Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
ccl Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Just found a 1950 vintage M70 270 Win with 2x7 Leoupold vx2 for $275.00 metals good but stock has been redone and cut short with pad instaled(to short for me )may ad a spacer for now but would like to get a factor stock to put on it, gun parts has a few pre war stocks with out but metal. My qustion
is will pre war stock fit (think so) and any other places to find factory vintage stocks.

HR IC

H
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
H
Pre war stock wont fit. Pre war guns had a clover leaf tang recessed into the stock. Some transition guns had the clover leaf but most didn't. Certainly by 50' they all had the more modern tang.

C
ccl Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Thanks , good to know will look at gun shows for one . Have some hard rock maple I will cut for spacer , won't look great but hey long as I can shoot it .

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
It shouldn't be that hard to find a stock. If you can't find a take-off, let me know and I have a couple around that I will let go for cheap.

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
If your not too picky you can find some decent ones on ebay every once in a while. I sold about 4 of them last year that were very nice. Sounds like you got a hell of a deal on the pre 64 though. They are very nice rifles.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Last one I bought on E-bay, though quite nice, was about $425. It was a year or so ago, so i may have bought it from bsa,

Democracy is not freedom. Democracy is two wolves and a lamb voting on what to eat for lunch. Freedom comes from the recognition of certain rights which may not be taken, not even by a 99% vote.
*Marvin Simkin* L.A. Times (1992)
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Well, I sold mine because it wasn't perfect. Although it was original to my rifle it was maybe in 92% condiditon. It was a 1951 model standard and I sold it for around $350.00 (if I can remember correctly blush). I put my barreled action in a "shooter stock" and one of my friends got all over my azz for selling the original (needless to say he didn't like it when I told him he needed to mind his own damn business about what I do with my stuff). I like shooting my rifles and will someday get an original in better condition. Until then I'll use it like it is since it shoots great with the stock that I took the time to bed it for a rock sholid foundation and very consistent accuracy. Here's a pic of my original stock and sling:
[Linked Image]

Here's how it looks now:
[Linked Image]
The new stock (1959 vintage) is pillar bedded with steel bed at the recoil lug and tang and freefloated past the chamber area with a dummy screw put in for looks at the forend grin. Barrel channel is glass bedded with accraglass and sealed up good:
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

I like good shooting rifles and this one is consistent. I'll probably be using it on the 28th for a "hunting rifle" shoot.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/013-5.jpg[/img]
[img]http://i1180.photobucket.com/albums/x401/chiefbsa/015-5.jpg[/img]

Like I said they are damn nice rifles and some are pretty good shooters. My friend oldfenderguy has another one that will outshoot this one mad OP, You should post some pics of that bad boy. Another option for your rifle is a mcmillan if you like synthetic stocks.

I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
DON'T LET SWAMPY SEE THIS POST! It will totally ruin his theory about Winchesters not shooting well, or any other 'MOUSERS' smile

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
ccl - GREAT GRAB!!!!

BSA hunter, those are some excellent groups. NIce shooting and nice rifle for sure.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by safariman
ccl - GREAT GRAB!!!!

BSA hunter, those are some excellent groups. NIce shooting and nice rifle for sure.

Thanks safariman, I love the pre 64's and this one functions flawlessly. Never a bit of problems with it grin.

BSA MAGA
IC B3

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
The post-war tang is larger than the pre-war cloverleaf tang, but the action screw spacing is the same, so it is pretty easy to inlet a pre-war stock for a post-war action.

R
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
R
Most pre-wars were low stocked designed for using open sights, not scopes, so even if you do some inletting on the tang you probably wont be happy with the stock.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Not too mention that the stocks with lots of drop will come up and knock you in the chops with a heavy recoiling load. Find a later model stock or, like I did, go with an aftermarket wood stock.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
No, no. He needs to experience hunting with a Lyman 48 peep sight and the original gold bead.
Found a nice, pre-64 with the original safety in .270. Had an ancient Pecar scope. The guy wants $1250 for it.....
Somehow, I wasn't tempted. E

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by safariman
Not too mention that the stocks with lots of drop will come up and knock you in the chops with a heavy recoiling load. Find a later model stock or, like I did, go with an aftermarket wood stock.

You guys are making great points. Don't know if the op wants an original stock or an aftermarket or what though. I like my later (1959) stock for the reasons safariman mentions. The pre 64's are hard to beat when they are in an aftermarket synthetic too. Hell, even oldfenderguy's pre 64 with its ramline stock shoots amazingly well. If he's just looking for a nice stock with the correct length of pull to fit him I'd keep an eye on ebay and gunbroker.

BSA MAGA
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by bsa1917hunter

Thanks safariman, I love the pre 64's and this one functions flawlessly. Never a bit of problems with it grin.

That's pretty normal....... smile

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Bob, I think that's Swampy's line, and he's gonna be mad you used it without his permission...

“There are some who can live without wild things and some who cannot.”
ALDO LEOPOLD
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Marty: I'm in trouble now! grin

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
C
ccl Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Picking it up today will, try it out this weekend if I can,want to keep it in walnut if I can. Will keep an eye out for a stock on the net and gun shows not in any hurry. Had a 49 vintage in 30/06 for a long time shot pretty good but needed somthing diffrent at the time (had four 06 at the time)and sold it for 400.00 ten years ago wish I had it back now. Will post how it shoots with the one load I mad up and some factory stuff, havn't posted a photo yet but will give it a try soon. Buy the way this is my first 270 that ive owend but have loaded for sevral frinds so not new at this (35 years a handloader).

thanks much, CCL

Last edited by ccl; 05/19/11.
C
ccl Offline OP
OP Offline
C
Took out the pre 64 m70 270 today. I was impressed, after zeroing I shot four 5 shot groups thant ran from 7/8in to 5/8 with the first and only load I had for it (Horn.130 sp 58gr H4831sc)Have to get my Crony repaired and try some more loads or just quit while its good, have an other red box on the way.

As for the stock it will need a spacer to fit me and a new modren pad the one that was put on it is very hard . If my 30/06 Model 70 had shot that well I never would have traded it away (1.5in was the best it would ever do)for a varmit gun.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

582 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 1badf350, 007FJ, 1Akshooter, 55 invisible), 2,454 guests, and 1,268 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,049
Posts18,500,981
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.