Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6
#5250669 05/18/11
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
How come you hardly hear Browning A-5's mentioned here at the fire? I think they are one of the coolest guns ever.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Well...I suppose I've found my "weird niche". smile

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
i shot one when i was in high school, wish i still had it.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have several. Think they're bitchin.

Folks are too attached to plastic Benelli garbage these days.

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Don't know lt, but I have two belgian sweet 16's and a jap, a solid rib 12 ga and 2 M11 with solid ribs sorta like them myself. Magnum Man

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Maybe it's a regional thing. Back in the day, here in the swamps it was the gun to have.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by WheelchairBandit
I have several. Think they're bitchin.

Folks are too attached to plastic Benelli garbage these days.

Brian.
Couldn't agree more, Brian. I'd take an old A-5 any day. Wish I still had the one I let get away. Benelli? I'll never own one. 'Sounds more like a company that makes sausage grinders than shotguns.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
Campfire Kahuna
OP Offline
Campfire Kahuna
Good, I was beginning to think I was special. smile

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Folks are too attached to plastic garbage these days.

Brian.

agreed

DEATH BEFORE DISHONOR

I LOVE MY COUNTRY IT'S THE GOV'T I FEAR
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ltppowell
Maybe it's a regional thing. Back in the day, here in the swamps it was the gun to have.

They were very popular on the west coast too. All the old duck and brant hunters I know all owned at least one A5. The duck hunters I run into these days don't even know what an A5 is. They all shoot Benelli's or an 870 Express.

Brian.

"You set your own goals for success, and when you succeed it don't necessarily mean that you're going to be a big star or make a lot of money or anything. You'll feel it in your heart whether you've succeeded or not." - Roy Buchanan
IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
killed alot of bobwhites with the one i had.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
the A5 was my only shotgun for over a decade.

Great grouse gun.

Spot

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
When Benelli first put wood on the M1 Super 90 I traded a 24" barreled Montefeltro and some cash for that 26" M1 S90 and never looked back. Shot a lot of birds and fowl with that Benelli it was nice and still is.But I sure like the old A-5. Magnum Man

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
that's what I shoot for ducks, unless I'm shooting a double.

I have one beater 12 Ga. with a swapped out Jap barrel to shoot steel shot.....and a mint round knob with a four barrel set that I'm keeping pristine, in case I manage to somehow break my beater.

also have a mint 20 ga. magnum that is my son's.

have used a ton of 1100s and an 11-87 for ducks, but got tired of breakdowns. A-5s just keep on ticking.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
When I was a kid I shot my dad's A5. When I became a man I found I could not afford an A5 so I got a used Rem M11 or two or three.

Alan

Food is at the core of Hunting and Fishing - Rebecca Gray

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Magnum_Man
When Benelli first put wood on the M1 Super 90 I traded a 24" barreled Montefeltro and some cash for that 26" M1 S90 and never looked back. Shot a lot of birds and fowl with that Benelli it was nice and still is.But I sure like the old A-5. Magnum Man

My problem with the Benelli's is that they don't have any personality. They're all pretty much the same, whereas A5's and even 870 Wingmasters all have their own individual vibe.

I'm certain that the Benelli is an awesome tool though. My taste in guns is pretty weird by most standards anyway, so take what I say with a grain of salt. On second thought, take everything I say with a grain of salt.

Brian.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by ltppowell
They were very popular on the west coast too. All the old duck and brant hunters I know all owned at least one A5. The duck hunters I run into these days don't even know what an A5 is. They all shoot Benelli's or an 870 Express.

Brian.
They were especially popular here in Oklahoma for quail. No plug required for quail and five rounds as fast as you could pull the trigger.

I don't bird hunt much anymore, but when I do I've had to give the nod to my Gold Hunter. (Though I still enjoy shooting my Light 20 on occasion.) The Auto 5 and its Savage, Remington, and Franchi derivatives were good, but the Benelli and Browning Gold iterations really are an improvement, as much as people don't want to admit. (Fewer moving parts, more versatile.)

I have come here to chew bubblegum and kick ass. And I'm all out of bubblegum.

Originally Posted by safariman
I do tend to fit in well wherever I go in person.

Originally Posted by Fireball2
The campfire is the most outside exposure I get. No TV, no newspaper.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have a Sweet Sixteen myself. It's a safe queen now because it was my dad's that he bought in the early 60's. We both killed a lot of pheasants in Michigan with that thing.

It is incumbent on every generation to pay its own debts as it goes. A principle which if acted on would save one-half the wars of the world. - Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
also have a mint 20 ga. magnum that is my son's.

I envy your son. I've wanted one of those for as long as I can remember. Whenever I had money in my pocket, I always ran into the Light 20's, which for some reason never appealed to me. All the Mag 20's I have run into were wayyyyyy out of my price range.

Brian.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Bricktop
The Auto 5 and its Savage, Remington, and Franchi derivatives were good, but the Benelli and Browning Gold iterations really are an improvement, as much as people don't want to admit. (Fewer moving parts, more versatile.)

I agree that they are more modern, more effective tools. I can't get jonesed up to hunt with one though. I also refuse to own a 30/06 or a 270. I'm a weird dude when it comes to guns.

Brian.

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

570 members (12344mag, 10gaugemag, 160user, 1936M71, 1234, 007FJ, 56 invisible), 2,532 guests, and 1,397 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,695
Posts18,475,163
Members73,941
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.