Print Thread
Hop To
L
lochsa Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
I'm going to upgrade my daypack for hunting and have decided on a Mystrey Ranch pack. I was originally interested in the Bighorn (currently not available), Dragon Slayer and 3 Day assult.

I haven't been able to find many photos of these packs in use to get an idea of size. I like the stick-it pocket and have something similar on my current pack. I also would like side pockets for water bottles etc.. The dragon slayer has neither but seems to be the right size.

2000 cubic inches may be too small and 3000 seems on the large side. I carry quite a bit of gear normally.

Any photos would be appreciated as well as your comments.

GB1

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
I've only used my Bighorn for about a year but so far really like it. Strictly day hunts and just fooling around scouting, hiking etc.. Plenty of room and very comfortable.
I use the side pockets for a spotter and tripod, the Bighorn has a decent size water pouch that works fine.

Whole deer.
[Linked Image]

Whole pronghorn.
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Whole pheasant...grin
[Linked Image]

I tested the rear flap with about 60lbs of steel a couple weeks ago. Not how you want to carry/balance that much weight but the flap held up fine.
[Linked Image]

Last edited by SamOlson; 05/19/11.
L
lochsa Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
thanks Sam. That is just what I'm after. From what I gather, the Bighorn is being redesigned and won't be available for a few months.

The color choices are elk hide tan, mule deer grey or camo. I might have to go with camo to be safe.

Sweet looking Kimber too. 257R?

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Originally Posted by lochsa
thanks Sam. That is just what I'm after. From what I gather, the Bighorn is being redesigned and won't be available for a few months.

The color choices are elk hide tan, mule deer grey or camo. I might have to go with camo to be safe.

Sweet looking Kimber too. 257R?

I think I read some comments here that MR is doing away with the side pockets and the stick it on the new Bighorn. If I'm wrong I'm sure someone with more knowledge will correct me. I hope they don't get rid of those features as I would like a Bighorn myself. That or a stick it on the Dragon Slayer would work too.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I would call MR regarding the Bighorn. It should be close to if not in the beginning stages of actual production. I was quoted approximately mid-June for availability as of @ 1.5 months ago. At that point the bottle pockets and stick-it were still under consideration. They should at least have the features finalized by now. 406-585-1428 for Kenzie.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I think I heard that they were going to keep the stikit but the water bottle pockets PALS webbing and the pocket to put the waist belt were going to be gone. They also weren't going to offer it in Multicam anymore but then about a month ago they said that they might be offering it in Multicam again. They said they weren't going to offer it in Optifade.

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
http://media.bowsite.com/search/searchaction.cfm

Contact Mark Seacat and he will answer any question you have. Or read the attached posts. The website has a bunch of pictures too.

Good Shooting!
H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Ok the link did not work, but search the National forums and type in seacat.

Good Shooting!
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Original Dragon Slayer, Foliage Green
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Not much of a picture but within this pack (MR 3 Day Assault) resides approx. 35lbs. of venison....................

[Linked Image]

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
6500 CBMR... It gets USED
[Linked Image]

Buddy rocks the NICE 6500 from Bozeman. It's about 180 bucks plusher in the yoke and harness
[Linked Image]

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

Longbow...last June in Wyoming.

[Linked Image]

Same hunt..

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
L
lochsa Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
L
thanks for the responses. I put in an order for the Dragon Slayer. Since they are going through some design changes, I will be late July before it ships.

The 3D assault looks about the same size as what i have now. I wanted something a little larger. The DS is similar in size to the Long Bow and should be about perfect.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (673, 10gaugemag, 2ndwind, 1minute, 29aholic, 12 invisible), 1,880 guests, and 911 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,758
Posts18,514,941
Members74,017
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.