Print Thread
Hop To
C
ChasR Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Not exactly sure where this should be posted, so I'll throw it out to the Campfire in general.

The posting the the Custom Rifle thread about gunsmith turnaround times, and the reasons behind it, has inspired me to seek the general wisdom of the Fire before pestering my gunsmith.

So, here is the problem. I have a 788 (.308) that ejects the round up into the scope turret. The Leupold is already mounted in a medium height mount and going higher may pose a problem for the very small framed eventual end user. Currently, I've simply rotated the scope but am wondering if anyone is familiar with any modification to the rifle that might allow a more 'traditional' use of the current scope and ring combination.

Having had couple of 1911 style pistols modified for ejection by having the ejection port 'lowered' - I was wondering if that was possible for a rifle, specifically the 788?

Any other possible solutions for remedying this situation?

GB1

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Its a common problem with 788's. Most rotate their scopes 90 degrees as you did.

Fixed!

Last edited by Bend; 05/20/11.
A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Rotate the scope so the windage turret becomes the elevation turret?

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Yep, rotate the scope tube. If it doesn't beat you in spatial thought, it'll make you better. grin

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Question:

Does this occur when you cycle the action in a positive and fairly speedy manner like you would in the event of a follow-up shot in a hunting situation or is this occurring at bench sessions when you are trying catch brass?

The reason I ask is that I have 4 788's with a pretty wide variety of scopes and do not have an issue with any of them - except when bench shooting and trying to keep brass from hitting the ground.

Have a good day man. In honor of personal freedom and the open squirrel season, I think I'll go put a hole through dinner's head.
IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
All four of my 788s do that. My scope turrets have a distinct brass stain where cases hit them. I had one where the one-piece scope base was interfering with the ejection, and I simply ground away that part of the base. It cured the problem on that rifle, but on the others, the turret is in just the wrong spot and that's the interference. I don't know of a fix.

If you rotate the scope 90� (not 180�, obviously), remember that "Right" is the new "Up" and "Up is the new "Left."

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

C
ChasR Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Monkey_Joe
Question:

Does this occur when you cycle the action in a positive and fairly speedy manner like you would in the event of a follow-up shot in a hunting situation or is this occurring at bench sessions when you are trying catch brass?

The reason I ask is that I have 4 788's with a pretty wide variety of scopes and do not have an issue with any of them - except when bench shooting and trying to keep brass from hitting the ground.

How you cycle the action doesn't appear to have any impact on the end result. It's close enough that a loaded round will eject but an empty casing doesn't have enough momentum to get by the turret.

Thanks for your answers so far! I'm still hoping someone has figured out how to shape the ejection port, but doesn't sound like that's going to happen!

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I'm going to quit reading here - you guys have jinxed me!!!!

I just cycled a loaded round through my well worn 223 and the round hit the cap and bounced back in to the open action. Cycle an empty and you can hear it ping off the cap. I have shot that rifle thousands of times and used to use it for some semi-serious coyote calling and never experienced any trouble or failure to feed. I suspect those empties have been pinging off all along but just never noticed it. Different scope now, though...
Bench shooting I always try to catch brass, loaded or empty.

I cycled my 243 and the brass cleanly clears the cap on its Burris FFII 3-9.

Have a good day man. In honor of personal freedom and the open squirrel season, I think I'll go put a hole through dinner's head.
C
ChasR Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by Monkey_Joe

I cycled my 243 and the brass cleanly clears the cap on its Burris FFII 3-9.

That's interesting. So a Burris FFII 3-9 works. How is it mounted? Those of you that have 788s that eject properly with a scope - would you mind sharing what components you have in that set up?

Does anyone think that caliber makes a difference?

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Medium height Burris (Zee??) rings. 1 piece Weaver base.

Conventional mounting.

Unfortunately, my other two rifles are not here at the house. They have a Bushnell 3200 3-9x40(22-250) with Weaver rings and base, and a Leupold Vari-X III 3.5-10x40 (308) with a disremembered set of rings. They both function flawlessly but I can not say for a fact that the 22-250 does not ping the cap.

The previously mentioned 223 lived most of its' hunting career with a Leupold 2-7x33. Those scopes have a low profile turret and cap so I suspect that when I was jacking the bolt at a lot of coyotes the brass was not hitting the cap.

Have to run now, but when I get a second or two I'll measure the cap heights on the two rifles I have close by and let you know if that sheds any light on the issue.

IC B3

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I'd make sure I had a spare spring on hand, but I'd be willing to bet money if you pulled the ejector spring and took half a coil off it, and tried it again and again, you could tune the ejector to where it still is totally reliable but tosses them away from the scope just enough.

I have 2 in 243, have never had any issues that I noticed. Doesn't mean it ain't happened on em, just that they continue to work and I often don't notice a bump or bruise so to speak. Just keep the barrel clean and use the gun as hard as needed.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
The 788 I had never had that problem. Of course, it had a Tasco already mounted on it from the factory when I bought it new. Your problem is that Leupold. 788's ain't made for expensive scopes. laugh

C
ChasR Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Originally Posted by ColeYounger
The 788 I had never had that problem. Of course, it had a Tasco already mounted on it from the factory when I bought it new. Your problem is that Leupold. 788's ain't made for expensive scopes. laugh

LOL - Smarta$$ !!

C
ChasR Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Interesting idea - I'll look into it. Thanks.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Cee, the only difference in my two rifles is Burris mids versus Burris lows.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
I had the same problem with one in .243 until I put a Leupold VX-1 3x9 on it.Problem solved.

Neil

Dong Ha Vietnam '67
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Mine is a 243 with a Leupold Vari-X II 2-7 in low rings.

Have never noticed it hitting the scope.

"An open message for all Democrats; "Look you are nothing and your work is worthless. Anyone who chooses you is detestable."
Isaiah 41:24 (HCSB)

C
ChasR Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
C
Well that's interesting - two .243s with Leupolds. I'd think that the dimensions and geometry of a .243 would be pretty similar to a .308.

Next step, wander over to my local sporting goods/gun dealer with rifle and empty brass in hand. Pretty sure they'll let me try different scopes to see which one works, if any.

Thanks for all the advice! I'll let you know what happens.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

269 members (1lessdog, 204guy, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 117LBS, 219 Wasp, 34 invisible), 2,474 guests, and 1,089 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,446
Posts18,528,764
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.