-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 17 of 61 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 60 61
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And yes, the insurance companies keep attorneys handy for all sorts of things, not just LEO. I talked to an insurance rep once about it. Most of their claims are because potholes messed up people's car alignment.

Originally Posted by SBTCO
your flippant remarks which you so adeptly sling
GB1

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by The_Real_Hawkeye
Originally Posted by Bluedreaux
15-20 seconds was enough time for Banks, who was in the shower and never heard the knocks.

You can disagree with the reasonableness of 30 seconds, but it does violate what the SCOTUS has set as a similar precedent, which is all I was saying.
If someone doesn't answer, come back a few hours later, or the next day and knock again. A search warrant was never intended to be an execution order, and convenience of the cops be damned if avoiding inconvenience means you have to batter someone's door down, guns at the ready, because he was in the shower or asleep when you knocked.

Exactly, you can argue the reasonableness of it as seen by you...But they didn't violate what the SCOTUS has set as a precedent.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

Exactly, you can argue the reasonableness of it as seen by you...But they didn't violate what the SCOTUS has set as a precedent.
Maybe so. Can't comment on that point for lack of on hand information, but it means next to nothing to me either way. If the SCOTUS authorizes a police state maneuver in violation of the original intent of the Fourth Amendment, that doesn't make it any less a police state maneuver in violation of the original intent of the Fourth Amendment. The law in any piece of legislation, or any clause of the Constitution, is found exclusively in the original intent of the framers, not in the post hoc "interpretation" (for "public policy considerations") of the Supreme Court. The latter, to the extent that it departs from original intent, constitutes a form of despotism, i.e., that imposed by a group of specially anointed men in black robes.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
And here's another for you... Young VS City of Killeen

If Young's movements gave Olson cause to believe that there was a threat of serious physical harm, Olson's use of deadly force was not a constitutional violation. Tennessee v. Garner, --- U.S. at ----, 105 S.Ct. at 1701, 85 L.Ed.2d at 9-10. The only fault found against Olson was his negligence in creating a situation where the danger of such a mistake would exist. We hold that no right is guaranteed by federal law that one will be free from circumstances where he will be endangered by the misinterpretation of his acts.

Even though the officer made procedural mistakes leading up to the use of force, the reasonableness of the use of force is determined by the facts and circumstances then known to the officer (Graham V Connor) and not the decisions that were made that led up to the use of force.

Granted, that came out of the 5th Circuit...I doubt the 9th (Arizona) would have ruled similarly.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
This is starting to get a lot of national attention.

AND the cops are LYING out there teeth.

Storie defended the long delay in allowing paramedics to enter the home, saying of the SWAT team, "They still don't know how many shooters are inside, how many guns are inside and they still have to assume that they will be ambushed if they walk in this house."

http://abcnews.go.com/US/tucson-swat-team-defends-shooting-iraq-marine-veteran/story?id=13640112

This is nothing but MURDER.

IC B2

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Foxbat
Calling a 30 second knock and crash, NOT a No-Knock warrant, is like saying you didn't rape the girl, because she was unable to say "no" with the duct tape over her mouth.

Just from the what the aritcle/wife stated.

He had enough time to be woke up, comprehend what was going on, tell his wife to get in a closet, get his AR, possibly load the AR and then make a decision on what he was going to do with that AR.

How much more time do you think they should have given him? Should they have waited on him to make breakfast?

He had all the time he needed to decide if he or his wife were going to open that door.

Dink

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
15-20 seconds was enough time for Banks, who was in the shower and never heard the knocks.

You can disagree with the reasonableness of 30 seconds, but it does violate what the SCOTUS has set as a similar precedent, which is all I was saying.
If someone doesn't answer, come back a few hours later, or the next day and knock again. A search warrant was never intended to be an execution order, and convenience of the cops be damned if avoiding inconvenience means you have to batter someone's door down, guns at the ready, because he was in the shower or asleep when you knocked.

How many times do you think they should have come back and knocked on the door? 5? 10? How long would it have taken him to get rid of whatever they looking for?

It was not a execution order. The suspect and his wife made the choices that caused this to happen. They could have walked to the front door and opened it but they did not.

Dink

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
They could have walked to the front door and opened it but they did not.

And then the cops murdered him.

Now the cop spin begins.

SWAT raid found guns, body armor

What Marine doesn't have guns?

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
The man worked night shift at a copper mine.

If they needed to take him into custody for whatever reason, it would have been easy enough to do so when he was getting off work.

The craziness that's going on with the police in this country is going to come to a bad end one of these days.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
S
The craziness that's going on with the police in this country is going to come to a bad end one of these days.

Your exactly right Bristoe!

IC B3

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by isaac
Originally Posted by LBP
TRH seems confused in what it takes to issue a warrant (search or arrest) or to arrest someone.

HINT its "probable cause"
Probable cause doesn't equate to presumption of guilt.

===========

That's what he was trying to teach you. You did seem confused but,what else is new?

Exactly my point...

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

The Schofield Kid: Yeah, well, I guess they had it coming.

Will Munny: We all got it coming, kid.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by DINK

How many times do you think they should have come back and knocked on the door? 5? 10? How long would it have taken him to get rid of whatever they looking for?
What you're doing is putting the success of prosecution ahead of the life a man and his family who are presumed innocent before the law. Our nation was established for one reason, i.e., to ensure that our rights are defended, not to ensure that prosecutors can have success in putting people behind bars for victimless activities.

PS How many times does UPS have to knock? If they have to knock more than twice, should they smash the door in to deliver their package?

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by LBP

Exactly my point...
I guess I shouldn't have assumed you two understand what is meant by "begging the question."

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by DINK

What you're doing is putting the success of prosecution ahead of the life a man and his family who are presumed innocent before the law. Our nation was established for one reason, i.e., to ensure that our rights are defended, not to ensure that prosecutors can have success in putting people behind bars for victimless activities.

PS How many times does UPS have to knock? If they have to knock more than twice, should they smash the door in to deliver their package?

When was the last time UPS was looking for evidence?. When was the last time a UPS driver arrested someone?

He is still presumed innocent until trial but that does not mean that there was not dope, police uniforms or illegal guns in the residence.

Dink

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L

So all the guys have to do to avoid the search warrant is never answer the door? Thats sounds like college kids on a loud party call...

Will Munny: It's a hell of a thing, killing a man. Take away all he's got and all he's ever gonna have.

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
He's likely an attorney hired by the city's insurance company.

Blue is correct as usual...

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Bend_Shooter
One thing seems abundantly clear at this point: some folks are not about to let the facts (or the lack thereof) get in the way of their agenda.

I am seeing distinct parallels these days with what went on during the Vietnam era when people took out their dislike/distrust of the Federal government and it's policies on the troops.

At least we learned from that sorry chapter, and once again hold our troops in high esteem, even if we differ in our views of the wars.

Now, it seems that many are taking out their frustrations with the goverment, and/or the current adminsitration, on public employees in general, and peace officers in particular...

Agreed...

L
LBP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
Originally Posted by Bristoe

If they needed to take him into custody for whatever reason, it would have been easy enough to do so when he was getting off work.

It was a search warrant not an arrest warrant...

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by LBP

So all the guys have to do to avoid the search warrant is never answer the door? Thats sounds like college kids on a loud party call...
There's a huge gap between smashing down doors, guns drawn, because someone's in the shower or asleep, and allowing someone to use the ploy you're suggesting to perpetually escape a warrant. Reason lies somewhere in the middle, I think.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by LBP
Originally Posted by Bristoe

It was a search warrant not an arrest warrant...
Doesn't matter. Present him with the search warrant as he's leaving work, then invite him to come with you to unlock the door. If he then chooses not to, inform him that you're going in whether or not he cooperates. My guess is he'd then open the door for you.

Page 17 of 61 1 2 15 16 17 18 19 60 61

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

59 members (338Rules, 6mmbrfan, atvalaska, 9 invisible), 928 guests, and 852 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,120
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.