B
Bigamp Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
O my this could get interesting!

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20110521/ap_on_el_ge/us_cain2012

ATLANTA � Herman Cain has run a pizza chain, hosted a talk radio show and sparred with Bill Clinton over health care. He's never held elected office.

Now the tea party favorite wants to be president.

"In case you accidentally listen to a skeptic or doubting Thomas out there, just to be clear ... I'm running for president of the United States, and I'm not running for second," he told a crowd at Centennial Olympic Park on Saturday. Chants of "Herman" erupted from the crowd of thousands in downtown Atlanta.

The announcement by the businessman, author and talk radio show host that he was joining the expanding Republican field came after months of traveling around the country to introduce himself to voters.

Now the 65-year-old will see if he can use that grass-roots enthusiasm to turn a long-shot campaign into a credible bid.

[ For complete coverage of politics and policy, go to Yahoo! Politics ]

Cain supports a strong national defense, opposes abortion, backs replacing the federal income tax with a national sales tax and favors a return to the gold standard. He said President Barack Obama "threw Israel under the bus" because he sought to base Mideast border talks partly on the pre-1967 war lines, and criticized the Justice Department for challenging Arizona's tough crackdown on illegal immigration.

"We shouldn't be suing Arizona," he said to cheers. "We ought to send them a prize."

Cain lost a three-way Republican U.S. Senate primary bid in Georgia in 2004 with one-quarter of the vote. His "Hermanator" political action committee has taken in just over $16,000 this year. He said he's running "a bottoms-up, outside-the-box campaign." Supporters say he taps into the tea party-fueled desire for plain-speaking citizen candidates.

Born in Memphis, Tenn., and raised in Atlanta, Cain is the son of a chauffeur and a maid. He attended historically black Morehouse College, earned a master's degree from Purdue University and worked as a mathematician for the Navy before beginning to scale the corporate ladder.

He worked at Coca-Cola, Pillsbury and Burger King before taking the helm of the failing Godfather's Pizza franchise, which he rescued by shuttering hundreds of restaurants.

He burst onto the political stage when he argued with President Clinton over the Democrat's health care plan at a 1994 town hall meeting.

"On behalf of all of those business owners that are in a situation similar to mine," asked Cain, "my question is, quite simply, if I'm forced to do this, what will I tell those people whose jobs I will have to eliminate?"

The late Jack Kemp, the GOP vice presidential nominee in 1996, once described Cain as having "the voice of Othello, the looks of a football player, the English of Oxfordian quality and the courage of a lion."

In 2006, Cain was diagnosed with liver and colon cancer. He says he's been cancer-free since 2007 and credits the nation's health care system with keeping him alive. He says it's one reason he's so opposed to the health overhaul championed by Obama.

At the speech, Cain tried to build a foundation for his run for the White House. He said the American dream is under attack from runaway debt, a stagnant economy, a muddled foreign policy and an influx of illegal immigrants. He said Americans should be infuriated because the Obama administration's $787 billion stimulus program "didn't stimulate diddly."

"It's time to get real, folks. Hope and change ain't working," he said. "Hope and change is not a solution. Hope and change is not a job."

GB1

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Best option the (R)s have at this point.

The GOP-establishment won't back him, though, and the MSM will castigate him as an "uncle Tom".

byc Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
yup! Very predictable.

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

B
Bigamp Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
B
I concur.........

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by VAnimrod

The GOP-establishment won't back him, though, and the MSM will castigate him as an "uncle Tom".

I also predict the MSM to tear him apart on the fact that he is a colon cancer survivor. They will declare him unelectable because his health may fail during his presidency if elected. The stupid will eat that up hook, line, and sinker.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'd love to see Cain/Bachman ticket.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
hmmm,..Herman Cain,..a black, former Chairman of the Board of the Federal Reserve Bank of Kansas City.

No thank you.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Naw, you'd just prefer a shyster whose hypocrisy in Congress is nearly legendary.

Typical.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
And Bachman,..a female former prosecutor for the IRS.

*These* are the people the GOP is leaning towards?

A black banker and a female lawyer.

Yep!,..that *definitely* would be enough to wrap this whole mess up in fine fashion.

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
With all due respect,..how do people come up with these crazy ideas?

IC B3

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Yep!,..that *definitely* would be enough to wrap this whole mess up in fine fashion.

Figure they'll push Cantor for SecState or Speaker of the House, too.

Careful, Gauleiter, your roots are showing again....

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by Bristoe

Figure they'll push Cantor for SecState or Speaker of the House, too.

Careful, Gauleiter, your roots are showing again....

Hey there butt kisser.

Whose flute ya tootin' today?

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Guess I'll have to scroll back through the thread to see who you're trying to suck up to in *this* one.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Doesn't matter I suspect the Tea Party will support him. Support from the GOP would be like a knife in the back.

NRA Lifetime Member
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S

I am still holding out for West. The two of them would be tops in my book.

The first time I shot myself in the head...

Meniere's Sucks Big Time!!!
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Yes lets just finish killing America. Where do these choices keep coming from?

Time spent hunting is not deducted from one's lifetime.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
�I like Herman Cain�He�s not a politician. He is a business man. He knows how to make payroll and pay his employees� benefits. He also knows how to make a good pizza."
Gov. Palin

Last edited by BOWSINGER; 05/22/11.

Leo of the Land of Dyr

NRA FOR LIFE

I MISS SARAH

“In Trump We Trust.” Right????

SOMEBODY please tell TRH that Netanyahu NEVER said "Once we squeeze all we can out of the United States, it can dry up and blow away."

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
So let's see,....we've got represented here:

A female soccer mom, (Palin)
A black warmonger, (West)
A female prosecutor for the IRS, (Bachman)
A black former official for the Federal Reserve, (Cain)

,..and many of the people supporting them call Ron Paul a "kook".

We're almost there.

Get ready for it.

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Do they let you wear the hood and robe to the local RP rallies, or do have to save that for the special event fundraisers?

B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Do they let you wear the hood and robe to the local RP rallies, or do have to save that for the special event fundraisers?

So today you're the campfire advocate for multiculturalism?

Yappy and confused,...that's you.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

430 members (10Glocks, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 1beaver_shooter, 19rabbit52, 48 invisible), 16,911 guests, and 1,238 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,875
Posts18,538,030
Members74,050
Most Online20,796

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.