Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Thinking very seriously about buying a side by side ATV. Looking very closely at the Polaris Ranger. It is wider than the Yamaha Rhino. I am big enough that the bench seats and additional room are pluses for me. I'd be glad to hear your collective experiences in this area.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
How fast do you want do go, Joel? If speed isn't a concern but brute strength and ruggedness is, buy a Kubota and don't look back.
We have had ours for six years now and still love it. Sips fuel, loads of torque, seats two BIG people comfortably or three normal folks who like each other.

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Kubota is the best (a little pricey), Yamaha's are TOUGH (especially the 450), Polaris is comfortable (but it's a Polaris...good luck.). I have no experience with the the new Honda. Lots of guys use the cheaper utility vehicles that so many people make, with few complaints.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Crimson Tide,
The guy I share a camp with bought a gas Ranger, it is VERY loud. He bought the electric version and it is great!

ROLL TIDE!!

C
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Speed is definitely no concern. I am more of the putt around kind. Just want to make the strip job runs, and use it during deer season.

"The number one problem with America is, a whole lot of people need shot, and nobody is shooting them."
-Master Chief Hershel Davis

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I don't think anything comes close to the Kubota. Have had every diesel version they have and like the 1140 the best. Converts from a 2 seater with long bed to a comfortable 4 seater in about 2 minutes. Runs about 18 hrs on the hr meter on a tank of diesel(less in low gear/4x4). They have engine breaking so when you go down a hill you don't need to engage the breaks. They are built like tanks.

Second choice would be a Kawasaki Mule. Excellent machines with good reliability. Last choice would be a Polaris. Read up on the forums. I want to use my machines, not deal with repairs.

[Linked Image]

Not the best picture of it converted to a 4 seater but you get the idea,

[Linked Image]

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Crimson, another to consider would be the John Deere gator XUV 855d. I didn't think this would work for you because they always had bucket seats but when I looked it up they now have bench seats as an option(no cost upgrade). My neighbor has one for his heavy equipment business. They run gas lines for gas companies and work in real rugged terrain. They use the Gator to get back and forth when out on the job. I've ridden in it a half dozen times and am amazed by it's power and low center of gravity. My neighbor is 73 years old and scarred the heck out of me by the way he was driving along the edge of hills but it never came close to tipping. He knows what he's doing after driving heavy equipment for 50 years but I didn't like it one bit. Gave the old fella a chuckle seeing me sqirm.

It's truly an amazing machine and I'd buy one in a heartbeat now that it has a bench seat but I'm happy with the utility of my 4 seater.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Okay, I'll play Devil's Advocate - why buy one of the UTV's, when you can get a decent street-legal jeep or Bronco for less money?

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
I wouldn't go diesel. Slow - - - - - Gators are sporty now. Thinking the 825 would make a nice one, and not that pricey for what you get.

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
we have to use 4wheelers or ATVs on our lease. I use a golf cart but tried one of my students Polaris Razor. That thing had some kind of hop up kit on it and said it would run 80. Scared the crap outta this old man...

IC B3

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I have the Honda Big Red. Only complaint is they made it exactly 60 inches wide so it won't fit on my 5x8 trailer. Other than that, it's been tough and the tip able bed holds a lot of stuff.

I do like that it has the automotive type transmission, rather than those belts some of the side by sides use, that slip if they get wet.

[Linked Image]

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Have a 2008 Rhino and a new diesel Gator. The Rhino has taken a beaten and is good machine but am loving the gator diesel. The Rhino is great for playing and the Gator is comfort without the noise.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
You said you are a big guy, makes sure you sit in one for a while before you decide on it. My dad has a Mule, and I can barely ride in it or drive it because the leg room is terrible. Great machine, but the design of the floorboard where the front wheels are is horrible.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal
Okay, I'll play Devil's Advocate - why buy one of the UTV's, when you can get a decent street-legal jeep or Bronco for less money?

Yep!!! Or what I did...a GEO Tracker 4x4 for 2500 bucks...street legal

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I love my Rhino 660. Had it sine 2006 and absolutely no problems. Rides great, good clearance and very maneuverable.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A

Why? Much shorter wheelbase means very small turning circle and approach/departure angles are also better unless you get into big tires and lift kits, a hydraulic dump bed that has ALL kinds of uses, accessory hyrdaulics to run other gear if you want/need to, better view of the ground all around the tires for maneuvering around obstacles, no real emissions crap to contend with (less parts to break)and just a much handier platform to work out of.

That's my story and I'm stickin' to it... smile

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
I've had the kawasaki teryx for a few years and so far have no complaints, no breakdowns, no issues. i put a removable bench seat in the back for the kids, 4 bolts and it's out for working the lease.

Last edited by Tim M; 05/21/11.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

If they have brake lights, a mirror and a horn, they can be registered and plated here for street use. I guess a UTV would need seat belts as well, but I suspect they have those.

Last edited by Cheyenne; 05/22/11.

"Don't believe everything you see on the Internet" - Abraham Lincoln
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
go drive a Can-Am and then drive the others and you will go running back to the Can-Am. the commander is in a league of it's own

http://en-us.can-amside-by-side.brp...amp;utm_campaign=ATV/SSV%20Spring%202011

Last edited by whambasted; 05/22/11.

mercy triumphs over judgement
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
The Kubotas are nice machines but they are way to heavy for rough-duty stuff like a regular ATV can handle. I have ridden/driven most of them. If you can keep a Ranger running and from breaking, they are pretty nice. For agility and handiness, the Razr is the top. If I were to buy a new one today, it would be the Teryx or Can-am.

We can register pretty much anything with wheels here as long as it has brake lights, mirrors and a horn...

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

73 members (BALLISTIK, beefan, 6mmbrfan, 907brass, Akhutr, 7mm_Loco, 8 invisible), 1,296 guests, and 973 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,748
Posts18,495,224
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.