Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
zxc Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Crows know the effective range of rifles. When I was a kid they stayed out of range of my .177 air rifle, really had to work at wacking one. One day I got a Remington Nylon 66 semi-auto, bagged 14 crows the first day. After that it was about the same as with the air rifle.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Winnie1300
Crows are smart.

They can recognize guns and hunters vs hikers.

And they can fly, also. That's what really bugs me!

The Mayans had it right. If you�re going to predict the future, it�s best to aim far beyond your life expectancy, lest you wind up red-faced in a bunker overstocked with Spam and ammo.

Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
I know they mate for life... I have shot one crow, and it's mate"cried & cawed" for the next half hour bringing several more crows within range...They are very social animals, and one's alarm/ distress call can bring in large groups of crows.(uesful if hunting). they can see color, so hunter's orange is a dead give away for hunters... Do not use orange, and they can not pick you out so well.

My grandfather once shot aflying crow out of the air & it hit the ground wounded. He simply said "watch this", and proceeded to pick up the bird, fold his wings behind it so that he could grasp both in his left hand, and held the shotgun in his right hand... he then "shook" the bird and got him stirred up so that it started frantically repeating a series of high pitched distress calls... within minutes, over a dozen crows were flying overhead.... We shot another 4 birds, before the fist one died.

I have seen Crows attack buzzards, hawks, falcons, and larger birds of prey larger than themselves like great horned Owls , yet run just the same from much smaller birds like Mocking birds & Blue jays...

I would not place their intellignece levels above [bleep], but agree their eyesight is exceptional, and their peanut sized brain is about the same size as a full grown alligator's... lb per lb, it serves them better.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
L
I would lay odds that the smartest animal would be something like TLee's cat. I am sure it has an easy life.

B
BCBrian Offline OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
B
The mirror experiment worked with Crows, Ravens and Magpies - not Parrots, Macaws or Cockatoos.

Brian

Vernon BC Canada

"Nothing in life - can compare to seeing smiles on your children's faces."
IC B2

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by BCBrian
The mirror experiment worked with Crows, Ravens and Magpies - not Parrots, Macaws or Cockatoos.

OK, that makes sense.

[Linked Image]

C
CMH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
In addition to being able to recognize individuals, I saw something on them once showing them to hold grudges. The researchers did something to aggravate one or two of them, from then on whenever that individual appeared, the crows would display more threatening behavior.
Glad pigeons don't do that or my vehicles would never be the same....

C
CMH Offline
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Oh, and I've been told you have to clip their tongue if you want them to be able to 'talk', I guess it's too long for them to mimic the words and sounds. Not sure how reliable that is though.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I've been feeding the Stellar Jays whole peanuts today. They will bury them a little and then put a couple leaves on top of them..that's pretty smart if you ask me. laugh

Jed York does not own the 49ers; Russell Wilson does.
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (10gaugemag, 1936M71, 160user, 1234, 06hunter59, 1Longbow, 58 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,276 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,532
Posts18,491,244
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.