Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by T_O_M

Even if those were the only two options .. do you want your kid dead or do you want him alive?

Obviously I'd want them alive.

So how are you going to convince kids that drinking isn't cool? When I was a kid it was really cool because you lost your inhibitions and had fun with girls and from the stories I hear from ol' timers, it was cool long before I ever drank. Doesn't seem it will lose that appeal anytime in the near future.

Yeah it would be nice if kids spent more time outside enjoying the outdoors but I'd bet that ain't an option for many.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by stxhunter
i do think a lot of it can be stopped by the example the parents set.

I don't think that will be as effective as some might think.

Some of the wildest guys and girls I've ever met came from the strictest homes. Usually very religious as well.

Kids rebel or just want to have a good time. Near impossible to stop that.

S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
Originally Posted by T_O_M
Originally Posted by rrroae
Well then I suppose you could try to teach kids that it's more cool going to summer bible school rather than raising hell drinking and partying.

This may come as a shock, but there are more than just those two options.

I spent my summers working. When I wasn't working I was wandering around with a fly rod in one hand and a Colt SAA in the other.

Even if those were the only two options .. do you want your kid dead or do you want him alive? In that context Bible school does not seem so bad, y' know ... ?

Tom

90%+ of people, kids included, that drink don't get killed. Kids get killed in the rivers here every year and most of them aren't drunk. So fly fishing is a possible death sentence too if you wade. Life has risks and some people succumb to them. With any luck at all the others learn from it.

[Linked Image]
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M

Some of the wildest guys and girls I've ever met came from the strictest homes. Usually very religious as well.

Preacher's daughters spring to mind and memory. Whatta ride!

Have a good day man. In honor of personal freedom and the open squirrel season, I think I'll go put a hole through dinner's head.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The difference is alcohol changes your chemical balance and inhibits decision making...some might say fishing/hunting does the same to some people, however, I have never seen someone get a ticket for 'drinking while thinking of hunting/fishing' and have seen many get tickets for 'driving while intoxicated'.......some people will never learn and will argue this to the day they die, however, let someone who has been drinking drive their vehicle into yours and take the life of a loved one and the opinion will change drastically..........

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
nope. while i realize some kids are going to go down that path no matter what their parents do. i do think a lot of it can be stopped by the example the parents set.

I believe that is true. Many times it is easier to go the "they're going to do it anyway" route than it is to set a good example.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
As long as our culture glorifies drunkenness, there will always be these kinds of stories. Plus the thousands that die every year driving, that just don't kill themselves, but others.

It amazes me at every get together how often the conversation turns to, "You would never believe how drunk I was", stories. You would expect it from high school or college kids, but these are from people in their 40's to 70's.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Henry McCann

It amazes me at every get together how often the conversation turns to, "You would never believe how drunk I was", stories. You would expect it from high school or college kids, but these are from people in their 40's to 70's.

Getting older doesn't mean a fella can't still enjoy having a good time, whether it be hunting, fishing, screwin' or getting drunk.

To each his own.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Amazing how the accidents seem to almost always be fatal, yet when I read the front article in the American Rifleman where the gun owners are defending themselves, the criminal seldom gets killed, and often gets away totally.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by 5sdad
nope. while i realize some kids are going to go down that path no matter what their parents do. i do think a lot of it can be stopped by the example the parents set.

I believe that is true. Many times it is easier to go the "they're going to do it anyway" route than it is to set a good example.

Or you could explain to them that you know it happens and give them guidance on not getting out of control and tell them if they ever do drink they can call you for a ride without any repercussions.

IC B3

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Dont most/all burglers and bad guys that get caught say the same thing? "Oh I was drunk and thought it was my house." Seems like the standard response to me. Seems like most would question there location if their key doesnt work.
I for one have been so drunk in my day im damn lucky to be alive, but at no time did I not know what I was doing or where I was. Sure people can make mistakes, but blaming the booze is a crock. I think the old man was about to get robbed.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by 5sdad

Or you could explain to them that you know it happens and give them guidance on not getting out of control and tell them if they ever do drink they can call you for a ride without any repercussions.

there it is. called being a responsible parent..

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
'responsible parent'....whew.....opinions vary.

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
if one of my kids ever did drink and became impaired, i would want them to trust me enough to be able to call me for my help. once they were home safe we would discuss the consequences of their choices.

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
if one of my kids ever did drink and became impaired, i would want them to trust me enough to be able to call me for my help. once they were home safe we would discuss the consequences of their choices.

Do you really think they'd call you if they knew there were consequences?

I'm guessing that's the reason why there are as many kids killed in DWI accidents as there are.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
yep, that is the real reason..... lol

Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
mine would, and consequences doesn't necessarily mean punishment as much as what could of happened if they had choose to drive or keep drinking.
I've been blessed with kids that have commonsense

Old 300
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

I've been blessed with kids that have commonsense

Good to hear bud. You must have raised your kids right.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Originally Posted by flinch444
I for one have been so drunk in my day im damn lucky to be alive, but at no time did I not know what I was doing or where I was.

You must have been smart enough to not mix your booze!

As a teen, I sometimes drank for fun but mostly it was to "escape" or a coping mechanism. My pals Jim Beam & Jack Daniels helped me get through high school! When I was in my mid 20's "the whiskey quit workin" and I sought counseling.

I'm 46 now and still doubt that anybody could have reached me as a teenager. It would have taken a very good and patient counseling professional. If 2011 savage24 could go back and talk to 1983 savage24, 1983 would tell him to "F**K OFF".
How do you keep kids from drinking? I have no idea.

"There's no schadenfreude like Hillary Clinton schadenfreude."
- Tamara Keel
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I drink

about a couple of glasses of milk a day. grin

Nah, I think alcohol sucks and for weird people who need some sort of stimulus to have fun.

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

131 members (44mc, 470Evans, 7887mm08, 35, 338rcm, 16 invisible), 1,524 guests, and 892 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,453
Posts18,507,958
Members74,002
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.