Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Not all rifles even have a bolt shroud. I'm sitting here looking at the rear of the firing pin sticking out the back of my Enfield bolt for just one example.

GB1

O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by nsaqam
OK you win.

Where can I order plastic shrouds for my other rifles?

TIA.

Really that Plastic Shroud is just a cosmetic feature...with the shroud off you will have as much exposure to gas escaping as you would with a M70,77 or 700. The replacement aluminum shroud is just aesthetics and to keep dirt out of that mechanism.

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Originally Posted by NH K9
You have zero credibility. Period.

C'mon Makay, you expect us to take your word over Swampy's. Really.....a grocery bagger vs. the Remington expert wink .

George

Yep, still bagging groceries out in Rock Ridge!

That was one of the funniest threads ever!!

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Originally Posted by nsaqam
Originally Posted by Blackheart
Horse puckey ! You aren't seriously telling me you, Tikka or anybody else has any expectations of being protected from 60,000 psi gasses by a 1/32" thick plastic shroud are you ?

Nope, I'd say the plastic T-3 shroud would end up in your face but a steel or aluminum one may work just fine dealing with whatever gas gets into the bolt body from a pierced primer.

One advantage of the cheap Savage 110 action is that the back of the bolt is completely blocked by the bolt assembly screw.

Tad more than a pierced primer, I can tell you from experience of having a .308 getting let off in a .270 that the shooter got a small puff of gas in the face and that was it, did not realize the extent of the problem until he could not open the bolt. Only casualty was a crack in the housing.

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by Blackheart
I'm thinking Tikka is probably relying on the stepped, steel flange of the approx 3/8" thick, rear section of the firing pin, which is held in place by the dovetailed root of the bolt handle, to deflect errant gasses in the event of a pierced primer.

This is what I call the 'shroud'. The A7 came with a thin metal looking version covered in hard plastic. It might have lasted for a million rounds but I didn't like the idea of it inches from my eyeball holding a cocked firing pin. Who knows, gets real cold it maybe it snaps in half one day.

I was under the impression that Tikka uses a similiar 'shroud' to the A7. Obviously from what you say that is not the case.

This is an 85 'shroud' on the A7. One piece steel, probably weighs twice that of the original. It is solid and very well machined, probably why it costs about $90(that and [bleep]' Beretta....grin).
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

If anyone has a pic of a T3 'shroud' please post it, my original A7 version is out at my folks otherwise I would compare the two.

Last edited by SamOlson; 05/23/11.
IC B2

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Thank's for the pic's Sam. Yeah, that's alot different arrangement than my Tikka's. I know what you mean about Berreta's prices. Cost me 65.00 a piece for spare Tikka mags. What a ripoff !

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Interesting concept. I have loaded some pretty hot loads at times but not yet in my 50 years of shooting ever had a burst or punctured primer. Am I just really lucky or is the danger theoretical rather than real? I shot between 5 and 10 thousand rounds in various handguns and rifles for fifteen years without such an occurance. What are your experiences like?

By the way my stainless synthetic Tikka will set off metal detectors, but it also will shoot 3/4" any day any conditions at 100 unless there is a cross wind which I am still not really good at estimating. Those days 1.5- 2 is the norm. There must be something wrong with my computer because that is the best I can do.

smile

Randy

Praise the Lord for full Salvation
Christ Still lives upon the throne
And I know the blood still cleansess
Deeper than the sin has gone
Lester Roloff
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Randy, I wasn't worried about a pierced primer/hot load.
My theory was that maybe the shroud would get stressed while the bolt rotated inside. It's under a little pressure when the spring is cocked and if it ever did break chit would fly back into your face.
Might sting just enough to really piss a guy off....grin

Probably just a Looney idea but now I know it's not ever gonna break and that makes me happy.

Should add I'm not knocking T3's, as I've never owned one. Three of my friends own them and they have all had good luck.

Last edited by SamOlson; 05/23/11.
V
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
V
Here is the plastic shroud from the T3 after the .308 through a .270 trick. As you can see there might have been just a tiny amount of gas released. I had thought about getting the aluminum shroud before but after looking at the response to the gas and the way it was designed I was not concerned about it being plastic.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

Hunt hard, kill clean, waste nothing and offer no apologies.

"In rifle work, group size is of some interest...but it is well to remember that a rifleman does not shoot groups, he shoots shots." Jeff Cooper

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Huh?? He's baggin' grocieries in Rock Ridge??

Merde!!! I missed that thread!

Rock Ridge where, as in what state????

Last edited by DELGUE; 05/25/11.

Exquisitely turdlike in all of his many manifestations!!

Resist much - obey little. Hayduke lives!

"30-06 guys don't worry about schit 'cause 30-06 guys don't worry....." 16bore

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
you will have as much exposure to gas escaping as you would with a......700.

There is no exposure with the Model 700.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
As for replacing the plastic bolt shroud, it might never break, or it might break tomorrow. I'm just gonna throw an aluminum one on there because I tend to obey the Law of the 7 P's. An ounce of prevention and all that...

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Swampy, you anger me to the point where I want to run you over with your golf cart..

B8

MK
D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I'm thinkin' Swampy's an expert on gas escapin'... grin

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by Swampman700
Originally Posted by Oldelkhunter
you will have as much exposure to gas escaping as you would with a......700.

There is no exposure with the Model 700.

Laffin my nutz off. How would you know you ? All you shoot is watered down factory ammo.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Yeah, but he shoots it all into a 1/2" or less..remember? wink

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
O
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
O
Originally Posted by DELGUE
Yeah, but he shoots it all into a 1/2" or less..remember? wink

Idealogues like Swampy come around every few years or so.

I
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I
I bought my kid a Tikka t3. It shoots ok so far and is not at all broke in yet. I think the Tikka is a little high mostly cause our dollar is not what it used to be, no cause it's over priced junk. There is a trend in this world, and it's plastic all the way. I have seen plastic these days so hard you can hardly break it. You won't break steel but will bend it. Example, look at carbon arrows. I have shot them square into a block wall and bounced back almost as fast. The arrow was still good. Lets see aluminum arrows do that. Another example. My Savage 12 fv stock is a little bent. I stood on it and jumped up and down on it. Never got it to bend. Chuck Hawk wants to rip on Tikka, let him take his 1100 dollar Kimber through what we take our guns through. It wont be worth half in 5 years. If his trophies are his beautiful walnut stock custom made safe queens good for him. It's cheaper than hunting trips anyway. Most likely more accurate than his Kimber too. Lots of reviews of Kimber not being much to brag about neither, look'em up! Ok Chuck, what is a "good rifle" then Dumb AASS? He didn't say much about good rifles did he? Plastic is all over the place and it's darn tough. Bottom line Chucky, ya want a pretty gun, buy one. Ya want a gun that ya can drop into the river getting out of the canoe and have it keep the zero buy a "plastic gun"! They are here to stay.

But the fruits of the spirit is love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness,faithfulness, Gentleness and self control. Against such things there is no law. Galations 5: 22&23
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Just put an aluminum shroud on my Tikka 595. All good now.

[Linked Image]

And here is the first 6 shots I fired out of this rifle, after sighting...

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Where do you get that aluminum shroud? I've got a 695 that I'd like to put it on. Thanks.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Page 6 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

157 members (1OntarioJim, achadwick, AceBall, 257_X_50, 21, 35, 15 invisible), 1,029 guests, and 946 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,978
Posts18,519,927
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.