Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by North61
pure lead

Melting point, 600.61 K, 327.46 �C, 621.43 �F .....

Alloys would melt at a higher temperature,

Depends on the alloys and the amounts.

Lead - Pb
Tin - Sn
Antimony - Sb

All Pb/Sn compositions have melting temperatures less then pure lead.

All Pb/Sb with Sb<~20% have melting temps less than pure Pb.

All Pb/Sn/Sb with Sb<~20% have melting temps less than pure Pb.

The more Sn, the more Sb you can add to keep it under the melting temp of pure Pb.

53% Pb, 20% Sn, 27% Sb melts about the same as pure Pb.

It's not that Liberals are unwilling to listen to another point of view, they are just simply amazed that another one exists.
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by doubletap
12/10x60x3100=223,200rpm

While that's correct, it's also irrelevant as a bullet doesn't travel for an entire minute.

A 12 twist barrel rotates a bullet one time every foot of forward travel it goes, regardless of the forward velocity. This probably diminishes as it slows down, but not a whole lot.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
I had a 357 Harret and 110 gr hollow point pistol bullets would come apart and leave scrapnel holes in the target at 25 yds. what caused that?? grin

M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
A 12 twist barrel rotates a bullet one time every foot of forward travel it goes, regardless of the forward velocity. This probably diminishes as it slows down, but not a whole lot.

The linear velocity of the bullet decays faster than the angular velocity. So as it gets farther downrange the spin will increase per linear foot traveled, rather than diminish.

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Originally Posted by mtnfisher
Originally Posted by North61
pure lead

Melting point, 600.61 K, 327.46 �C, 621.43 �F .....

Alloys would melt at a higher temperature,

Depends on the alloys and the amounts.

Lead - Pb
Tin - Sn
Antimony - Sb

All Pb/Sn compositions have melting temperatures less then pure lead.

All Pb/Sb with Sb<~20% have melting temps less than pure Pb.

All Pb/Sn/Sb with Sb<~20% have melting temps less than pure Pb.

The more Sn, the more Sb you can add to keep it under the melting temp of pure Pb.

53% Pb, 20% Sn, 27% Sb melts about the same as pure Pb.

I stand corrected...Thank-you

IC B2

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
To convert muzzle velocity in fps into miles oer hour take muzzle velocity x60 x60 and divide by 5280. For example 850 [fps]x60=51000.51000x60=3060000. divide this by 5280=579.54 mph.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by DayPacker
A bullet burns when it penetrates your body. So it is hot. How much I don't know.

Just now reading this thread but I know first hand that this accessment is right on the money...A good friend of mine who was a "Spooky" crew member on our sister ship took an almost spent round in the right butt cheek as it passed through the thin skin of the aircraft.It was an AK round and he said it not only hurt but felt like he had been stuck with a hot poker..he survived of course but there's no doubt in my mind that it puts fire in the hole!! wink

You better be afraid of a ghost!!

"Woody you were baptized in prop wash"..crossfireoops

Woody
R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Why don't we see burning targets or burnt hair on the game we shoot? I read that the advantage of the plastic tips was that they didn't burn off in flight as do lead tips. Think I will call that BS. Easy test- light a candle and hold a ballistic tip in the flame, gone in seconds. Now try it with a lead tipped bullet. You will drop the bullet before the lead melts.Rick.

M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
because the 500 degrees is only touching the hair or targets for a thousandth of a second.

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by Gene L
12/10x60x3100=223,200rpm

While that's correct, it's also irrelevant as a bullet doesn't travel for an entire minute.

Doesn't need to travel for a whole minute to report its speed as rpm, just as I can drive 60mph without driving for a whole hour. In fact a police officer could give you a ticket for driving 60mph for just a few seconds.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
IC B3

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
Originally Posted by FlyboyFlem
A bullet burns when it penetrates your body. So it is hot. How much I don't know.

Just now reading this thread but I know first hand that this accessment is right on the money...A good friend of mine who was a "Spooky" crew member on our sister ship took an almost spent round in the right butt cheek as it passed through the thin skin of the aircraft.It was an AK round and he said it not only hurt but felt like he had been stuck with a hot poker..he survived of course but there's no doubt in my mind that it puts fire in the hole!! wink

My father took machine gun rounds through the stomach, bicep, and hand. He said there was no burning sensation at all.

He who joyfully marches in rank and file has already earned my contempt. He has been given a large brain by mistake, since for him the spinal cord would suffice.

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

My father took machine gun rounds through the stomach, bicep, and hand. He said there was no burning sensation at all.

Good possibility if they were through and through...my friends round stayed put in his azz and didn't go any farther,about 3" of penetration and I don't doubt his word!!!

Woody
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
If it's really hot, looks like it would start fires in grass, which it won't.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D

Good possibility if they were through and through...my friends round stayed put in his azz and didn't go any farther,about 3" of penetration and I don't doubt his word!!!

I suppose the perception of how a bullet in the azz feels could vary. smile

- Albert Einstein
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Can't figure why some of you guys are having a hard time believing this..of course they won't start fires...example: take a butter knife put it on the burner of a stove for several seconds then touch your arm and hold it there..a blister for sure.Then do the same even for a bit longer and quickly set it in "dry grass" Fire?? doubt it!! I think the problem here is the interpretation of the amount of heat generated vs time of flight.

Woody
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
Last year my guide told me that a .308 cal bullet leaves holes in game that are smaller than a 7mm. He explained that due to friction, the bullets diminish in diameter before they get to the target.

I guess you don't need to be a rocket scientist to be a licensed guide. grin

(No offense meant to anyone here)

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
shhh don't let the military that they don't need incindarys, just plain old bullets will get er done. "Throw some more hot lead at them there critters, Yosemite"

What pain you feel from a puncture wound depends on which pain receptors are damaged. Some people report knife wounds to be hot.

Your 357 pistol bullet broke up because most pistol bullets have very thin jackets, most rifling in pistols is very shallow, its easy for the deeper rifling to engrave the jacket and break it.

It you are shooting 300 yds, and the or 900 ft. and your twist rate is 1 in 12 the bullet will only rotate 900 times, the calculated rpm figure has no relevance.

If you have ever cast a lot of bullets you will know that sometimes fissure lines are produced length wise if the allow isn't ready, when shot the bullets appears to explode, drawn wire used in cup and extruded bullets can do the same thing giving the appearance of "vaporizing". The bullet is somewhat protected by the shock wave front, which is why rain drops don't affect the flight. (or by using the other reasoning bullets would be colder when shot in the raing or snow).

If anything a bullet can get shorter, especially when fired as the moment of inertia of the back part is over come before the front part, and a density packing occurs.

Most people don't have what it takes to get old
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
That's what I was going to say...and it also makes a difference if you take the bullet's temperature orally or anally.

Yeah.

I saw a movie where only the military and the police had guns. It was called Schindler's List.
M
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
M
It you are shooting 300 yds, and the or 900 ft. and your twist rate is 1 in 12 the bullet will only rotate 900 times, the calculated rpm figure has no relevance.

Not that it's important, but it will rotate more than 900 times. The linear velocity decays faster than the angular velocity.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have picked up intact SP bullets on a number of occasions after firing them across smooth, flat snow covered sea ice. The bullets do not melt into the ice but lay just under the surface of the snow generally. And they get a light coat of crusted snow due to being slightly warmer than freezing but quickly cooling upon stopping. I don't buy the melted core idea (though there is enough heat right around the jacket when the lands press into the jacket to momentarily melt streaks of lead under the jacket.)

Sometimes, the air you 'let in'matters less than the air you 'let out'.
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

593 members (10ring1, 160user, 12344mag, 06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 10gaugeman, 73 invisible), 2,673 guests, and 1,164 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,530
Posts18,530,914
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.