Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G

�The only thing �green� about ethanol is the color of the cash subsidies handed to it by Congress� Increased blends of ethanol in gasoline could increase emissions of toxic air pollutants, in particular nitrogen dioxide, when burned in engines not built to withstand more ethanol. This danger applies to the vast majority of engines currently in service, from cars to boats to lawnmowers.

Ethanol results in more greenhouse gas emissions than gasoline, according to the EPA�s own scientific analysis, which was included in the Renewable Fuels Standard (RFS2) Regulatory Impact Analysis released in February 2010�The production of ethanol also has detrimental effects on human and environmental health.

The production of biofuels feed stocks, like corn for ethanol, takes land away from food production and encroaches on natural ecosystems. Large-scale agricultural production of corn for ethanol often involves massive inputs of fertilizer, requires large quantities of water, contributes to soil erosion, and produces deadly run-off of pollution into freshwater sources � as illustrated by the Gulf of Mexico�s �Dead Zone.��LATimes

Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
Us old country boys have known for a long time that alcohol made from corn was best used for drinking. grin

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

When you burn your food, its only a matter of time until you have regrets.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by amr7333

You got it..

T-Paw's no conservative.. He's a moderate and I doubt he'll last long in the pack..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Yes and when you burn 40% (corn) of your food, you are NUTS! Twenty Five years of subsidies including a 45 cent per gallon "fuelers blend". Corn closed @ $7.53 yesterday on the CME. I wonder what the "break even" number is.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
IC B2

L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
Reminds me of tax breaks for big oil. Those should end. I bet he didn't mention that.

A
acy Online Content
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
A
A "tax break" for big oil implies that the government was somehow entitled to the money. If you start with the concept that the government is not automatically entitled to all wealth, then there is no such thing as a "tax break", as under those circumstances the government is simply stealing less.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Redneck
Originally Posted by amr7333

You got it..

T-Paw's no conservative.. He's a moderate and I doubt he'll last long in the pack..
'Neck- couldn't agree more. He's got little chance of carrying any state besides Minnesota, and he will even have a tough time doing that.

molɔ̀ːn labé skýla
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I like the truth campaign idea.

Something clever here.

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by luke
Reminds me of tax breaks for big oil. Those should end. I bet he didn't mention that.

Are you really that dense? Do you really not understand the difference between a tax deduction and a subsidy?

"I'm gonna have to science the schit out of this." Mark Watney, Sol 59, Mars
IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Most Greenies are Doc...

Please don't feed the trolls!
N
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
N
My take on the "green" accusations is that he's always been interested in the job potentials that some renewable fuel processes would require. He has used some of the greeny catch phrases (which is regrettable) but his interests were in the jobs and potential revenue associated with renewable fuel business plans.

He obviously sees now that the ethanol thing was a mistake.

Something clever here.

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by acy
A "tax break" for big oil implies that the government was somehow entitled to the money. If you start with the concept that the government is not automatically entitled to all wealth, then there is no such thing as a "tax break", as under those circumstances the government is simply stealing less.

How about ending FEMA and rebuilding subsidies following a tornado, hurricane or flood? It seems to me that folks in New Orleans (LA), Joplin (MO and Tuscaloosa (AL) should buy insurance that covers rebuilding costs and not stick it to the taxpayer. They should also borrow from a bank to cover any non insured costs.

I have a friend who owns a rental home on the Outer Banks of North Carolina and he pays very little for Federal flood insurance. Why should we (as taxpayers) subsidize him or the folks in Joplin?

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by DocRocket

Are you really that dense? Do you really not understand the difference between a tax deduction and a subsidy?

A tax deduction IS a subsidy. Governemnts use tax deductions to subsidize oil companies, mortgage markets, coal mines, etc.

B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by northern_dave
He obviously sees now that the ethanol thing was a mistake.

You mean when he sees how big a mistake it is when he has to suck up to the Tea Party on the National stage instead of the local Southern Minnesota voters as a guber candidate....

He will say whatever gets him the most primary votes. Nothing more, nothing less.

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've met Tim a couple times and I like him personally. I just have to remind myself that he's a politician, and when a politician's lips are moving he's lying to you.

Tim is not a real conservative, he's whatever it takes to get elected.

Now Michele Bachmann is the real deal.

"I call that bold talk for a one-eyed fat man." --Robert Duvall.
"Fill your hand, you son-of-a-bitch!" --John Wayne.
~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
G
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
G
Did the wrong cut & paste.. here's the correct 1

Pawlenty called for �big time� cuts in federal spending, including an end to federal subsidies for corn-based ethanol fuel.

�The hard truth is there are no longer any sacred programs,� Pawlenty said. �The truth about federal energy subsidies � including federal subsidies for ethanol � is that they need to be phased out. We need to do it gradually. We need to do it fairly, but we need to do it.�

Pawlenty, as governor of Minnesota, reduced state subsidies for ethanol. According to Pawlenty, it�s time to do the same on the national level �on a much, much larger scale.�

�It can�t be done overnight. The industry has made large investments and it wouldn�t be fair to pull the rug out from under them immediately, but we must face the truth that if we want to invite more competition, more investment and more innovation in the industry, need to get the government out,� Pawlenty said, to applause.

Iowa produces nearly a third of the ethanol in the U.S. converting over a billion bushels of corn into more than 3.6 billion gallons of ethanol each year. Pawlenty presented his proposal to end ethanol subsidies as an example of his commitment to avoid making �fluffy promises of hope and change� and his pledge to outline a �new approach� to governing.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by BrentD
You mean when he sees how big a mistake it is when he has to suck up to the Tea Party on the National stage instead of the local Southern Minnesota voters as a guber candidate....

He will say whatever gets him the most primary votes. Nothing more, nothing less.

Apparently you guys don't have a flippin' clue that the main drivers behind ending the VEETC, the so-called 'ethanol subsidy', is the ethanol industry.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by djs
Originally Posted by DocRocket

A tax deduction IS a subsidy. Governemnts use tax deductions to subsidize oil companies, mortgage markets, coal mines, etc.

and individual tax payers.....you saying you claim no deductions when filing your taxes?

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
B
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
B
Originally Posted by JOG
Apparently you guys don't have a flippin' clue that the main drivers behind ending the VEETC, the so-called 'ethanol subsidy', is the ethanol industry.

Yeah. And your point?

Save an elk, shoot a cow.
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

517 members (12344mag, 160user, 1lessdog, 10Glocks, 17CalFan, 50 invisible), 1,963 guests, and 1,218 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,755
Posts18,495,459
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.