Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4
C
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
C
How much insulation does the Crispi have?

GB1

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by CREDITMAN
How much insulation does the Crispi have?

I emailed Crispi that very question... here's the response I got:

"Hunter htg ABSS has been tested for -32� C IN MOVEMENT (not in still standing position).

Insulation is given by Goretex Duratherm Ultimate 3mm (is Goretex Membrane coupled with insulating material)."

Would add, I emailed them several questions and got super-prompt responses. Impressive.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have the same fit problem. It seems to get worse as I get older. My heels seem to be bonier and more sensitive to slip. Little heels rattling around in too big a heel cup or a fat wide forefoot jammed in too tight.

E
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
E
Originally Posted by SeanD
I wonder who made the cabelas mountain hunters, I think they are italian? I like mine. Wonder if it is this company? The build does not look that far off.

I also have a narrow heel, when they measure me i'm told its actually a B width.

From what I understand italian boots are often built on narrow lasts? Scarpas fit me well. These boots look great. Meindels did not fit. Fit is everything. Good luck.

I'm pretty sure they were made by a company called AKU or AKU-USA. Same ones I've been told who make the LL Bean Cresta (and the Cabela's look-a-like). I'd like a pair myself, but can't find anything close. Their Euro website looks like they've totally moved away from leather/classic designs.
http://www.sierratradingpost.com/p/347,1449W_AKU-USA-Utah-Plus-Gore-Tex-Backpacking-Boots-Waterproof-For-Men.html
http://www.shoebuy.com/aku-utah-plus-gtx/118974

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
I remember reading about the AKU connection, but when I asked Cabela's about AKU they wouldn't say.

“Perfection is Achieved Not When There Is Nothing More to Add, But When There Is Nothing Left to Take Away” Antoine de Saint-Exupery
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those Utah Plus AKUs are pretty nice boots. I bought a pair for my dad prior to hunting the goat hunt he drew. Very impressed with the fit and finish of those boots every bit the boot of my Lowa Sheep hunters IMO and my dad liked to fit of them while training in them all summer and using them on the goat hunt.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Brad:

Does Crispi have a US retail operation or do you deal with Italy? Also, how did you determine your appropriate size? Did you do foot impressions like Lathrop's does? As a person with 11B feet, finding good boots that fit has always been tough. The Hanwags work well and I've had decent luck with some of the Danners in narrow widths.

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Logger, they have a Bend, Oregon address. As to size, I wear a 9.5D in boots so that's what I ordered.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
Brad:

Thanks. I get to Bend several times a year so I can stop and take a look. It always good to have boot options

Logger

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Originally Posted by ribka
Asolo sassalong on sale Sierratrading Post.

I buy the wide fit

Have same type of foot. These boots work for my foot.

Hard to go wrong with these for
$123.

IC B3

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by logger
Brad:

Thanks. I get to Bend several times a year so I can stop and take a look. It always good to have boot options

Logger

Logger, here's their contact info:

Miles K Munger
Crispi USA

Mailing:
PO Box 1170
Bend, OR 97709-1170

Office Phone 541-389-9032
Fax 541-389-1096
Cell Phone 925-683-1128

Brad Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by alaska_lanche
Those Utah Plus AKUs are pretty nice boots. I bought a pair for my dad prior to hunting the goat hunt he drew. Very impressed with the fit and finish of those boots every bit the boot of my Lowa Sheep hunters IMO and my dad liked to fit of them while training in them all summer and using them on the goat hunt.

Finding AKU's anywhere in the USA is impossible. I emailed them several times and got no response regarding their Grizzly and Jaeger models and purchase options in the USA.

They look well-made but they're just not readily available outside Europe.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
yeah they used to carry them on STP but don't anymore....not sure why.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
If you remember let us know how the Crispi works out for you.

I have a pair of Meindl Perfekts too. Insulated I think 400 gr

Ok boot and picked up on clearance for $130 from Cabelas. Leather seems a bit soft now after a year of hiking.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brad, turns out you and I have the same boot size and problem... I'd be real interested in your results with the Crispi's.

Also, one thing that helped me a lot was Superfeet insoles.

And.... If you need a boot that isn't insulated and will fit correctly, try on a pair of Wesco's logger boots. Or have White's of Nicks custom fit you a pair (cheaper than you'd think) I wear boots like that daily at work and into late September. They aren't waterproof for [bleep], but the massive Vibram soles work great for stomping on hippies and kittens.

I'm Irish...

Of course I know how to patch drywall
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by Cruiser1
Originally Posted by ribka
Asolo sassalong on sale Sierratrading Post.

I buy the wide fit

Have same type of foot. These boots work for my foot.

Hard to go wrong with these for
$123.

Incredible deal on a Euro uninsulated boot for early to mid seasons, I picked up a second pair in wide for less than $125 shipped (even less than 3yrs ago):
[Linked Image]

Asolo Sasslong Thread

Asolo Sasslong Website

MtnHtr

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Good purchase MTNHTR. I may have to pick up a pair to back up my TPS 520's, my favorite boots.

Last edited by Cruiser1; 05/30/11.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Brad, if and when you find some boots that fit well: buy at least two pair of them, maybe more!

The axiom is: if it fits and you like it, they will change it.

Years ago before Merrill went yuppie, (and greater profitability) they made a boot that I loved. I did one hike in my first pair and went back and bought a second pair. Long before I wore out both pairs, they had dropped that line of boots, natch.

I should have bought another pair or two of One Sport Moraines as soon I as I realized how well they fit my feet and usage, while they still made them.

FWIW I bought a pair of Asolo Sassalong GVs last month to replace a pair of Scarpas that have never fit me ideally and gradually got worse the past two seasons as I aged and my feet change (I think that is what's going on). Got these Asolos at Second Ascent in Seattle, cheap enough to use them as town boots if they don't work out for bush hikes. On a two day ramble to hunt bear and fish backcountry steelhead, so far they have exceeded my expectations for fit, comfort and stable platfom in rough terrain.

My long time hunting partner had narrow heels and wide front and his only solution eventually was to go to Danner in person and have them make him a custom last and boots fitted to his feet. Before the custom boots, I remember timberline bivvies with him when his feet were bloody.

Last edited by Okanagan; 05/30/11.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I also have narrow heals, my favorite boots are my danner 400 gram frontiers, second are my uninsulated new style pronghorns. the difference between 400 gram and uninsulated to me is about like going from a medium sock to a heavy sock, thats it.

I know you said you want full leather, but hey the pronghorns are cheap enough you just buy more. I also like my meindl grand junction lightweight hiking tennny runner style shoes. however meindls other boots are way too big in the heel for me.

H
Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
H
So what is the verdict? I just grabbed a pair of Crispi Summit GTX for $129.00. They have the cordura and sued, but for the price could not resist.

Good Shooting!
Page 2 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

497 members (222Sako, 29aholic, 12344mag, 1badf350, 10ring1, 3040Krag, 41 invisible), 1,718 guests, and 1,194 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,010
Posts18,520,630
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.