Campfire Tracker
P

Guns don't kill people, it's mostly the bullets
GB1

L
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
L
Hard to argue with dead. In his hands it looks like it works, in another persons hands it may not be an elk cartridge.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Old news bubba. One thing about it is Wayne VanZwoll is more than just a good writer grin. Put just about any slug in the vitals and you have one dead critter laying on the ground.

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
It certainly wouldn't be my first choice.

Have to say in 28 years of elk hunting the only elk I've seen go that far with a broadsie hit was with a .243 Win at close range.

Kudos to Wayne for getting the job done, not so much for what I consider a stunt.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

A good .30-06 is a 99% solution.
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
It is a misleading question in my book. It's really a matter of if the hunter is up to making a 600 yd. shot under the conditions present.
Saw a nice 6 pt bull last year. The hunter hit it too far back right at the end of legal light. By the time he found it the next day, it's meat was unedible.
The rifle used was a .300 Magnum. E

IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Coyote_Hunter

Kudos to Wayne for getting the job done, not so much for what I consider a stunt.

For you it would be a stunt. A man has to know his limitations.

For Wayne, not so much a stunt.

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Hard To Fault a Man That Can Shoot...Be it a 22LR Or 700 Nitro.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by JohnBurns

"not so much a stunt" or "not a stunt"?

Was it possible to get closer or was the shot taken for the story?

I'm guessing "Yes" on both counts, hope I'm wrong.

Coyote Hunter - NRA Patriot Life, NRA Whittington Center Life, GOA, DAD - and I VOTE!

No, I'm not a Ruger bigot - just an unabashed fan of their revolvers, M77's and #1's.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

"not so much a stunt" or "not a stunt"?

Was it possible to get closer or was the shot taken for the story?

I'm guessing "Yes" on both counts, hope I'm wrong.

You know if John Burns has anything to do with it, its going to be long range. Wayne probably would have been more than happy to sneak up a little closer even though he is a damn good marksman grin

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I personally believe that caliber is to light for bull elk! If that was the only caliber in a rifle I had, yes I would use it but also use good common sence as to NOT try and shoot an elk at anything over 300 yards with that caliber rifle.

Also let me say this once again, shooting a bull elk at 600 yardss is not piece of cake elk hunters. Only those who practice at that type of yardage should even attempt that kind of a shot. To me a .300 RUM is more in tune for that type of yardage using a 190 or 200 grain bullet. I sure would not attempt that shot with my .338-win mag....not me folks.

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

IC B3

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
The universal answer = "It depends on the shooter and the situation.".

JEff

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P
I think Jeff hit the nail on the head. I have never shot an Elk so that was one of the reasons I asked here. I have had people tell me that a .25-06 is too small at any range (and again this is from someone who has never shot one) to which I say is BS. I always thought a .25-06, .260 and 7mm-08 would be fine to 400 yards and since the 6.5 is a little smaller I was wondering if he was stretching it too far. I am sure someone out there regularly whacks them with a .22-250 AI at 500 plus yards.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter

Clay pigeons at 600 yards are a favorite target of mine. Managed to hit two just before last elk season, one each with my .300 Win Mag and one of my .30-06's, five shots total.

I don't think hitting an elk at 600 is much of a problem.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by pacecars
I think Jeff hit the nail on the head. I have never shot an Elk so that was one of the reasons I asked here. I have had people tell me that a .25-06 is too small at any range (and again this is from someone who has never shot one) to which I say is BS. I always thought a .25-06, .260 and 7mm-08 would be fine to 400 yards and since the 6.5 is a little smaller I was wondering if he was stretching it too far. I am sure someone out there regularly whacks them with a .22-250 AI at 500 plus yards.

I am a little confused because the results are right there on the video.

Shoot a bull elk in the vitals at 600yds with a good bullet in the 6.5 CM and he will fall over dead.

Are we worried that Hornady made up some �Extra Power� ammo for Wayne?? cool

John Burns

I have all the sources.
They can't stop the signal.

L
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
L
I know some of you guys shoot 600 yards with ease at the range and semi controlled atmospheres..I have seen people do it right here in Idaho but I have also seen them encounter the unseen winds that can and do happen in the deep canyons of idaho.

Anyone who has fought forest fires or fell timber for a period of time will tell you,atleast here,it comes and goes without warning and un noticed until it is upon you.600 yards accross a canyon from the hunter,it can be snowing/raining or semi windy with much different weather than where your at.

Awe heck..Shoot away but don't tell me every 600 yard shot is spot on in true very steep,hunting country.It's fooled more than one fool. grin

Jayco

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
...and it got an exit hole...a nice one at that...at 600 yards. Wayne burns more powder in a year than 99% of the guys on here. He can and will make the shot. It isn't a stunt.

John, he should have used more gun. The evidence is clear....too small of bullet, not enough penetration and a dead elk. Yup, should have used something "up to the task" laugh laugh Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
"Nope" not only nope but hell nope !

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Why tone down the 6.5 (264WM) to the Creedmoor when the 264WM will do all that the Creedmoor can and a lot more with a better trajectory and more energy. 800yrd elk gun? Maybe Wayne could test that on camara. Recoil is mild also.

P
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
P

Shoot a bull elk in the vitals at 600yds with a good bullet in the 6.5 CM and he will fall over dead.

Are we worried that Hornady made up some “Extra Power” ammo for Wayne?? cool
[/quote]

No confusion at all. Its kind of like the old "If so-and-so jumped off a bridge would you? argument.

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Are we worried that Hornady made up some �Extra Power� ammo for Wayne??

This video only shows that a very skilled shooter can under the right conditions make a perfect shot and kill an animal at long range. I am really suprised at Wayne doing this, in my coversations with him, he most always promotes getting in as close as possible for his shots. As he also does in his presentations.
Can any hunter do this , nope, will any hunter wait for the broad side shot, nope. What this proves is that it can be done. Can it be done by most, cleanly and ethically, probably not. How many wounded and unrecovered animals will result in a poorly prepared shooter attempting this shot because he saw somone do it on TV. Too many !

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

167 members (308xray, 1_deuce, 673, 2500HD, 01Foreman400, 444afic, 17 invisible), 1,396 guests, and 977 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,090
Posts18,522,085
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.