This afternoon I was able to scoot outta work early and meet up with my dad for about an hour of range time before our evening commitments. We ran through a bunch of handgun drills and then realized we only had time for a few rounds at the 100 yard bench. So we quickly set up and threw some patches over the bullet holes on the cardboard silhouette targets and commenced to shoot. A week ago I had bore sighted and run 6 shots of factory 150's through my new SC M70 SS. Fwt. 308 win. Shots 4,5,6 were a 1.6" group about 5" high.
Below are shots 7,8,9 using 165 BT over 44gr Varget @ 2.82". After the first shot I ran to check the target b/c we had not brought the spotting scope and I figured I missed the entire board due to the load change. I Found the hole in the tape and returned to be pleasantly surprised by the final group.
Have not had a chance to get the calipers out yet to measure, but from a quick look with my carpenter's square in my truck, looks to be about 0.5 - 0.6" . Chrono read an avg of 2598 fps, hoping to keep this accuracy and move up to 2700 - 2725 or so. But I am now quite optimistic about further load development in this rifle. All this on top of being thoroughly impressed with Winchester's new product. I had handled and shot family members Pre 64's and owned a 270 XTR and CT 7mmRM blue/synth push feed and felt OK about the former but underwhelmed by the latter.
Just figured I'd share some fun news from a brief range session with a new rifle
This rig might just get the nod for WY 'lopes this fall if it keeps behaving like this!