Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
my father, and lifelong hunter (and on every continent), has fallen ill and I am unfortunately forced to sell some of the firearms. I dont want to make a tragic mistake (for both sentimental and financial reasons), in deciding which guns to sell and at what price..2 rifles i am scared to sell are:
1) my grandfather's Colt Sauer 7mm REM MAG CR3666. It has a Zeis Scope(Diavari-C 9x36) mounted for a right handed shooter, but with a blind right eye (scope is mounted offset to left)
2) my dad's 7x57 Mauser- i know its old as my grandpa, dad, and i (and possibly my great grandfather), all shot their first game with it. #116197 and it is unique in that it's Zeiss Scope (Zielvier #67221), can be snapped on and off in seconds but ithout losing any accuracy or needing to be re-adjusted. it has wood all the ay up to the barrel and as my dad's prized possession.
I would appreciate any of your input on my situation and if possible an estimate of what each may be worth.

Sincere thanks,
August

Last edited by August327; 06/04/11.

Your first Amendment won't protect itself.
-me

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I would check out gunbroker and see what guns like your fathers are selling for.

www.gunbroker.com

And check out this site to see if they have the guns on there.

http://www.usedprice.com/items/guns-and-scopes/

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
thank you. I have looked and am finding a range from several hundred dollars to tens of thousands...what markings or other identifiable characteristics should i look for to help narrow don this range?

thank you again,
August

-me
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Sorry to hear of the predicament you're caught in. A couple of thoughts... bills come and go but once an heirloom is gone, it's gone. Don't sell the Mauser, you'll never quit regretting it.

The Colt Sauer would likely bring better total $ if you sell the scope separately from the gun, there's just not a lot of right handed, right eye blind shooters looking to purchase a rifle.

Before selling the gun to a "stranger", are their any other relatives of your grandfather who may be interested in buying the gun? They may be willing to pay more than "blue book" value just because of the sentimental value.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My first advice would be to convert the last digit in those serial numbers to an "X".

example: 11619X

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
GunsAmerica is also a good "frame of reference" pricing site. Good luck.

A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
Thank you all, and especially NWRancher; I will likely sell a kidney before the Mauser and thank you for reminding me of why. If nothing else, taking stock of what is there and what options are available in a worst case scenario makes me feel a little more in control.

-me
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
thank you.

-me
A
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
A
is it a bad idea to make that public?

-me
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by August327
is it a bad idea to make that public?

I have never thought so.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
IC B3

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
The Colt Sauer w/ the Zeiss could get between $1500 and 2k. I'd scrub toilets for money before I parted with the Mauser.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
There is no need to make the full numeric public, a couple of x's in place of the last 2 digits will still let people date it. Unscrupolus folks could use it to make a false stolen gun report with the whole SN and when one shows up they could claim it and cause all manor of grief for those involved.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
34 posts in the first day. I'm surprised to see nothing over in 'free classifieds'.

Sam......

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Mannlicher
34 posts in the first day. I'm surprised to see nothing over in 'free classifieds'.

He's from Chicago.

Never holler whoa or look back in a tight place
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by NWRancher
Sorry to hear of the predicament you're caught in. A couple of thoughts... bills come and go but once an heirloom is gone, it's gone. Don't sell the Mauser, you'll never quit regretting it.

The Colt Sauer would likely bring better total $ if you sell the scope separately from the gun, there's just not a lot of right handed, right eye blind shooters looking to purchase a rifle.

Before selling the gun to a "stranger", are their any other relatives of your grandfather who may be interested in buying the gun? They may be willing to pay more than "blue book" value just because of the sentimental value.

Agreed,
Heirlooms are priceless, to you.
But are always sold for WAY less

Like my Great Grand-father's 1830's musket.
It is just another musket to a buyer. Worth? $50 ?
But to my son, it is an heirloom that as been in the family for 7 or 8? generations

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

127 members (7887mm08, 6mmCreedmoor, 10gaugemag, 44mc, 35, 69sportfury, 13 invisible), 1,547 guests, and 914 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,119
Posts18,483,520
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.