Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
Hotload Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
In the next week or two, I plan to get a new cordless drill.
Was going to get a half inch, 18 volt NiCd battery model.
Co-worker said I should get a drill with the new lithium ion
battery pack. Someone else talked about a third battery type,
I forget the name of it. confused

Anyone have any suggestions/comments on the new crop of cordless drills.

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
GB1

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I'm a huge fan to the Milwaukee tools.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I am NOT a carpenter/builder and do not use one every day, but do a lot of stuff and have had several over the years. Never have worn out the drill motor/apparatus. Always the batteries go kaput first and most are too expensive to replace efficiently. So, I buy a new drill and batts cheaper than replacement. Hate it !!

Regardless of price, there has not been any big diff in the performance of the various drills themselves - except for some good features on some - but there has been a diff in the quality of batts.

A friend who uses every day told me to most def go to the L-ion next time for several batt reasons. He got a deal on a Makita setup like that and loves it. I have not owned a Makita.

I don't yet know of a new/third batt type. Somebody here will.

NRA Member - Life, Benefactor, Patron
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
Originally Posted by CCCC
Always the batteries go kaput first and most are too expensive to replace efficiently. So, I buy a new drill and batts cheaper than replacement.

That is why I always buy a $30-50 drill. You can get an 18v for that price, and by the time the battery dies, you just get a new setup. I have used $150 drills, and they perform exactly like the $50 drills. I think expensive cordless tools are one of the biggest scams out there...

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by JGRaider
I'm a huge fan to the Milwaukee tools.
+1 go red tools...

IC B2

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Bosch

When a column of troops under Lt. Col. Francis Smith moved into the countryside to collect arms and munitions gathered by the patriot militia, hostilities erupted at Lexington and Concord on Apr. 19, 1775.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
+1 The cheaper ones are the best value to me. The damn batteries are more than the drill.

The foundation for old age is good memories.
N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Another Milwaukee fan here......

I love cordless tools but, having said that, it's not a bad idea to have at least one corded drill. I bought a 1/2" Milwaukee corded drill because I don't use it very often and don't have to mess with charging the batteries before I finally get to use it. Plus, it can run all day without skipping a beat.

Biden's most truthful quote ever came during his first press conference, 03/25/21.
Drum roll please...... "I don't know, to be clear." and THAT is one promise he's kept!!!
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
We had a similar discussion here a couple weeks ago. I have a Ridgid from Home Depot. LIFETIME WARRANTY ON THE BATTERIES. I don't think the Lithium batts will hold a charge quite as long as the NiCad, but they charge really fast in comparison so it doesn't make any difference that way.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
A lot of drills use Ni-Cd (nickle-cadmium) batteries. They've been around for a long time. Their biggest drawback is the memory effect. Be sure to run the battery all the way down before recharging.

NiMH (Nickle-metal hydride) are used in some drills but not very many that I've seen. AA-sized NiMH batteries for electronics are great rechargeables. They don't have memory effects of charging.

Li (lithium) ion batteries have a pretty long life and don't have memory problems. It's what your cell phone has. They cost more though. But, the price of Li ion batteries keeps dropping.

Li ion is, IMO, the way to go if you are using the drill everyday - you will have less downtime. For homeowner use, you can probably do fine with a lower cost Ni-Cd if you stay aware of battery condition and have a charged one ready.

It is expensive to replace drill batteries. A less expensive way is to open the battery compartment and replace the innards from a battery store rather than buying a new, fully cased battery from HomeyD.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by dogcatcher223
Originally Posted by CCCC
Always the batteries go kaput first and most are too expensive to replace efficiently. So, I buy a new drill and batts cheaper than replacement.

That is why I always buy a $30-50 drill. You can get an 18v for that price, and by the time the battery dies, you just get a new setup. I have used $150 drills, and they perform exactly like the $50 drills. I think expensive cordless tools are one of the biggest scams out there...

I can't say expensive cordless tool's are a scam as I've never owned any myself, but several years back I bought a off-brand cordless drill at Rural King on special for less that $20 and so far it still works fine for the occasional fix-it or DIY project.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
Milwaukee and Makita make great cordless drills and Dewault runs a distant third if your on a budget. If you dont use it everyday you probably wont notice much difference.

Hotload Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
While I have never had much luck with Ryobi tools,
maybe I should just go to Home Depot and get a cheap
18 volt Ryobi drill. I have a Ryobi chop saw and it
sort of still works.

Anyone have a Ryobi drill ? whistle

"Far better it is to dare mighty things, to win glorious triumphs, even though checkered by failure, than to take rank with those poor spirits who neither enjoy much nor suffer much" Teddy Roosevelt
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Get the 1/2" for sure and then get a Ryobi.
Great value and all the 18 volt batteries interchange
no matter what tool and no mater what type

Maker of the Frankenstud Sling Keeper
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
I asked this same question a couple of weeks ago. here is a link to the thread.

https://www.24hourcampfire.com/ubbth...rdless_drill_suggestions_my_#Post5261431

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
PM did a review of 9 Li ion drills:

http://www.popularmechanics.com/home/reviews/power-tools/4292657

Also, go to your local library and find the May 2010 issue of consumer reports where they reviewed 55 cordless drills and 13 impact drivers.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Id say Milwaukee. We use the drills and impact guns at work. I build military vehicles and believe me these guns get used hard!

We used to run Makita. Batteries wouldnt last at all. You'd be lucky to get a full day out of them, where as the Milwaukee's are lasting 2.5-3 days. We switched to Dewalt after Makita, and they werent too much better. Switched then to Hilty. The batteries lasted alot longer at first. After a months use or so, the Hilty batteries would die in a matter of a few hours. The clutches on the Hilty's wouldnt lst either. Have since switched to Milwaukee and except for an odd battery or two here and there, have been perfect. One trigger went bad. Other than that the Milwaukee's have been perfect.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The biggest difference in how long the batteries last will be the charger.

I have some dewalts and some milwauke stuff and I took the stock charger and just turned it into a contact cradle and use the battery charger I charge my batteries for my rc planes that cost around $200.

Otto is my co-pilot.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Beat the hell out of cordless tool on a daily basis doing commercial concrete jobs. If you're going to abuse it go with Milwaukee or Makita Lithium Ion(I prefer Milwaukee we seem to be busting a lot of Makita drills at work lately, but let me reiterate, we beat the HELL out of them). For strictly home use, in the garage, those around the house projects even a Black and Decker will get the job done for years. It really does depend on how much abuse it has to take. MY personal cordless tools are Milwaukee M18 series.

Mauser Rescue Society
Founder, President, and Chairman

I don't always shoot Mausers, but when I do...I prefer VZ-24s.

jdi do píči
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Ridgid has a lifetime warranty, which includes batteries. Never have to buy any more batteries if they fail to hold a charge. Can't beat that.

Faith and love of others knows no mileage nor bounds. That's simply the way it is.
dogzapper

After the game is over, the king and the pawn go into the same box.
Italian Proverb

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

539 members (257 roberts, 06hunter59, 19rabbit52, 007FJ, 10gaugemag, 160user, 55 invisible), 12,031 guests, and 1,113 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,195,259
Posts18,544,644
Members74,060
Most Online21,066
May 26th, 2024

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.