-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My experience with blood trails and bruins is that they rarely leave much if anything of a trail to follow. But, there's always the chance that they will.

The two best blood trails I've seen over the last 29 years were made by a .416 and a 22/250....so go figure that one out. And the one via the 22/250 was far and away the most impressive of them all. And yeah, placement here could be a part of it..

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
GB1

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Best caliber for a really good blood trail is a 2 inch rage through the lungs. I shot a nice bear in sask. last fall. At a full run he made it 37 yards and tipped over. Blood out both sides for 3 feet each way. "It was like I through an ax through him." :]

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Dats my kind of blood trail!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I think that is better suited for use on pigs, not "hair pigs". wink

Although, it might be OK as long as you follow directions and wear safety goggles!
[Linked Image]

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
A relative had to shoot a nuisance bear because children were playing in the area. He gut shot it with a .204 Ruger and then had to follow it in the woods at night to finish it off. His family participated. He said it was very exciting! grin

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
IC B2

W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Originally Posted by ironbender
I think that is better suited for use on pigs, not "hair pigs". wink

Although, it might be OK as long as you follow directions and wear safety goggles!
[Linked Image]

I'd be wearing some adult undergarments as part of my "safety plan". wink
whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by whelennut
I talked to a relative who has shot lots of bears. He says a .243 is plenty if you are in a tree and shooting for the spine.
Where you hunt bears may be different than Minnesota but the brush is so thick that finding them after you kill them is the challenging part unless they leave a good blood trail you may never locate them.
I don't think they are that tough to kill just tough to find afterwards. Especially if they can crawl under a log or get into the swamp.
whelennut

I respectfully suggest your relative is overstepping his experience. Spining a bear is neither pretty nor wise, IME. A good hole through the running gear, heart, lung area is fast and deadly.

A thrashing spined bear is only partly immobile and not usually going to die fast unless a leaky hole is included. Trying to figure out where the spine is in a sometimes odd-shaped body is difficult, +P.
art

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I talked to a relative who has shot lots of bears. He says a .243 is plenty if you are in a tree and shooting for the spine.
Where you hunt bears may be different than Minnesota but the brush is so thick that finding them after you kill them is the challenging part unless they leave a good blood trail you may never locate them.
I don't think they are that tough to kill just tough to find afterwards. Especially if they can crawl under a log or get into the swamp.
whelennut

Spring black bear in my area is often done over bait because of the thick brush. I like to find them DRT in front of the barrel.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
A spine isn't my first choice of target, but it doesn't hurt my feelings to hit one.

Shoulders are too good to pass up.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Sitka deer
whelennut

I respectfully suggest your relative is overstepping his experience. Spining a bear is neither pretty nor wise, IME. A good hole through the running gear, heart, lung area is fast and deadly.

A thrashing spined bear is only partly immobile and not usually going to die fast unless a leaky hole is included. Trying to figure out where the spine is in a sometimes odd-shaped body is difficult, +P.
art
Case in point. Back in '95 while hunting with a buddy on his bait site we had a black bear come in practically right under our stand but just slightly off to the right. I drew my bow and aimed at his lung area, when I released I didn't compensate enough for him being so close and the broadhead went completely through his spine about 2 inches. That shot immobilized his back end but his front end was fully functional. He dragged himself about 10 feet and proceeded to climb a spruce tree, he got about 10 feet up the tree before my buddy finished him off with his 300 wm. Upon gutting and skinning the bear, I found the broadhead and about 3 inches of arrow sticking through his spine on the inside, a devistating wound to be sure but not nearly fatal enough. The whole time the bear was bawling and I felt terrible about making such a bad shot on him.

That's ok, I'll ass shoot a dink.

Steelhead

IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I have several very similar tee-shirts...

Like CWH2 I realize it sometimes happens and it gets dealt with when it does... OlBlue passed on a Kodiak brown bear because it would have been a straight on shot at the bear's back as it went up a steep hill... But with the 375H&H in his hand I would have called it perfect...

The 243 with a TSX or similar is perfectly adequate if things are even close to right.

Mark Begich, Joaquin Jackson, and Heller resistance... Three huge reasons to worry about the NRA.
C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
The wife's bear was shoulder/lung/spine, and I didn't think that was possible. He was F'd 3 different ways with one shot, but did manage to spin about 3 circles.

Forgot to mention that we did recover a TSX on TJ's 243 bear. Not that it was a necessary shot, but his dad adheres to the "the bear with the most holes wins" philosophy.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Longshot3, the only issue I have in bear hunting, is simply this; If you just happen to run into a bear of a lifetime and it weighs 500 or more pounds, I would sure want something in my hands besides a little .243-Ack.

My minimum would be the 30-06 using 200 or 220 grain bullets.
A .300 mag using once again 200 or 220 grain bullets.
A. .35-Whelen or .338 Win mag.
A. .375-H&H, little extra power never hurt any dead bear!

Thank Our Veterans!
GOD Bless Them All

UNIONS BUILDING AMERICA, SALUTE ALL THE UNION TRADESMAN

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
30-06, 200 grain Nosler Partition.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
Originally Posted by cwh2

Agreed. I've never had to chase one that was shot through the shoulders. Never.

Thoroughly enjoying Alaska since 2001.
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
I'd take the biggest you can handle. I personally live in upstate New York and there are some BIG black bears here because they have lots of decidious trees like oaks, beechs, and wild apples to snack on... and also the occasional corn field and apple orchard... it is NOT uncommon for hunters to kill a few 400-600 pound males every year... and just over the border in Pennsylvania they are shooting 600-700 pounders every year and some 800 pounders. The point is that black bears can get big, as big as a grizzly. I would not trust a .30-06 to prevent myself from getting into a tussle with a bear. The thing about black bears that makes them more dangerous in my opinion then grizzlies is that they are more mobile, and faster... they have such power and size and actually pound for pound are stronger then grizzly or polar bears... a 400 or 500 pound bear can move through the woods as fast a deer, and they are REALLY quiet, you won't know you are near one unless you are right up to it and it gets scared and runs off and you hear a bulldozer running through the woods. I wouldn't underestimate if I were you, they are just as dangerous as any other bear, and any animal with jaws and clawas and weighs over 200 pounds can do a lot of damage to a human which we have no claws or teeth, only our tools and fists, which are not as damaging as claws that can leave nasty puncture wounds and tear an artery. I would bring something bigger thena .30-06. I would take atleast a .338 or higher. You will be really surprised at how quiet they are in the woods. I've walked up to 400 pound bears 100 feet up in an oak tree snacking on acorns, not even knowing they are above me until you hear a whole tree snapping and cracking like it was falling down from the wind, then you look up and see a big black blob running down the tree. I saw a 400 poundish bear last year (i can tell because of claw marks, its claw marks on tree were about the size of my hands and i'm 305 pounds... so i'll give him an extra 50 or 100 pounds of fat on me, and the size of the trail he polowed through the bushes was enough to fit me through it) It was really impressive how fast that 400 pound animal got down from a 100 ft tree, like in 2 or 3 seconds. Luckily it turned around and ran away, but it was maybe 15 or 20 yards from me, if it wanted to turn around and charge i'd be in trouble. Plus you owe it to the animal you hunt to use enough gun, if you can't handle a large enough gun to kill your prey humanely and effectively then hit the gym put some pounds on your bench, get some thickness, and then come back to the range.

Last edited by Polska; 06/07/11.

Jeszcze Polska nie zginela kiedy my zyjemy,co nam obca przemoc wziela szabla odbierzemy.

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by Polska
I would not trust a .30-06 to prevent myself from getting into a tussle with a bear......

The thing about black bears that makes them more dangerous in my opinion then grizzlies is that they are more mobile, and faster... they have such power and size and actually pound for pound are stronger then grizzly or polar bears...

I would bring something bigger thena .30-06. I would take atleast a .338 or higher.

A 30/06 is among the first things I'd grab.

As to the rest of the post,Polska have you ever seen any grizzlies?

Compared to some folks on here I have not seen many....but having been pretty close to some,and watched one become an absolute buzz-saw blurr,I can guarantee you they are fast and powerful beyond comprehension....

It's common knowledge that a favorite pass time of coastal grizzlies emerging from dens,is to dig out large black bears from their own dens, like marmots,and snack on them....

Slow black bears wind up as grizzly doo-doo.....

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B
I know I'll be taking the frshy new 375 to northern maine this fall on a moose hunt in the hopes of seeing a nice big blackie.

The way life should be.
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by DanInAlaska
Originally Posted by cwh2

Agreed. I've never had to chase one that was shot through the shoulders. Never.

Don't you love working in the negative? Lots of the clueless have lots of "Nevers" too, but it doesn't stop 'em from posting... wink

Just how many dead bears have you been around... this month? wink

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Originally Posted by Polska
I'd take the biggest you can handle. I personally live in upstate New York and there are some BIG black bears here because they have lots of decidious trees like oaks, beechs, and wild apples to snack on... and also the occasional corn field and apple orchard... it is NOT uncommon for hunters to kill a few 400-600 pound males every year... and just over the border in Pennsylvania they are shooting 600-700 pounders every year and some 800 pounders. The point is that black bears can get big, as big as a grizzly. I would not trust a .30-06 to prevent myself from getting into a tussle with a bear. The thing about black bears that makes them more dangerous in my opinion then grizzlies is that they are more mobile, and faster... they have such power and size and actually pound for pound are stronger then grizzly or polar bears... a 400 or 500 pound bear can move through the woods as fast a deer, and they are REALLY quiet, you won't know you are near one unless you are right up to it and it gets scared and runs off and you hear a bulldozer running through the woods. I wouldn't underestimate if I were you, they are just as dangerous as any other bear, and any animal with jaws and clawas and weighs over 200 pounds can do a lot of damage to a human which we have no claws or teeth, only our tools and fists, which are not as damaging as claws that can leave nasty puncture wounds and tear an artery. I would bring something bigger thena .30-06. I would take atleast a .338 or higher. You will be really surprised at how quiet they are in the woods. I've walked up to 400 pound bears 100 feet up in an oak tree snacking on acorns, not even knowing they are above me until you hear a whole tree snapping and cracking like it was falling down from the wind, then you look up and see a big black blob running down the tree. I saw a 400 poundish bear last year (i can tell because of claw marks, its claw marks on tree were about the size of my hands and i'm 305 pounds... so i'll give him an extra 50 or 100 pounds of fat on me, and the size of the trail he polowed through the bushes was enough to fit me through it) It was really impressive how fast that 400 pound animal got down from a 100 ft tree, like in 2 or 3 seconds. Luckily it turned around and ran away, but it was maybe 15 or 20 yards from me, if it wanted to turn around and charge i'd be in trouble. Plus you owe it to the animal you hunt to use enough gun, if you can't handle a large enough gun to kill your prey humanely and effectively then hit the gym put some pounds on your bench, get some thickness, and then come back to the range.

Amazing!

In a charm school kind of way...

Hit the gym? Really?

Page 4 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

604 members (06hunter59, 10gaugemag, 1badf350, 12344mag, 22250rem, 222ND, 60 invisible), 2,504 guests, and 1,293 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,871
Posts18,518,028
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.