Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by mudstud
I DETEST mowers that run full throttle all the time, and if you let go of the handle the engine shuts off!

I thought everybody removed the cable that goes to the kill switch so the thing will stay running? And on riders, the kill switch on the seat gets bolted shut.

(ready for the assault on my character now for bypassing some government mandated safety device)

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
My brother is still cutting his lawn with the Snapper my dad bought in 1978. It is on it's second Briggs however!

I bought a used mower off Craigs List. Simple push mower with a 6.5 Tecumseh (sp?). New plug, carb cleaned, and fresh oil. Starts first pull every time. Not bad for 40 bucks.

If I was buying new, Toro or Honda.

Last edited by MadMooner; 06/04/11. Reason: Spelling

“Life is life and fun is fun, but it's all so quiet when the goldfish die.”
Campfire Oracle
Online Happy
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by Cheesy
I DETEST mowers that run full throttle all the time, and if you let go of the handle the engine shuts off!

I thought everybody removed the cable that goes to the kill switch so the thing will stay running? And on riders, the kill switch on the seat gets bolted shut.

(ready for the assault on my character now for bypassing some government mandated safety device)
You're a bad man! smile

How'd I do?

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
T
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
T
I got a Husquvarna I like a lot. It rolls with a 5hp Honda.

Camp is where you make it.
J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by Cheesy

On a push mower, instead of removing cable's, I use a plastic wire tie closed far enough to make small-ish loop but still big enough that I can easily slide it up over and back down off the kill switch bail on the handle.

IC B2

P
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Best push lawnmower ...

One my wife pushes.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Jocko_Slugshot
My 25-year-old Lawnboy

I thought only guys in San Francisco got behind a 25 year old lawnboy?

T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
My son-in-law hooked us up with a John Deere walk behind. It is electric start, a 190 cc engine, one lever height adjustment, and either mulches, bags, or discharges. It is self propelled, variable speed........ my wife loves it. laugh I have a Sears hydrostatic tractor. grin

John Deere

"Keep thy heart with all diligence; for out of it are the issues of life." (Prov 4:23)

Brother Keith

C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by tzone
I got a Husquvarna I like a lot. It rolls with a 5hp Honda.

That sounds like a great, reliable machine.
But prob a bit pricey.
For a cheap , running machine, I've had good luck with MTD

Not Honda reliable, but usually 1/2 the cost.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Comrade_Cheese
TORO Super Recycler
[Linked Image]

I only mulch with this one, and did not buy the bagging system which saves a few bucks. Has been running strong for years.
I shopped the chit out of mowers, and this one came out on top.

I have this one as well....best mulching mower I've used. Cutting height adjustment design could be better, but it works. Starts first pull every time.

IC B3

D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
I have two brothers in the landscape maintenance business as well as a cousin and some good friends. I always get free hand-me-down mowers from my brothers. I mow one very small lawn so it doesn't much matter to me. I had a Honda for 15 years and I currently have a Toro (piece of junk). I see what the buy and and ask them about the mowers and preferences. To a man, they all say that the Tru-cut is the best. It is one of the few mowers that will do a good job on turf lawns as well as regular bermuda and fescues.

Myself, I always preferred the Sensations and Bobcats but I don't even know if they are made anymore. If I had a bigger lawn and didn't have a son at home, I might get a nicer mower. Since you were talking about 'upgrading' I thought I would throw out the Tru-cut. They are the Rolls Royce of walk behind mowers and priced accordingly.

http://www.trucutmower.com/images/C2151HP/C2151%20Cover%20Shot.ltshadow_large.jpg

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

B
B
Originally Posted by Bricktop
Consumer Reports rated the Honda HRX2172HXA as #1 (scored 83 out of 100), the Toro Super Recycler 20092 as #2 (81 out of 100), the Honda HRR216K7VXA as #3 (79 out of 100), the Toro Super Bagger 20194, the Toro Super Bagger 20192, and the Honda HRX2172VKA all tied for #4 (78 out of 100), and the Honda HRR216K7VKA as #5 (77 out of 100).

Wow I didnt know you read anything other than playgirl magazine and hardcore gay erotica.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
TORO Super Recycler
[Linked Image]

I only mulch with this one, and did not buy the bagging system which saves a few bucks. Has been running strong for years.

Looks like this is the one! I went and looked at the Hondas today and I am too tall, I would have to mow with my hands down by my waist or hunch over, it just didnt feel right. I found a Super Recycler with the Personal Pace system for $500 even, I plan on having it a LONG damn time

Thanks everybody!

Drummond

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by antlers
6 weeks ago I bought a new Toro from Home Depot. It's self propelled, front wheel drive, larger rear wheels, recycles clippings to mulch, has a 6.75 hp Briggs, and is no choke and no prime, and it starts on the first pull. It's got a hose receptacle on the deck for washing underneath the mower. It's the best mower I've had, bar none. $299 out the door. Comes with a bag too, if you wanna catch your clippings. I like using it so much...that I water the crap out of my grass just so I can cut it.

sounds like the one i bought from the local dealer here a few weeks ago but would have to look to make sure mine has the same size engine as yours but all the details including price(i paid $325 to the local guy) are inline with mine.....only had it a short time but so far i like it.....only time it took more than one pull to start was the very first time when i bought it.....

Last edited by rattler; 06/08/11.

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Well, which one did you end up getting? I was in the shop today getting a new wheel for my POS Toro and was reminded of this thread. They had a nice Tru-cut and a Honda. I'm thinking I will milk this Toro a little longer. It uses one tank of oil per tank of gas so its days are numbered!

NRA Benefactor Member

Those who live by the sword get shot by those who don't.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
My five year old Toro was parked under my boat all winter.
Pulled it out, gave the priming bulb fifteen pumps and it started on the first pull

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I think mine is the best. It's powered by the wife. laugh

My idea of being organic is taking a dump in the woods.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Well got tired of working on my 26 year old Murray with a 5hp Briggs Quantum motor everytime I needed it to work. Both Lowes and Tractor Supply offer a 21" cut with 11" rear wheels side discharge and or rear bagger powered by the 160 cc Honda smooth& quiet statrts easy and is easy on the gas.$250.00 Only $30 more than the same with the Briggs. Don't need ear muffs to run the SOB. Magnum Man

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
TORO Super Recycler
[Linked Image]

+1.....I have this one.....great mower

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
While my riding mower is in the shop, I've been using a 38 yr old Sensation...Sure cuts nice although not too wide.

No Farmers---No Food
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

286 members (204guy, 17CalFan, 257_X_50, 29aholic, 219 Wasp, 38 invisible), 2,336 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,625
Posts18,492,865
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.