Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
ranger1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Made it back from our bear hunt a few days early last night. Weather was great for the first three days and then we started to see snow and rain with no let up in the near future so I pulled the pin early.
[Linked Image]
We arrived Friday evening and set up camp in a Forest Service campground. 5AM came pretty early the next morning and we rushed to get our eyes on a bear. By 6:15AM we had a nice 5'ish blonde on top, cinnamon on bottom, bear spotted in an avalanche chute. We made a valiant effort to get on him but he had moved off before we got to him. This same story repeated itself 6 more times in one form or another between Saturday morning and Monday afternoon. We were seeing a lot of bears and the midday fishing was pretty outstanding. Really wasn't any down time on this trip. We looked for bears in the morning, returned to camp for a big meal, fished for a few hours, then looked for bears until dark.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]
By Monday afternoon I had routes for every visable chute that we could feasibly get to before a spotted bear moved off. At 4PMish we spotted a beautiful 5' chocolate in one of the chutes that we had been watching. This was the easiest chute to access quietly and only about a half mile off the road. We quickly moved to the other side of the creek and jogged the half mile to the base of the chute he was feeding in. At this point we began to slowly creep through the snow at the base of the chute until we eventually could see the area that he had been feeding in. We took a prone position in the snow and waited just a few minutes and he appeared from some willows at the edge of the opening about 175 yards uphill. At this point I told the boy to take him the first chance he was given. A couple of seconds later the bear moved broadside and he sent a 140 BST into his vitals. The bear kept his feet and turned toward the trees. The boy asked if he should hit him again and I told him to shoot until he went down. He shot 3 more times as fast as he could work the bolt and down went the bear. Upon closer examination the first shot would have done it - all 4 shots could have been covered with a Copenhagen lid. After skinning and quartering the bear, I loaded the boy up with the hide and off we went. Back at camp he squared up at just shy of 5'3", with a perfect hide and nice rich chocolate color - I would have been pretty happy with that bear at 14 and I think the boy is too. That night it started to rain, which then turned to snow and back to rain again. The forcast was looking like rain for a couple more days, so we got camp loaded up and headed back toward the prairies. Couldn't have been happier if I had shot a 7' blackie, this was probably the best hunt I've ever been on and I didn't kill a thing.
[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Awesome story. Congrats to your son.

Whatever a 7x57 can do a 270 can do better.

True fair chase is you in the woods buttnaked with nothing but your finger nails and teeth.

If you'e fixin' to put a hole in something, make it a hole to remember.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Cool trip....and very nice pictures.

Thanks for posting.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Congrats to your son on his bear and you for showing him the way.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Well done my friend well done!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
IC B2

ranger1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Thanks Mark, your info was very much appreciated.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Excellent hunting, friends. The only thing I would have done differently is I would have stayed longer. Time spent in hunting camp with family and friends is precious, raining or not. I would rather be there than breathe.

Our God reigns.
Harrumph!!!
I often use quick reply. My posts are not directed toward any specific person unless I mention them by name.
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
Nice, great work!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
email me some pics when you get caught up a bit

Dober

Last edited by Mark R Dobrenski; 06/08/11.

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Pretty bear. Congrats to the lad...and you.

eta: Sorry if I missed it - cartridge? rifle?

Last edited by ironbender; 06/08/11.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B3

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Excellent story and write up...where the hell did you guys find clear water???? grin

"...the left considers you vermin, and they'll kill you given the chance..." Bristoe
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Iron-seems to me it was a 280 with a 140 NBT.

Dober

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
...you can't kill anything with a 140 ballistic tip. They blow up on hair laugh That looks like a twin to my first bear. Nicely done! Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Nice story and congrats to you both!

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Flinch
...you can't kill anything with a 140 ballistic tip. They blow up on hair laugh That looks like a twin to my first bear. Nicely done! Flinch

Egads! The young man used a Ballistic Tip on a bear! Lucky to be alive for sure! grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Very nice bear.

Good shooting by your son.

What rifle did he use?

C
CLB Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
ranger1,

Great hunting story and pictures as usual. Congratulations to the both of you!

ranger1 Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
He was shooting a Ruger Hawkeye stainless in .280 Rem. with a stock custom painted just for him by kend from here at the fire and 140gr. Ballistic Silvertips. Thanks for the kind comments fellas - it was a good time for sure.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
cool stuff Nate......hope to finally go after bruins for the first time sometime in the next 12 months......provided i dont hurt myself again eek

A serious student of the "Armchair Safari" always looking for Africa/Asia hunting books
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Very cool and nice bear. The trout are dandies as well. Your son is a lucky young man and you a fortunate dad to have a son that, at that age, still thinks its cool to hang with dad.

Adversity doesn't build character, it reveals it.
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

108 members (3dtestify, 7887mm08, 358wsm, 280Ackleyrized, 338Rules, 35, 12 invisible), 980 guests, and 885 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,091
Posts18,522,129
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.