Hop To
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
L
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
L
Originally Posted by Polska
I'd take the biggest you can handle. I personally live in upstate New York and there are some BIG black bears here because they have lots of decidious trees like oaks, beechs, and wild apples to snack on... and also the occasional corn field and apple orchard... it is NOT uncommon for hunters to kill a few 400-600 pound males every year... and just over the border in Pennsylvania they are shooting 600-700 pounders every year and some 800 pounders. The point is that black bears can get big, as big as a grizzly. I would not trust a .30-06 to prevent myself from getting into a tussle with a bear. The thing about black bears that makes them more dangerous in my opinion then grizzlies is that they are more mobile, and faster... they have such power and size and actually pound for pound are stronger then grizzly or polar bears... a 400 or 500 pound bear can move through the woods as fast a deer, and they are REALLY quiet, you won't know you are near one unless you are right up to it and it gets scared and runs off and you hear a bulldozer running through the woods. I wouldn't underestimate if I were you, they are just as dangerous as any other bear, and any animal with jaws and clawas and weighs over 200 pounds can do a lot of damage to a human which we have no claws or teeth, only our tools and fists, which are not as damaging as claws that can leave nasty puncture wounds and tear an artery. I would bring something bigger thena .30-06. I would take atleast a .338 or higher. You will be really surprised at how quiet they are in the woods. I've walked up to 400 pound bears 100 feet up in an oak tree snacking on acorns, not even knowing they are above me until you hear a whole tree snapping and cracking like it was falling down from the wind, then you look up and see a big black blob running down the tree. I saw a 400 poundish bear last year (i can tell because of claw marks, its claw marks on tree were about the size of my hands and i'm 305 pounds... so i'll give him an extra 50 or 100 pounds of fat on me, and the size of the trail he polowed through the bushes was enough to fit me through it) It was really impressive how fast that 400 pound animal got down from a 100 ft tree, like in 2 or 3 seconds. Luckily it turned around and ran away, but it was maybe 15 or 20 yards from me, if it wanted to turn around and charge i'd be in trouble. Plus you owe it to the animal you hunt to use enough gun, if you can't handle a large enough gun to kill your prey humanely and effectively then hit the gym put some pounds on your bench, get some thickness, and then come back to the range.

WOW! You sure it wasn't just black squirrels up in the treetops?
They can really cause a ruckus. I know about black bears. I was fortunate enough to live in Alaska for 8 years and did my fair share up hunting from SE to around King Salmon. While I lived there my "light" gun was my 30-06 and the one that got the most use was my .338 Win Mag. Never had to join Golds Gym to shoot those....grin. As far as the 243AI's ability to kill a black bear, I have no doubt that it would work, and work well, if the conditions were right and the hunter is able to control himself. Lots of guys here would, and have agreed. Dont recall anyone here saying that they were mauled after shooting one with a 243, or the 25's and the likes. A TTSX or similar, through the lungs, with a big bore off to the side "just in case", will do.

GB1

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
I'd take the biggest you can handle. I personally live in upstate New York and there are some BIG black bears here because they have lots of decidious trees like oaks, beechs, and wild apples to snack on... and also the occasional corn field and apple orchard... it is NOT uncommon for hunters to kill a few 400-600 pound males every year... and just over the border in Pennsylvania they are shooting 600-700 pounders every year and some 800 pounders. The point is that black bears can get big, as big as a grizzly. I would not trust a .30-06 to prevent myself from getting into a tussle with a bear. The thing about black bears that makes them more dangerous in my opinion then grizzlies is that they are more mobile, and faster... they have such power and size and actually pound for pound are stronger then grizzly or polar bears... a 400 or 500 pound bear can move through the woods as fast a deer, and they are REALLY quiet, you won't know you are near one unless you are right up to it and it gets scared and runs off and you hear a bulldozer running through the woods. I wouldn't underestimate if I were you, they are just as dangerous as any other bear, and any animal with jaws and clawas and weighs over 200 pounds can do a lot of damage to a human which we have no claws or teeth, only our tools and fists, which are not as damaging as claws that can leave nasty puncture wounds and tear an artery. I would bring something bigger thena .30-06. I would take atleast a .338 or higher. You will be really surprised at how quiet they are in the woods. I've walked up to 400 pound bears 100 feet up in an oak tree snacking on acorns, not even knowing they are above me until you hear a whole tree snapping and cracking like it was falling down from the wind, then you look up and see a big black blob running down the tree. I saw a 400 poundish bear last year (i can tell because of claw marks, its claw marks on tree were about the size of my hands and i'm 305 pounds... so i'll give him an extra 50 or 100 pounds of fat on me, and the size of the trail he polowed through the bushes was enough to fit me through it) It was really impressive how fast that 400 pound animal got down from a 100 ft tree, like in 2 or 3 seconds. Luckily it turned around and ran away, but it was maybe 15 or 20 yards from me, if it wanted to turn around and charge i'd be in trouble. Plus you owe it to the animal you hunt to use enough gun, if you can't handle a large enough gun to kill your prey humanely and effectively then hit the gym put some pounds on your bench, get some thickness, and then come back to the range.

Cool. How many black bears have you shot or seen shot with a 243, 30-06, and 338 to draw these conclusions?

So far this year, it's been 243, 7 Rem Mag, 280 Rem, 338 Win, and 300 WSM. The .338 was the loudest.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I love my .243, and I'm sure it would work just fine on black bears. However, it wouldn't be my first choice, nor the first round I'd recommend to someone else. My .30-06 would make me feel much more comfortable about taking a shot that wasn't 100% perfect.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
cant comment we have only little slow grizz here ....

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

If you don't trust yourself, best not get into a tussle with anything - much less a bear. Other way round - if you are in trouble with a black bear and can not sort it out with an .30 cal. bullet, you are commentening on your marksmanship (thanks to .458 Win, we have that quote).

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

IC B2

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by cmg

If you don't trust yourself, best not get into a tussle with anything - much less a bear. Other way round - if you are in trouble with a black bear and can not sort it out with an .30 cal. bullet, you are commentening on your marksmanship (thanks to .458 Win, we have that quote).

Don't listen to a German giving advice on how to hunt an animal that doesn't exist in his part of the world.

Jeszcze Polska nie zginela kiedy my zyjemy,co nam obca przemoc wziela szabla odbierzemy.

Bog, Honor, Ojczyzna
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B

Don't listen to a German giving advice on how to hunt an animal that doesn't exist in his part of the world.

Carl guides in Alaska for one of the top brown bear outfitters in the state smirk....he probably has bumped into more bears by accident than you have on purpose....and I will bet he has killed far more of them than you have,as well....Besides, Europe ain't exactly devoid of bears,either.

You're over your head here Polska...these guys have too much "bear" experience on here...

While on the subject of calibers,of the many friends and I have killed,here in NH and Maine,and using everything from the Roberts to the 375,a couple of the more egregious tracking jobs we have had involved a 257 Roberts and a 340 Weatherby....in both instances the shots were too far back....the others folded like napkins to 270's, 30/06's,280's 7 mags etc....Hit well, they are not hard to kill...hit sloppily with anything and it's rodeo time.

Last edited by BobinNH; 06/08/11.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
B

Polska Offnung mund und stellt FuB hinein!

Polska, you are a laugh a minute! Keep em' coming, laddie-buck!

"You've been here longer than the State of Alaska is old!"
*** my Grandaughters

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
bear,

great quote... right you are.

Bob,

thank you.

P,

no advice was given - advice is not what you are seeking anyways.

You have been given advice on bearhunting by 458 Win. w/o recognizing the source...which in itself is a feat.

Keep the laughs coming...

Member of the Merry Band of turdlike People.

W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
Hi Carl,

I don't know about black bears or bears in general for myself except some i took pictures of in northern British Columbia or Vancouver island. For what i've seen if i planned a trophy hunt for bear i would go to something bigger than 243 or 270 even if these calibers can take their toll.
It seems today, in all parts of the world, hunters want to use the smaller caliber available for hunting, as if it was a sort of challenge. Hunting is not survival...
For me game deserve respect, so we must use an " enough caliber" just in case of, one we can shoot and manage well with enough "ooomph" for the largest most dangerous game of the area.
In the US, Canada, Sweden, Finland (will be there in october 2011) you have access to 30-06 so why use a lesser one. As french i would use german caliber, not the worst: 9,3x62 cause i trust it as i trust my shooting ability, or may be my 8x68S. If money come, for an Alaskan or Russian bear hunt, they would be with me again cause i know they will do the job and i control them well. The most important thing. As Ruark said "use enough gun" and i add, the right bullet. Hunters spoke always of ammo and rifles but not often of their "real ability"....Most of them don't even really train or stay fit enough to walk a day long.
Calibers for bears, buffalos, wild boars, deers, elks all these discussions seem redundant, not only on the fire but in every hunting camp and in my job as outdoor writer/consultant. I don't know ( and all other friends here), about you but it's boring me a bit.
But, there's always a but: it's good to read advices of people like some of the Alaskans there, from Phil and you too who know by experience what they spoke of.
All the best from France.
Dom

Experience is a lantern, carried in our back, only lightening already walked path. (Confucius)
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter

More than a couple of those 700-800+ pound bears you mention being shot here in PA have fallen to the lowly .30-30 Winchester. Last year's 800 pounder fell to a crossbow! I think I'd rather have a .243. grin

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Originally Posted by bearhuntr

Polska Offnung mund und stellt FuB hinein!

Polska opening mouth and foot is inside!

Gotta love Google.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
well i no a guy here in pa that shot a 800 pound black bear and he used a regular 280. I asked him how it went he said just like a big black fuzzy whitetail. drt

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Dom,

that s certainly not the funny part of the forum.

some are giving real world experiences like Carl or Phil but seems from people not living there or hunting on a regular basis that advices are differents ...

my roots will tell me nothing below a 7mm for bear and the 8x68s (you wrote a nice article about few years ago) or the 9,3x62 are very good for that but nowadays some are trying to use the least caliber they can.

but a good 30-06 with 200 or 220 grains wont be bad or course.

for bears whatever they re im in love with my 375 ruger but again here in Yukon our bears are "not" huge but can be in good size too ...

all the best

Phil

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
[Linked Image]

6' plus black bear boar I killed with one shot through the ribcage while he worked the edge of a large chockcherry patch in early Sepetember. I was out calling coyotes and had along my favorite coyote rifle, A Sako .220 swift. I never considered not shooting this bear because I only had a swift along.

IMO, black bears arent any harder to kill than a deer. FWIW, I've killed 31 blackies here in Montana, Wyoming, Idaho and Alaska and seen at least that many if not more killed by guys I hunt with.....shot placement is still king.

I packed a .280 for my Alaskan black bears......go with the rifle you shoot the best and are the most comfortable with.

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Now that rifle has some panache!

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
scenarshooter,
Do you mind sharing what bullet you use in your Swift?
Every time I shoot my Swift I get lots of expansion and I think that would limit penetration on a bear wouldn't it?
Minnesota recently changed the law to allow .22 centerfire on big game. That includes bear and presumably moose although they used to suggest a .280 Remington as a sensible minimum IIRC.
Our bears are a little bashful about coming out in the open unless it is after dark. A flat shooting bear rifle isn't really needed in the woods where we hunt them. We normally bait them and sit in a tree stand. I have heard of guys hunting an oats field and that is where the Swift might work out for me. If they have their head down eating nobody would even know they were there.
Whelennut

I like to do my hunting BEFORE I pull the trigger!
There is only one kind of dead, but there are many different kinds of wounded.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Scenar and I know a couple guys from this area who've taken a handfull of good bruins over bait north of the border. Using 22/250's and I think 55 Horns or Fed 55 grain classics.

Dober

"True respect starts with the way you treat others, and it is earned over a lifetime of demonstrating kindness, honor and dignity"....Tony Dungy
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
[Linked Image]

Here's a Big Sky bruin taken via flight 63 Ugly. Bruin was 178 yds after he began to leave after I had called him in and quartering away. Bullet went in about where his love handle would be and exited where his adams apple would be.

20 3/16"

Dober

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by scenarshooter

IMO, black bears arent any harder to kill than a deer.

I packed a .280.....

Or a 270..... smile Course I mostly used Bitterroots and Nosler Partitions;both of which make it kind of like cheating.....and have found what Pat and Dober have found...namely that black bear die about like deer do to similar hits.I have never observed them to be "tough" to kill,unless hit poorly, which should not surprise anyone.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
Page 5 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

541 members (22kHornet, 160user, 1234, 19rabbit52, 1lessdog, 219 Wasp, 45 invisible), 2,357 guests, and 1,192 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,858
Posts18,517,729
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.