-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
OP Offline
Hello all,

I'm looking for a new elk rifle. I came across a used but in good condition Mauser M96 American chambered in a .300 Win Mag for $489 in my local gun shop. It is a great looking rifle and feels good in my hands. This is one of the more unique rifles I've seen, it has a "straight pull" bolt. Iv'e attempted to do some research on this Mauser and found very little. I did find it was made for 2 years but didn't really take off here in the U.S. and was discontinued. It is a very light rifle (6.5 lbs) with over all good accuracy. The main complaint I have found is a heavy trigger pull. One thing that I noticed was that it did not have a detachable mag or a floor plate. I was hoping some one had some info about this rifle before make the purchase.
[Linked Image]

This is a pic I found of the same model but it is not the gun and dose not have a scope or mounts on it. I just wanted to show off the "sliding bolt".

Iv'e hunted with a Remington 710 in a 30-06 my whole life and was looking for something with similar recoil. I don't know how much a step up from a 30-06 to a 300 win mag would be (very light gun). I had some options in a 270 WSM. Both those would be a new Tikka TK3 Light with a Burris scope ($710) and a Browning X-Bolt Hunter ($800). I hear great things about Tikka but just doesn't feel right in my hands (maybe its the plastic) and I have handled a A-Bolt and liked it (I would think the X-Bolt would be very similar).

Thanks for your help!

Outstanding. Now all we need is a deck of cards.
GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
There were fine rifles.

Nothing inventive sells here except to the high end crowd (Blaser).

300 winmag is far superior in power and flexibilty to the 270 WSM, especially in a long action (30-06 length) which is what you have. I had one in 06' and you could really rap them downrange. With 150 TSXs and 1/2 gr under max AA4350 under a Leupold 2.5-8x36, it would drop 3 into 1 MOA or less out to 400 (farthest I shot it).

Not to pick on Remington, but it's 10 times the rifle a 710 is/was.

Given it's difference for 95% of hunters, I'll bet you could get it for $450 or less.

Good luck!

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
A 300 Win .mag in a 6 1/2 lb. rifle will get your attention.Sumpthin to think about.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
OP Offline
Thanks for the comments thus far. If I put a limb saver on it, think it would be manageable?

E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
I have one in 30-06 and LOVE it. It it extremely accurate, fast-shooting, and lightweight. Mine has a nice trigger, too.

The geometry of the stock really shoves. I've fired friends' '06s and noted a pretty substantial difference. In 300 Win that shove will be exagerated.

Truth is, if you're looking for an elk rifle you've already got one. You don't need a 300 WM (or any other mag) to take down an elk.

But, as GW said, this rifle is FAR more rifle than that 710 could ever hope to be, and that is a great price for one of these.

IC B2

OP Offline
My Remington 710's clip latch broke, I have to duct tape the clip in. It was a little rifle I bought when I was 18. I'm long over due for a new rifle.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You'll never notice the recoil when that 6X6 walks out.

Limbsaver will tame it and get a Past pad for the bench.

http://www.battenfeldtechnologies.com/past/catalog.asp?product=Mag-Plus-Recoil-Shield-Ambidextrous

7.5-8 pounds for a 300 WinMag walk about rifle (scoped and loaded) is about right. Get a small light scope too ! 2-7 Leupold will kill any Elk that walks.

My non hand operated 300 WinMag comes in a tad over 8 pound.

D
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
D
Originally Posted by Huntz
A 300 Win .mag in a 6 1/2 lb. rifle will get your attention.Sumpthin to think about.

My 6 1/2# Ed Brown Damara is a .300 Win Mag and it's not bad to shoot. The McM stock helps, as does the brake...

I know, it'a noisy. I tried it a time or two w/o the brake. Didn't take me long to get it screwed back in place, and that's where it stays...

Brake in place, it's about like shooting my 6.5-284. Seems to me like my .257 Mark V with full house 115 gr. loads, jabs more than the Damara with brake. They do feel different, Damara is the only one with a brake, so it's hard to compare precisely...

Seems like smoother recoil with the brake, not as much of a jab, if that makes sense...

DF

OP Offline
So all in all sounds like a winner. I am going to go in there and see if I can talk him down a little. Maybe buy a scope from him and have him mount it and bore sight it for me. Maybe $450 like Goddiewrench suggested?

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
bah! just buy a Remington 700 and be done with it...

30-06 till i die, the greatest round ever!

I carry a gun because a cop is too heavy!

CEO of a Turdlike People: Turds & Tats Division... (per Ingwe grin )
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Cool rifle !

At a good price.

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Limbsaver sure would help.A friend had one of these when they first came out.I do not know if he ever shot it.Sure can not beat that price.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
E
efw Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Originally Posted by ironeagle_84
bah! just buy a Remington 700 and be done with it...

As a fellow Mauser fanatic I'll just assume you're joking and not put you on ignore... this time wink ...

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I shot a friend's 7mm Rem Mag on several occasions. I was really impressed with how smooth it cycled. I expected it to have a more "ratchety" feel to it. The one thing I was not a huge fan of was the polymer bolt handle. Don't get me wrong it seemed very solid, and well built. There was just something that turned me off to it.

D
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
D
I am surprised you didn't break it cool cool cool

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
grin

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yeah, I once drove a Ferrari F40 for 100 miles too, but would hardly feel qualified to evaluate it, as could the fellow who owned it (still has it) and has driven it 70,000 miles.

I seem to recall an oft mentioned problem with 700 bolt handles breaking off...... grin

Lets ask Swampy. grin

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I had one in .308. It was an accurate rifle and felt good, but I could never warm up to it for some reason. Maybe because of the straight pull. I paid about the same as you did for mine, a pretty good deal.

I sold mine eventually.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by goodiewrench
Yeah, I once drove a Ferrari F40 for 100 miles too, but would hardly feel qualified to evaluate it, as could the fellow who owned it (still has it) and has driven it 70,000 miles.

I seem to recall an oft mentioned problem with 700 bolt handles breaking off...... grin

Lets ask Swampy. grin

Well Lawrence, I was merely offering my personal thoughts. I didn't make a single comment about the rifles accuracy, durability, functionality aside from the statement about finding its cycle pleasingly smoother than expected. If had done so perhaps your analogy would have been accurate, but alas I didn't you made a foolish comparsson. Nothing unusual for you though Lawrence.
My subjective thoughts on the plastic bolt handle were mine, and mine alone. I would say its much like my opinion that you are trolling, lying, sack of schitt, but far too many other members here share that thought....
I guess this means you have taken me off of ignore?

OP Offline
I appreciate all the comments. I feel the same way about the Tikka, I read that its a great gun but when it's in my hands it just feels wrong. The plastic feels almost hollow and the bolt handle feels weak. My own personal hangups but enough to make me pass on it.

I still haven't made it back down to the gun store. What should I be looking for when I inspect it for the purchase? Iv'e been told to look at the rifeling and what not (might be tough on this gun, the bolt isn't the easiest thing to get out).

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (1minute, 10gaugemag, 16penny, 06hunter59, 01Foreman400, 222Sako, 65 invisible), 2,410 guests, and 1,240 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,546
Posts18,491,649
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.