-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Boyd, I'd like to try shooting your guns at paper sometime just to try 'em out. Tell us about your rifles, loads, bullets, optics, range finders, and ballistics charts for wind, humidity, elevation, etc., please. I'd be interested in learning more. By the way, I am not opposed to people doing what you are doing as long as it is done responsibably.

Rolly
GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
NO,
<br>
<br>Back from a long/cold and fruitless 2hr. boat ride,trying to get to work today(impossible). I just put on a pot of coffee and figured I'd head to this thread,'cuz I kew it would be colorful.
<br>
<br>I can't answer for anybody but myself and I do what interests me. I've killed critters at 10yds and I've killed them farther than what you'd likely deem as appropriate distance. Dead is dead and I've no qualm with dealing death up close,or stretching her a tad,if conditions are favorable.
<br>
<br>The cyanide gun is a far stretch from anything I've mentioned,besides being illegal. I don't see a critter I want and back up from it,to add some sort of "challenge" to the harvest.
<br>
<br>Every situation is unique unto itself. Sometimes I'll happily pass an opportunity,other times I'll shoot without reservation. Practice,experience and good equipment are my focal point. That others choose may choose a different path,in the punching of their tags,is of zero concern to me.
<br>
<br>We all gotta sleep in our own beds and I sleep well...............
<br>
<br>

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
In hunter education the question is posed. How far should you shoot? The answer is also really a question. how far can you get a clean one shot kill? For some it is 50 yards for others it is further. Without slinging any mud since I do not know you new guys and how you really hunt, but having seen some so called longrange shooters at work I question how many longrange shooters check each and every shot that they take. I know the ones I have seen do not bother if the deer/elk/antelope run off. I would guess that most hunters have no business even thinking about shooting past 200-250 yards on their best day. tom

"if it's got tits or tires, it's going to give you grief, one way or another."
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pumpgun, -- I'm with you, and out of this killing thing.
<br>
<br>I though I would be interested in the long range shooting thing but found out it's way over my head in equipment. Now hunting guns is a different matter along with the loads, as long as they are not published in a book. I have seen many posts copied straight out of a manuel, ugg. Stick is the best counsellor we have around this fire as for actual experience using them.
<br>Stick, everytime I get on rough water I say that's the last time I try that, but stuff happens and we all get caught. Guess that ole tree will have to wait another day or two. Is the rest of the crew out? -- no

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Glad I don't limit myself to 250 yards or there'd be one more big black bear still running around in S.E. Alaska instead of at my taxidermist's shop....and that would suck btw. I'm not capable of 500 yard shots with my current set up so I don't take them, but I do know what I can do, and don't hesitate when the opportunity presents it's self. I'm in the process of learning how to strech the mark out to 500 yards and beyond, but as to whether I'll do it while hunting depends on how proficient I become, and how much confindence I have at such ranges. Regardless of how far I become proficient at shooting, the learning process on the "range" will be most entertaining/fun and that's what it is all about for me.

Is it Friday yet?
IC B2

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I saw the fireworks coming from a mile off so thought I'd read this thread and see where it was headed. I surely wasn't disappointed! [Linked Image] Been a long time since Sonnie got his panties in a knot this tight! [Linked Image]
<br>
<br>While I agree most shooters should definitely have a self imposed limit of 250 yards or so (some much shorter), I don't have a real difficulty with a PRACTICED, DISCIPLINED, PROPERLY EQUIPPED hunter taking much longer shots as long as the follow up is undertaken at all times. From what I am reading of the LRH posts, I would have no problem with his methodologies or ethics.
<br>What I don't understand is this- as a group, we are pretty prepared to accept some pretty fantastic results which are verifiable for benchrest shooters, long range competitors, and across the course shooters. Of course, this relates to shooting targets and not living animals. But I just don't understand the reluctance to transfer this skill over to hunting when it can be proven that it can and does happen on a consistent basis with the best shooters. With the proper mindset, practice, equipment and preparation, at the moment of truth in all respects, a game animal is just another target. If you shoot for center of bull every time and accomplish that, what does it matter if it is paper or game?
<br>The most accurate statement made in this whole thread is that many more people miss at under 100 yards than practiced long range hunters miss at much longer ranges. I believe most of this is due to the fact that most game shot at longer ranges are not nearly as spooked or nervous, so are much less likely to be moving at the shot or be spooked after the shot is taken, allowing for a second shot. I've actually had this happen a couple of times. In my experience, most game shot at long ranges just lays down and dies fairly close to where it is shot.
<br>OK, let the fireworks continue [Linked Image]- Sheister

Never underestimate your ability to overestimate your ability.
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
BigSky , I never said anyhting about you limiting yourself to 200-250 yard shots I said most hunters. I think I have seen you among others talking about the once a year guys at the range on sightin day. Do you realy want those guys trying to do longrange shooting? tom

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sky,
<br>
<br>You hit it on the head. First you gotta have the know how/skill. Then you gotta have the tools. I saw you hit what you were aiming at,over 720yds away with the first shot and that with a nasty old X bullet and EVERYONE knows they "don't shoot". It wasn't a critter,but a small rock on a snow field. None of that was luck.
<br>
<br>I was laughing in my misery today,as we have a new Boss fresh from DownSouth,that was gonna educate us all on navigation "skills". He left from port,with about 400yd visibility in the fog and a SE wind that was gusting to 40mph .Neither a good idea,and dangerous in conjunction,during this time of year. 50/50 snow and rain mix,and about 35degrees isn't the weather you want to play "Survivor" in.
<br>
<br>Long story short,we allowed him to stay lost for 2hrs,until I could take no more and had to chime in. We were less than 3 miles due South of where you happened to kill that Bear you mention,when I turned the boat around and pointed on the chart where we were and where we needed to go(about 15miles South of that location). I left the house at 4:30AM this morning in the crummy,didn't get back home until 10:15AM and never made a nickel for my troubles. I can see where I'm going to lose my civil nature with my all-knowing Boss and there is going to be fireworks. It's guys like him,that get themselves killed up here,every year.
<br>
<br>Anyhow,funny you mentioned your Bear and I was so very close to that location this morning. Though certainly NOT on purpose!....................
<br>
<br>
<br>
<br>

Brad says: "Can't fault Rick for his pity letting you back on the fire... but pity it was and remains. Nothing more, nothing less. A sad little man in a sad little dream."
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
BigStick, Sheister and SilverBullet showed me the video of you shooting crows when I was up in OR visiting last year. most impressive shooting. tom

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

<br>I'm awaiting a video from Stick about Crow Shooting and such. Can't wait to see it.
<br>
<br>I knew this would be an interesting thread! There's no question that long range hunting is becoming more popular and doable with today's equipment.
<br>
<br>One tip to the newer guys, you might want to start a thread about Long Range on the 'Big Game" Board or "Rifles" board instead of the Campfire board. I think you got Sonnie's(need one) panties in a wad.[Linked Image]

James
IC B3

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
pumpgun,
<br>
<br>Likely "The Pimp" was shooting and I was filming/laughing. I hope my Choir Boy image remains intact..............

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Pumpgun, nope it wasn't me talking about the guys at the range as I haven't been to a public range since my teens. However I've read enough horror stories to agree with you that there are a number of folks that shouldn't be shooting past 250 yards. However there's a good many of those folks that shouldn't be handling a gun at all. One other thing I definitely agree with is that there's a whole heap of shots missed under 100 yards that should be consider chip shots. I witnessed it more than once this year and I don't think all my hair has grown back from me pulling on it. I've shot enough to know a person can miss at just about any distance over a yard. I've missed under 100 yard shots myself, but only twice on deer. One was at around 20 yards with a very large whitetail buck moving at warp speed. I had a doe running to my right and the buck running to my left. I shot the doe at about 35 yards and she nose dived, I swung to the left and fired at the buck full well expecting him to do the same. Never happened, missed him clean, but I'm sure it wasn't by much. The guys that owned the ranch chased him around the rest of the season, nobody ever got him. The problem in this case was a fixed 6x scope. Not real conducive to point blank shooting. Big Stick has that scope now btw, and there's no love lost on my part. The other buck I missed made the mistake of giving me one more chance at just over 200 yards. Let's just say the result of my second shot landed his rack in the garage. Bottom line misses can and do take place at all kinds of ranges. However, most of us that shoot a bit, have a pretty good idea what our capabilities are. I wouldn't bet against me at 350 yards or less. I wouldn't bet against Big Stick at twice that distance. From what these long range boys speak of I wouldn't want to be their intended target at 1000 yards. Maybe "most" hunters can't hit anything past 250 yards, but those that can shouldn't be criticized or discouraged from teaching someone else how to do it. So where is this site that these long range shooters came from anyway? AFP what's the website address?

Is it Friday yet?
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

<br>Where did this "magical" 250yd limit come from? I have a range and sight-in scopes for many folks right before deer season because they can't hold steady enough,off sand bags, to do it themselves. Most of these,should limit themselves to 50yds max! Sooo, should we all limit ourselves to 50yds?
<br>
<br>Rabid and myself are hosting the current 'Poatal Match" which is a good excuse to get out and shoot paper and see for yourself, what YOU can do. These long range guys sound to me,like they practice alot and know their limits. Do we??????????????

James
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
I hear you James. I teach hunter safety and help with sightin at our club. I agree with the not past 50 yards for some them. I picked 200-250 out of the air as a sort of an avg. distance. BTW have you ever had a scope fly off during one of those sesions? tom

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Stick, good to see you around. I figured you'd be making big vertical trees into horizontal trees. Sounds like the weather isn't playing very nice. Just out of curiousity did you have to cross that nasty rip tide in the fog today? I didn't like it much in broad daylight let alone in the fog. Glad you are home safe and sound and that your navigational hero (boss) didn't get you guys in a mess beyond getting out of. Hey this whole thread reminds me, do you know anyone that uses Snoopy tents?

Is it Friday yet?
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Sky,
<br>
<br>Actually we approach the job from the South end of that rip. We are working about 10 miles south of it and are departing from a different location,rather than from town here. So we get to ride in the rig for an hour,to hop in the boat for 45 minutes,to get to another rig,to drive a ways,then hike in to work. It is about as much fun,as it sounds like too.
<br>
<br>I sent Littlebit video from the rescue mission on "Operation Snoopy Tent",with the high speed Elk Hunters. Amazing to me,that more people don't kill themselves here.
<br>
<br>The best way to handle an all-knowing Boss,is to let him flounder in front of the whole crew. then when he is at a total loss and nearing panic,you point the direction to go.
<br>
<br>We'll have little trouble with him,until the humble wears off. I'm curious to see how long that takes(grin).................
<br>
<br>

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
NO,
<br>
<br>You totally missed that point in my post, obviously.
<br>
<br>The NOISE does in fact get there after the bullet BUT because the hunter is so close the noise HEARD is much louder at 100 yards versus, 300, 400, 500 or more. Are you with me so far? Because the noise level is so HIGH at 100 yards it does in fact frighten the animal. Are you still with me here? When a hunter shoots an animal at lets say 400 yards the NOISE level is much less because the hunter is so much further away. Are you still with me?? Therefor the animal is not frightened by the noise because of the greater distance. NOW, do you understand?
<br>
<br>This was the ONLY point.
<br>
<br>Trying to attack others won't work, It only makes you look less intelligent. There are a few NEW guys posting good, solid info here and all you SEEM to want to do is downplay what they are SHARING. Should you decide to SHARE some info of value, maybe people would listen to what you have to say. So far, in this thread that doesn't appear to be so. Sad but true.
<br>
<br>Don smile
<br>
<br>P.S. Yes, I have worked the "pits".

Groove Bullets - Get in the Groove
pak Offline
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It appears that you long range guys spend more time in the field than the average sap and that you set up your guns for a specific area. I think discipline is the operative word here and I hope that you are able to successfully teach and instill this great trait into shooters to whom you teach. By the way, are you able to judge trophies well at that distance and what kind of optics do you use for spotting? Having only hunted here in AK. I cannot imagine preparing for a hunt with those long shots in mind.pak

Last edited by pak; 02/25/02.

'Often mistaken, never in doubt'

'Ignorance more frequently begets confidence than does knowledge' Darwin
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Dang, Am I the only one here that's gotta work for a living?[Linked Image] I went to bed late Sunday and I'm a good hour behind in my reading![Linked Image]
<br>
<br>Well I definatley ruffled some feathers here. If you haven't read my post under 200 DEER, please do so, as it pretty much explains my predjudice on this matter.
<br>
<br>Ther are a few post I want to reply to, then I can hopfely bow out of this cauldron with a little bit of a** intact.[Linked Image]
<br>
<br>First of all, Blaine wrote "I find it amusing that many of the guys who bad-mouth ALL long range shooting don't think twice about swinging on a deer 50 yds away running flat-out in heavy cover. I am also tired of hearing about how "noble" these game animals are, etc. If we really thought they were that noble, we wouldn't be killing them. I also fail to see how taking a questionable shot on a deer or elk is "unethical," but taking a questionable shot on a prarrie dog, coyote, or bobcat is okay. This strikes me as very inconsistent reasoning."
<br>
<br>I am very picky about the shots I take, so I seldom miss or cripple. If I do miss I'm usualy very surprised, because I'm pretty sure of a shot before I take it. I'm not trying to say deer are "noble", but I think EVERYONE will agree that they deserve a little more respect than a paper target. If you don't feel that way, pick a new hobby. I never metioned any varmints as I don't have time to hunt them. I will say that it doesn't take near as much snot to kill one as a deer, so you can stretch the range a little more.
<br>
<br>LeeC, I almost blew a gasket reading your post til I realized you were joking. I assume you know what I mean by still hunting, some guys call it stalking. Anyway That's what gives me the most pleasure from hunting. I wouldn't compare that to shooting, which is in fact sitting at a bench.
<br>
<br>Art, do me a favor and re-read my original post. I condemned the long range hunting out of ignorance and predjudice. There was no name calling or derogitory shots taken at anyone. If what I said was taken that way, I apoligize. But do me one favor, grow a thicker skin.
<br>
<br>Now back too the topic De-Jour. I admit I'm very predjudiced here. This is new to me. I hear a**holes all the time telling me about shooting deer out to God knows where, and connecting every time. I work with some of these Bozo's and I hope they put more effort into following up a shot than they do their work. Somehow though, I doubt it. Some guy tells this kind of story, and someone who doesn't know better thinks "I can do that too". A few cretens like this can cause all kinds of grief.
<br>
<br>Now if you Fellows say you follow up each shot, and never loose one, I'll take your word for it. If you're lying, well that's on your tab, not mine. My main concern is allowing cripples to get away without a reasonable effort to recover them. I would imagine that if you were loosing them at that range, you would try to cut the range down. If not, well... like I said it's your tab.
<br>
<br>As to the money such a set up cost, well I hope you agree that I'm entitled to my own opinion. I would think that the time and money invested in such do-dads could be better spent in studying trails and setting up hunting season, but like I said, that's just my opinion. I also thinkthe money spent on human cloning could be better invested in curing cancer. But that and 50 cents will get you a cup of coffee, so......
<br>
<br>To those of you who are new here, welcome to the campfire. I hope I didn't put anybody off on this site, cause it is the best group of guys (and a few gals) you'll find. We're like a family here, and every family has a few who put their foot in their mouth now and then.
<br>
<br>Boyd. The offer still stands. If you want to come down to Bedford sometime, drop me a line. I'd love to see this long range shooting sometime, but I hope you'll forgive my opinion of doing it on deer.
<br>7mm

"Preserving the Constitution, fighting off the nibblers and chippers, even nibblers and chippers with good intentions, was once regarded by conservatives as the first duty of the citizen. It still is." � Wesley Pruden

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Think I am way ahead of you partner, been there done that probably many years before you. Are you with me? Probably killed more game than you have seen. Lived in NM many years and worked in the mountains, was a warden until going into the Air Force, know what irresponsible people can do, you sound like one of them. Got that? -- no

A hint to the wise is sufficient! Experience is the best teacher!
Page 4 of 11 1 2 3 4 5 6 10 11

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

606 members (007FJ, 1234, 11point, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10Glocks, 66 invisible), 2,388 guests, and 1,234 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,421
Posts18,470,590
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.