Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 2 1 2
V
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
V
Well you guys (most of you :-) )have me convinced. Unfortunately Kifaru says probably a month until they can even think about shipping.

So, bigwhoop or anyone else have a long universal they want to part with??

GB1

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
You need one for a hunt or something? I could loan you mine, but I don't want to sell it.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

V
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
V
Yeah I was hoping to get one for chasing spring bears around.
I appreciate the offer smokepole, but I hate borrowing things. If I can't find one soon I'll do without for te spring but have one by fall!
Thanks again for the generous offer though :-)

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Sorry, Vance, I threw it away many years ago.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
V
Campfire Greenhorn
OP Offline
Campfire Greenhorn
V
Smokepole, I've been doing a little thinking & reconsidering, & if you really don't mind I think I'll take you up on your offer.
I have a hunt coming up in 2 weeks where it would really be an asset & a good test to see if I like the syetem. I'll be more than happy to stick money in when I return it to repay your layout for shipping priority mail. I'll pm you.
Thanks!

IC B2

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
OK, Vance, let me make sure I have both parts. There's a good chance I'll be coming through there around June 21-22, maybe save you some postage.

Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by pointer
I only unclip the top strap when sitting. It's not too difficult to re-clip when starting back out...

You mean, as opposed to the immense difficulty and logistical challenges associated with taking the butt out of the cradle?
That's a bit more of a challenge for me as I'm fat enough I can't see anything below my belt... wink

J
jwb Offline
J
Vance,

I use one with my longhunter pack. Once you adjust it for your comfort, it's a beautiful thing to be walking the mountains hands free. The gun is right beside you but it does take a bit to get used to when using binos with the gun positioned here. The right hand has to negotiate the barrel because the barrel does stick up a bit. I see it a small trade off.
I'm buying the universal model to go with a day pack that is not made by Kifaru. It's great not having to carry the gun in my hands all day, saves arm fatigue and I still have the gun ready in an instant.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
i have two and two more on order with the new lt. wt. Kifaru packs.

i use to use a backpacker by Dark horse leather that put the rifle more in the same position as the Eberlestock.

had a velcro strap at the top attached to the frame, so you could still access your rifle

but I've had a bum shoulder for most of my adult life (that I finally had surgery on this year)

the gunbearer is the ticket for me, I've stumbled across two different grizzly bears and a couple of sheep (not legal but still glad to have such quick access) while hiking, all 3 times I could have hit any of them with a rock

I'll stop and take a break too, but normally I'll look for a rock to sit on, so I don't have to unazz my pack, just give my shoulders and back a break and sit to the left side so the butt of the gun hangs off the rock.

if that doesn't work, I don't mind unazzing the rifle and restoring it when time to move.

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
jwb, if taking a quick look with the binocs, I'll wrap a little finger around the barrel and use it to help steady my binocs

I use 10X so I normally sit if going to glass hard, but for just a quick glance it sure helps steady them

I'm pretty certain when we sing our anthem and mention the land of the free, the original intent didn't mean cell phones, food stamps and birth control.
IC B3

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Its been reported the upper clip/shoulder strap portion of the gunbearer setup can break or fail if one suffers a slip and falls on their rear. I haven't experienced this issue but trust the advice of those that state it can happen. I still use the lower portion of the gunbearer but switched out the upper piece for a simple piece of nylon webbing and a nylon side release buckle from REI. It releases just as fast as the original piece but is much stronger.

MtnHtr

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
that idea would seem to have merit, I've heard of the same thing happening.

I carry a backup buckle along with the hip belt buckle spare, but on my original buckle on first gunbearer never had a failure, that things gotta be 10 years old or better.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Vance_in_AK
Smokepole, I've been doing a little thinking & reconsidering, & if you really don't mind I think I'll take you up on your offer.
I have a hunt coming up in 2 weeks where it would really be an asset & a good test to see if I like the syetem. I'll be more than happy to stick money in when I return it to repay your layout for shipping priority mail. I'll pm you.
Thanks!

Vance, how was the bear hunt and how did the gunbearer work for you?

S
S
I slipped and fell right on my rear with my day pack and Universal Kifaru on. The buckle certainly didn't break- in fact, it held so tight that I was worried it jammed into my stock or scope and knocked it off zero.

I shot at and missed a deer on that same trip. Probably coincidence and that can happen anytime you're carrying a rifle, but it was awkward the way I came down and the gun was rigidly fixed to my pack and therefore to me.

I'll still use the Kifaru because I love not having to constantly adjust my sling trying to slide off my shoulder, but I will be a bit more cautious now.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by Sandhill_Hunter
I shot at and missed a deer on that same trip. Probably coincidence and that can happen anytime you're carrying a rifle...

There is a sure-fire way to see if your scope was knocked off zero.

S
S
Originally Posted by smokepole
Originally Posted by Sandhill_Hunter
I shot at and missed a deer on that same trip. Probably coincidence and that can happen anytime you're carrying a rifle...

There is a sure-fire way to see if your scope was knocked off zero.

No doubt. I'm normally obsessive about rechecking my sight-in after something like that, but I didn't this one time.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
How about since then? Just curious, as I've taken a few falls in my day and worried about knocking the scope off zero, but never had it actually happen.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
curious on the scope gig myself. I've taken some hard spills while holding or carrying a rifle and it's never happened to me personally.

I've had more than a few clients that after just traveling in a hard case we've had to re-zero their rifles.

to be honest it has always left me scratching my head how a rifle scope get knocked off zero riding in a hard case with foam lining. Sure I get how falling down 10 ft. of boulders in high country can knock a scope off, heck it can break a lot more than a scope!

I'll be the first to admit I'm no great rifle shot, just normally good enough to get done what I'm trying to accomplish.

those itty bitty groups have always escaped me

but while in the minority I've often seen guys spend big $$ to come up here to hunt that didn't seem to have much of a clue as to even go about sighting in their rifle. They left here with a much better idea of how to both sight in and use their rifle, figure it was just a bonus to them as they'd paid for me to be in the field and my job was to aid them in their quest for a successful hunt.

so How many of you guys have had your scope knocked off zero while in the field?

S
S
I'm embarrassed to say I haven't been back to the range to see yet. I did test it off my pack and hit my 100 yard target afterwards, but I'm not certain of the zero.

I'll try to report back after I confirm a problem.

S
S
Well, went to the range today. Rifle is still sighted in right where I left it. So, in spite of the tumble with the Gun Bearer on, it didn't change my point of impact.

Point is, a properly mounted scope on a tight rifle doesn't just get "knocked off" zero, in my opinion.

Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

581 members (1936M71, 1OntarioJim, 10Glocks, 1minute, 1234, 117LBS, 59 invisible), 2,497 guests, and 1,304 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,880
Posts18,518,168
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.