Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
So far, schedule is holding and I am considering plans to get to Lodi and back. I am taking notes of what I really use on once I'm at the range and I was wondering if those of you who have shot at Lodi would recommend I bring my rifle cart. As near as I can tell we only shoot at 600 and 1000 and on different days so I don't see line changes, but maybe it's still a good idea to have it.

(I can't believe June is half gone already.)

Denys

GB1

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Good luck. I don't know when it is, but glad you can make time to make it. I"d bet it'll be a blast. Literally.

I used to go all nervous and such to Perry and then after a year or two decided to use it as a party to have a blast on vacation. Shot a lot better too....

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
It's in September. The thing is getting there. I flew to Camp Perry but I don't think I want to fly to Lodi. For some reason, my F-class equipment is a lot heavier and bulkier than my Service Rifle equipment. So, I'm just starting to consider the parameters of the trip and I'm trying to figure out what I should bring and what I would regret leaving behind. I know some people are bringing loading equipment, but I'm just going to have lots of loaded ammo instead.

So, ship & fly or drive? I'm leaning towards driving.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
i know Chicago is an easy day's drive from here. Well maybe not easy..

But its workable. I"ve never looked where Lodi is, but think its close to Racine where I have good friends living. Which is another couple hours north of Chicago.

We always drove to Perry and could do it in 20-24 hours. I don't think I'd like going any other way. I'd prefer to be in charge of my gear personally. Though we have to suffer when flying to Alaska. You always run a risk flying or shipping gear.

Best of luck!

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Denys,

IIRC, the only day with line changes at all would be during the squadded practice day, as they move from 600 to 1000 then back to 1200 for the 1200yd 'pre-match' or whatever they call it (not officially part of the FCNC course of fire, and only held @ Lodi since most places don't have 1200 available). Carts etc. aren't really necessary other than the parking area can get kind of 'deep' and it may help as far as getting stuff from the vehicle to the line and back at the start and finish of the day. Most of my stuff is portable enough (i.e. air travel friendly) so its somewhat less of an issue for me.

Monte

IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Monte, thanks for the reply, it was very helpful. I hope to see you there in September.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Good Luck at Lodi...You DO know the range faces West. Nice range..great shooting early in the AM. CC is usually shot 600 first...working to 2. I`ve not shot there for some years.

Can be trying late in the day....but maybe you`ll be done by then.

It`s about a 5hr drive from here

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I don't need luck.

I need a miracle.

Thanks for the heads up about the direction.

C
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
C
Yea, and I forgot to mention that maybe you want to bring the cart...if for nothing else than the weather.It can be super nice in Sept...bluebird stuff, but then again it can rain for two weeks stright...you wanna be able to cover your stuff off the ground.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
We should get Rick to sponsor all the Campfire shooters who will be at the nationals...

Free hat maybe! grin

IC B3

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
I don't think Rick reads this forum.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I"ve never looked where Lodi is, but think its close to Racine

BTW, Lodi, home to Brux barrels, is dead center, east to west, in the middle of the state, a big hour north of the Illinois border. Racine's on the east border, by Lake Michigan. I'm only an hour SW from Lodi and may take a day to gawk if I can fit it in.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I thought Lodi was within 5-6 hour drive of Racine at one point... maybe I didn't look at the map right. Could easily be further away.

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
5-6 hours of driving from anywhere in Wisconsin will have you two states or one country over. This is not Texas we are taking about; where the first sign when you drive in from Louisiana on I-10 says in effect, "Welcome to Texas" and the second sign says "El Paso, 839 miles."

Edited to add: I guess it depends on who's driving and what you are driving. I hear people west of Brenham, TX have a difficulty going faster than 30MPH.

Last edited by FTR_Shooter; 06/22/11.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
I don't stay behind folks that drive 30.....

And you'll still be in WI 5 hours later driving north IIRC.

Anyway thats probably the miscommunications... Having friends in Racine, I looked and thought Lodi would be easy enough to get to in a half a day or less. No big deal.

I forget sometimes some states resemble some of our counties...

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I would recommend cold weather gear. We shot here once for Nationals before and it went from warm to freezer in a moment.

Mirage reading can be PIA here so make sure you bring good spotter as something about the place its hard to pick up mirage. Not like Texas or Sacramento.

I will be there and would love to meet up for a beer and dinner.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Having shot Perry many years.... and being a Texan... I never went without top notch rain gear, rain covers for our gear. Never without a water jug and sweat bands and SPF50 and shades. And never without long handles, and layers of insulated clothes and insulated gloves.

You just never know. I"ve seen it in August at Perry in the low 40s in the AM, and blowing a hell of a norther and wind chill sucked. And I've seen it in triple digits with folks passing out all over. And I've seen water 6 inches plus deep in the huts.... or cracks on the range large enough to eat 223 brass.

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Mike, you replied to Jeff but I don't think he's going to be at Lodi. If you were replying to me, I would be honored to have a beer and so on with you. We could talk about Jeff. (I can tell you stories about Jeff that will curl your toes.)

As of right now, I have decided on a transportation method, I will drive up with one of my fellow shooters at Bayou. I have reserved a hotel room in Lodi and I have 400 cases all prepped, waiting to be charged and have to bullet seated. At this moment I only have 2 more 1000 yard matches before Lodi. I may try to sneak in a 600 yard match.

I think we should try to arrange for a Campfire summit at Lodi with the others that will be competing there. As we get closer to the date, I will PM you my contact info (cell phone, email.)

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
I meant to reply to you F TR but Jeff is certainly invited if he makes it.

I should be there for the matches before thje Nationals as well. See you there.

F
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
F
Mike, I know you were replying to me. I was just yanking your chain. Jeff won't be coming; he does not know how to even spell FTR.

At this point, I will not be at the state matches before the Nationals, it looks like we will be driving up to Lodi during the weekend.

I look forward to seeing you there.

Denys

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

496 members (257 roberts, 219 Wasp, 1OntarioJim, 163bc, 12344mag, 22250rem, 49 invisible), 2,404 guests, and 1,328 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,916
Posts18,518,746
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.