Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
clyde Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
I had a general question concerning shooting a steel case in a bolt action. I read a comment a few years ago that stated it was not a good idea to shoot steel case ammo in a bolt action. I personally don't see what damage it would do. But any thoughts? Thanks!

GB1

I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
1. Why would anyone want to?

2. The steel case would expand less and thus not seal the action as well as brass.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Steel cases = military ammunition, with slightly more volume than a similar brass case. The higher volume will give slightly higher velocities, at the same pressure level. The steel is lacquer coated to resist corrosion and to help in extraction somewhat.

It can't be reloaded, and if it gets a scratch in the case, the resulting bur would most likely scratch your chamber. While not an issue to worry about in a military firearm with an over sized chamber, it could screw up your rifle pretty good.

Also, steel cases are somewhat prone to rust if improperly stored, and that could lead to more nastiness in your chamber.

The short end of the stick, though, is that it can be used in a bolt action rifle, but the ammunition will most likely not give the best accuracy, as it is manufactured on a scale of economy and reliability.

Think "Wolfe" Ammo....

clyde Offline OP
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
Thanks Uncle! I was just wondering about the issue of steel case. I may in the future buy a 223 bolt action Howa rifle off of someone local. I was actually thinking of just using brass cased ammo. Thanks for you thoughts. You did point out somethings that had never occured to me.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Steel cases won't spring back like brass cases after being fired, so extraction CAN be a problem. Not that it will necessarily, but it's a problem you don't want to buy if you're shooting somewhere away from a cleaning rod.

I've shot Wolf steel ammo in a Mini 14 and while it extracted well and was fairly accurate, it was hydroscopic and rusted the gas piston the to gas cylinder, making me have to kick the bolt open with my foot. A good lesson on why Minis should be cleaned and oiled after every use. I called Ruger and they said, "Yeah, it happens all the time here, too." A good reason to store Mini 14s with the bolt back.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

IC B2

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Originally Posted by IndyCA35
1. Why would anyone want to?

2. The steel case would expand less and thus not seal the action as well as brass.

You sure about that? What would happen if you fired a steel cased round in an ackley chamber?

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Steel is fine. The steel used for steel cases is much softer than the steel of a chamber or barrel. It won't scratch your chamber any worse than brass will. It probably doesn't bounce back as well as brass so steel case combined with some of the laquer used and a really hot rifle might cause some extraction problems, but it isn't going to damage anything.

You can actually reload those few steel cases that are boxer primed, not as many times as brass, but you can do it.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Lots of ComBloc ammo had soft iron jackets on the bullets. I know the 7.62 x 39 did, and probably the 7.62 x 54.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I shoot all kinds from several countries. It shoots fabulous, extracts perfect and most is quite accurate. It does seal the chamber completely, doesn't scratch the chamber, nor does it cause any issues whatsoever.

If a case is rusted or severely scratch, would you honestly shoot it in a nice rifle? Come on guys, be a little bit realistic. Have any of you that have shot a lot of the steel case ammo had issues personally? Some of the wolf ammo is crap, but we all know that. I don't buy wolf, but the other brands have been really good.

A lot of the ammo from Israel and the ammo marketed through "Herters" is loaded on the stiff side and is wonderfully accurate in .223, 7.62 and 9mm. Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
I
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I
What would happen if you fired a steel cased round in an ackley chamber?"

I don't know but why would anyone want to do that either?

I would think that it might e harder to fire form a a steel case to AI dimensions. Doubt that anyone sells any already made.

Don't blame me. I voted for Trump.

Democrats would burn this country to the ground, if they could rule over the ashes.
IC B3

D
djs Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I've got 3 militaty '98 Mausers and have shot a LOT of steel case 8x57mm ammunition. No problems and delivers comparable accuracy to commercial and handloaded ammo.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I shot a few through an ackley, and they formed just like any other round. leads me to believe the steel is behaving pretty similarly to brass during firing. I think many people speak on this topic without having much idea what they are talking about.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
...no way, not on the internet!!! Everyone knows everything. laugh Flinch

Flinch Outdoor Gear broadhead extractor. The best device for pulling your head out.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Originally Posted by clyde
I had a general question concerning shooting a steel case in a bolt action. I read a comment a few years ago that stated it was not a good idea to shoot steel case ammo in a bolt action. I personally don't see what damage it would do. But any thoughts? Thanks!
I don't like that stuff in any firearm..

Over the years I've had a several firearms come into the shop with 'stuck cases'.. Most of 'em are found to be steel cases when I got 'em out.. The few that were brass were mostly in those pos M742/M740 Rems where the owners rarely (if ever) cleaned the chambers..

I advise my customers against using steel-cased ammo.. YMMV..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

558 members (12344mag, 222Sako, 160user, 240NMC, 1lessdog, 17CalFan, 63 invisible), 2,301 guests, and 1,281 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,291
Posts18,486,921
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.