Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I have a question about General Eisenhower's footwear in the following picture.

The picture was taken in 1945, presumably just after war's end.......as Patton is still alive?

I'm curious if the buckle brogans Eisenhower is wearing are military issue.........or just a privilege of rank?

I've not read anything about this type of footwear.......worn by Eisenhower or any other member of the military.

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Can't say for sure about if they were issue or not, but under the circumstances, those could have been the best shoes he had with him at the time, or were the most handy.

R.

You can run, but you'll just die tired.
G
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
G
I guess my curiosity was further piqued by a shoe company which has the pictured style as "The Eisenhower".

Which might imply the General's footwear was more common knowledge than I thought?

[Linked Image]

N
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
N
Generals can and do wear whatever the [bleep] they want to.

Dong Ha Vietnam '67
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I would think as Supreme Allied Commander nobody was going to tell him what he could or couldn't wear. Was FDR going to say it?

Otto is my co-pilot.
IC B2

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Arthritis in his hands/wrists, maybe? Buckles might've been easier and less painful to secure than low quarter lace-up dress shoes.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Don't think so. He was criticized for playing golf a lot when POTUS. Dems liked to call him the "Do Nothing President". Probably spent a lot less time than Obama.

Life Members SCI & NRA. NRA Instructor & RSO. What have YOU done to support hunting & gun rights?
V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by NathanL
I would think as Supreme Allied Commander nobody was going to tell him what he could or couldn't wear. Was FDR going to say it?

Basically.

Folks then were a helluva lot more concerned with winning a war than with his "fashion sense".

RWE Offline
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by VAnimrod

Basically.

Folks then were a helluva lot more concerned with winning a war than with his "fashion sense".

Patton was a fashion plate, however.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Was Patton's ivory-handled, single action .45 military issue or a privilege of rank?

Keep your gun-hand ready and your eyes peeled.
IC B3

V
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
V
Originally Posted by Jocko_Slugshot
Was Patton's ivory-handled, single action .45 military issue or a privilege of rank?

Guess....

Considering he'd personally killed Pancho Villa's right-hand man with one of those Colts, and he was the U.S. Army's youngest ever Master of the Sword (trained with the best swordsmen in Europe before WWI), I doubt anyone wanted to try to take them away from him.

J
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
J
Originally Posted by tbear
Don't think so. He was criticized for playing golf a lot when POTUS. Dems liked to call him the "Do Nothing President". Probably spent a lot less time than Obama.

http://www.doctorzebra.com/prez/g34.htm

Boller [2a] tells this story:
One day a White House visitor noticed the President was wearing leather bandages on his left wrist. When Ike explained that he had a mild arthritic condition there, the visitor said he was glad it wasn't serious. "I should say it is serious!" exclaimed Ike indignantly. "It means that I can't play golf!"

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
General Officers can make up their own uniforms. Still today, you will still see some wearing the belt/buckle like Patton has on, in utility uniforms.

There is no way to coexist no matter how many bumper stickers there are on Subaru bumpers!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
To answer the question, to the best of my knowledge that type shoe was not GI issue.

BCR

Quando Omni Moritati
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
FDR wouldn't. Only one man might have. That was Marshal who control Europes supple of personell and materials. But the President had already set the "Europe first" policy.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The belt and buckle they wear today is the General Officer belt and buckle prescribed by regulation, or at least it was 18 years ago when I left the Army. It is a standard uniform item for that rank.

Originally Posted by Hawk_Driver
General Officers can make up their own uniforms. Still today, you will still see some wearing the belt/buckle like Patton has on, in utility uniforms.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Besides the privilege of rank, there is a difference between "GI issue" and what is authorized by regulations.

Our "GI issue" boots and dress shoes were far different than what most of us would buy for ourselves as soon as we could.

Unless you worked on the flight line where steel toe boots were mandatory, most of us wore either jump boots or jungle boots from any number of various manufacturers and styles. They had to meet regulations, but that wasn't hard to do.

Same with dress shoes. Hell, I bought patent leather shoes as soon as I could, as I rarely wore my blues and sure as hell wasn't going to shine anymore after Basic.

[Linked Image]

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
I would imagine that Eisenhower's entire uniform was purchased at Brooks Brothers in New York, Abercrombie in London, or somewhere similar. Officers have always been required to buy their own uniforms. And general officers, to this day, are really not bound by any military regulations regarding their uniforms.

Nowadays, most seem to be pretty much regulation in their dress, but in the old days generals were very individualistic in their attire.

Last edited by Cossatotjoe_redux; 06/20/11.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
FDR wasn't telling anyone anything at this point.

Harry Truman was in office.

$$$ TRUMP AT THE PUMP 2024 $$$
S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Originally Posted by nmitchell
Generals can and do wear whatever the [bleep] they want to.

Agreed! This is where The "IKE JACKET" came into play and was a issued item for Air Force personell. It's also where/what started the term "Bus Drivers" for Air Force personell.

I personally loved the summer uniform of 1505's with bermuda Shorts. WUUUUUSY!

Best wishes, Bill

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

352 members (12savage, 12344mag, 16gage, 1lessdog, 01Foreman400, 1beaver_shooter, 41 invisible), 2,531 guests, and 1,279 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,497
Posts18,490,467
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.