Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by Remchester

In comparison to this practice, the half-cock techique, employed only a minute or so before firing, doesn't seem so unreasonable - with the condition that during the last minute or so before firing, the hunter moves very slowly and with great care.

Not to mention that some hunters would disengage a safety a minute or more before firing - with bolt fully closed.

Yes a model 70 safety is safer than the half-cock approach, to differing degrees depending on the scenario,

One thing you need to realize is that using your "half cock" method you are carrying a gun that may or may not have the sears fully engaged with the locking lugs not fully rotated and seated. In that situation the odds for a negligent discharge are exponentially higher than by having it go off when the safety is moved. I asked a buddy of mine who is in research and development at one of the main gun manufacturers and his comment was that it would be thousands of negligent misfires using your scenario compared to having one with a safety being disengaged.

William Berger

"True courage is being scared to death but saddling up anyway." - John Wayne
GB1

R
OP Offline
R
Originally Posted by BobinNH

I have had guys explain they become nervous nellies when game is close,and they are afraid the safety will not come off in time so the safety is disengaged as they anticipate a shot

Sounds like buck fever! Truth be known a lot of beginners forgot to take the safety off. These shooters would be better served by the half-cock method than by the practice your describe above. But yes learning to release the safety would serve them best.

I am aware there are some rifles (Heym?)where the safety IS the cocking piece;their double rifle and some bolt actions come this way IIRC and the rifle is not cocked until the safety is engaged.....

My reading of this is that the safety automatically engages when the rifle is cocked, therefore the shooter must release the safety before the rifle can be fired. Maybe this is how the Krico 902 works. I wonder if some revolvers or other exposed-hammer firearms operate in this fashion. This would mitigate the drop-test concerns associated with having a firing pin resting on a primer. While it's a little inconvenient, such a design really is very safe.

Originally Posted by M1Tanker

thousands of negligent misfires using your scenario compared to having one with a safety being disengaged.

If rifle manufacturers know or believe that it really is that dangerous, I'm surprised they haven't moved to address (remove) the half-cock position - because I suspect the practice I describe is not that uncommon. I inspected a bunch of rifles recently, and the only one I found that doesn't have such a position is the Krico model 600.

Note that the Remington 700 "notch" is much less pronounced than the Winchester 70, and the Remington varies a little from one rifle to the next (some hold in the notch better than others while others do not hold in the notch at all).

My gunsmith tells me the underside of the cocking piece on a model 700 can be ground back to remove the notch altogether - something he does when building competition rifles. As such it would be easy enough for Remington to change the profile of the underside of the cocking piece.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

If rifle manufacturers know or believe that it really is that dangerous, I'm surprised they haven't moved to address (remove) the half-cock position - because I suspect the practice I describe is not that uncommon.

You are way off base. The reason being is: THERE IS NO SUCH THING AS A HALF COCK POSITION ON BOLT ACTIONS.

The so called half cock you are feeling is the combination of the sears engaging and the locking lugs beginning to cam into position. Your practice puts a live round in the chamber without the bolt being locked in battery and the sear surfaces not being fully engaged. When you drop or jar a gun without a fully engaged sear you exponentially increase the risk of a negligent discharge. This has zero to do with the manufacturer but simply unsafe handling practices on the part of the operator.

For the record - I have hunted with a LOT of different people over the years and never once seen, heard, or met anyone who carries like you do. If so they would have received a reaming on the spot from everyone present and the last time they would have ever hunted around me.

Maybe you should take notice that EVERYONE who has responded to your post has condemned your practice. Sometimes it is better to admit that you are wrong, correct your mistake and learn from it. Rather than pursuing a practice that is condemned from every hunter on the ground to the companies who build the rifles.

William Berger

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Wow...just wow!

Official member of "The Clan of Turd-like People"

[Linked Image]
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Anyone know why Winchester designed the Model 70 so that when the bolt handle is turned down it clicks into an intermediate position, before full closure?

To your original question. They don't click into any intermediate position. They can be made to stop at some intermediate position because of friction, but you are the one making it happen. You can do the same with a light switch, that doesn't mean that is how it is meant to function.

As far as the safety and how it operates quit trying to be a genius and listen to experience. There are only 3 positions to that safety. Each has a purpose. If you can't let one of quietly and quickly then experience is what you need.

Last edited by battue; 06/24/11.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Saving my breath....he still doesn't get it.......wow is right.

I think he's trolling...no one can be this irrational.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Saving my breath....he still doesn't get it.......wow is right.
I'm still at a loss for words - and it's best it continues re: this thread..

I think he's trolling...no one can be this irrational.
'Irrational'??

You're too kind...

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
If he is not trolling, then he makes a strong case for the European position on stringent qualification in order to acquire a hunting license.

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I use it during the final moments of stalking, when walking slowly and rifle carried carefully in both hands.

I prefer to chamber a round only minutes before taking a shot, and not to use a safety at all, because it makes a noise when released that can spook game and I don't like the practice of carrying a loaded rifle on shoulder because I worry that the safety might be bumped off.

If the trigger on my Sako 75 is pulled when the bolt is in this position, the bolt will close and uncock without firing. However I have not conducted the same test with a Winchester model 70.

Note: when I first conducted this test with my Sako 75 I used a primed case without power.

Shaking my head..........he needs some help whistle

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I use it during the final moments of stalking, when walking slowly and rifle carried carefully in both hands.

I prefer to chamber a round only minutes before taking a shot, and not to use a safety at all, because it makes a noise when released that can spook game and I don't like the practice of carrying a loaded rifle on shoulder because I worry that the safety might be bumped off.

If the trigger on my Sako 75 is pulled when the bolt is in this position, the bolt will close and uncock without firing. However I have not conducted the same test with a Winchester model 70.

Note: when I first conducted this test with my Sako 75 I used a primed case without power.

This in particular is disturbing!

Apparently a protruding firing pin resting directly on a charged and primed case is preferable to using a safety which acts directly on the FP! eek

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
IC B3

R
OP Offline
R
Take a look at this. Looks like I'm not the only person to have used the "notch" as a half cock.

http://www.fishnhunt.co.nz/forum/YaBB.cgi?num=1301045304

No I don't live in New Zealand...

Some quotes from Wikipedia:

"...some early types of repeating lever-action cartridge rifles, such as the Winchester Model 94 rifle, had a half-cock position that was intended to serve as a safety mechanism, to keep the hammer away from the firing pin while holding the rifle when a round was chambered, such as when in a blind awaiting game to appear. Although the practice is today deprecated, the half-cock notch position on such rifles was formerly used by many hunters as a safety when carrying the loaded rifle with a round chambered while hunting. The half-cock position of the hammer did not serve a purpose while loading such firearms."

and

"The mid 1990s brought a change from the long-used half-cock notch safety to a cross-bolt safety like the aforementioned Marlins. Many longtime users, however, prefer the original half-cock notch safety design over the newer cross-bolt "lawyer" safety. The last Winchester 94s to leave the New Haven factory before production ceased in 2006 had tang-mounted safeties."

While those quotes concern lever actions, the first quote sure does make the Model 70 notch smell like a half cock. It also makes me wonder what the designers of the Winchester model 70 though about the notch in their design during a time when a half cock position was still considered a legitimate fire control technique by many.

I accept that my half-cock fire control technique was either never legitimate, or has long since been deprecated as a fire control technique, but I'm left wondering. Jack O'Connor would have known...

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Remchester,
I read the link you sent then called my buddy who works in research and development for one of the major gun companies and had him read your link. He is familiar with the mentioned conversions. There is a major difference between your practice and the conversion. The rifles mentioned in the post have had a modification done that keeps the bolt fully forward but the bolt is NOT cammed closed in any way - it is simply held forward so the bolt handle can be closed easily.

And you can not compare a hammer on a lever action to a firing pin on a bolt rifle - they do not work the same in any way. The hammer has a half cock notch that is designed with the sole purpose to keep the hammer off the firing pin and to also serve as a safety.

What you are failing to grasp is that a bolt action in no way has any type of half cock. What you are thinking of as half cock is simply the engaging of the sears and camming of the locking lugs.

Even your posting you listed condemns the half closed bolt practice - read reply #19. And this from a guy who uses the half cock conversion.

As for the guy with the bolt half closed, talking in the clearing. What an idiot

You are right about Jack Connor knowing - he would have immediately kicked you out of camp for your practice.

Last edited by M1Tanker; 06/26/11.

William Berger

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

While those quotes concern lever actions, the first quote sure does make the Model 70 notch smell like a half cock. It also makes me wonder what the designers of the Winchester model 70 though about the notch in their design during a time when a half cock position was still considered a legitimate fire control technique by many.

Jack O'Connor would have known...

Give Winchester a call and then you will know also.

R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
M1, you have to understand you're trying to make a cement block understand quantum physics..

Ain't gonna happen..

Ex- USN (SS) '66-'69
Pro-Constitution.
LET'S GO BRANDON!!!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
He's a troll.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
"because it makes a noise when released that can spook game "

BTDT biggest reason why I got rid of mine spooked to much game with that safety. As soon as I would flip it off they would look right at me . Takes 2 fingers to do it quietly, then you have to much hand movement. Nothing wrong with them at all I just didn't like them for that reason.

I Kill Things......deal with it..
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Ruger #1 would solve his problems..

B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by wildone
"because it makes a noise when released that can spook game "

BTDT biggest reason why I got rid of mine spooked to much game with that safety. As soon as I would flip it off they would look right at me . Takes 2 fingers to do it quietly, then you have to much hand movement. Nothing wrong with them at all I just didn't like them for that reason.

Bull shidt....

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Still don't like the ergos of the M70 safety as much as I like ergos of the three position tang safety of the lowly Savage 110 but I'm trying to get used to it.

As to the sound it makes, that is inconsequential to me because a very loud noise is very near at hand when the safety goes off.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
That's bull [bleep] +P ! ! !

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

557 members (12344mag, 007FJ, 1941USMC, 10ring1, 10gaugeman, 1badf350, 46 invisible), 1,745 guests, and 1,247 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,000
Posts18,520,403
Members74,020
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.