Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Gary O Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
I have an excellent SKB double rifle case with 4 locking latches. I have heard that to fly with my rifles to RSA on Delta that I will need to lock that case with padlocks. There is no provision on that case for the use of padlocks. Will I need to install padlock hasps or will the factory locking latches sufice? Thanks...

Gary

Never underestimate the likelihood that the Republicans will cave...

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
When I was in the gun office at OR Tambo, there were about 20 cases on the counter.
Several were the ones with the locking latches, that take a siutcase type key.
Appeearently they worked fine.
I would want more security but that's me.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Tambo is not your worry. Delta/TSA where you check in, here in the states, is your worry. Contact Delta, and ask them.

maddog

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Gary O
I have an excellent SKB double rifle case with 4 locking latches. I have heard that to fly with my rifles to RSA on Delta that I will need to lock that case with padlocks. There is no provision on that case for the use of padlocks. Will I need to install padlock hasps or will the factory locking latches sufice? Thanks...

I am pretty sure there is no legal requirement..

However, if you are worried that is a requirment (possibly a new one) by Delta, then your best to check with Delta direct and get any confirmation in writting to take with you..

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Wasn't suggesting Tambo was a problem--all those cases came on the Delta flight from Atlanta.

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
From Delta's web site:

Shooting equipment

Shooting equipment is accepted as checked baggage only. It must fit within the very specific criteria that we outline below.

Declare to the Delta representative that you are checking a firearm.
Declare the existence of a firearm to security personnel if a security checkpoint is prior to the Delta counter.
All firearms must be declared by the passenger to a Delta representative at the main ticket counter .
Present firearm(s) unloaded and sign a "Firearms Unloaded" declaration.
Firearms must be packed in a locked manufacturer's hard�sided container specifically designed for the firearm, a locked hard�sided gun case, or a locked hard�sided piece of luggage. Handguns may be packed in a locked hard�sided gun case, and then packed inside an unlocked soft�sided piece of luggage. However, a Conditional Acceptance Tag must be used in this case.
Maintain entry permits in your possession for the country or countries of destination or transit.
Ensure small arms ammunition is packed in the manufacturer's original package or securely packed in fiber, wood, plastic or metal boxes and provide separation for cartridges.

If you need to travel with a weapon as checked baggage, you are responsible for knowledge of and compliance with all Federal, State, or Local laws regarding the possession and transportation of firearms. For more information about this regulation you can visit the TSA site.

If you are transporting a firearm to the United Kingdom as checked baggage, a permit from the United Kingdom is specifically required. You must contact the United Kingdom for more information about securing this permit.

Ammunition in excess of 11 lbs. per passenger or that contains potential projectiles is not allowed.

The Savage 99 Pocket Reference”.
All models and variations of 1895’s, 1899’s and 99’s covered.
Also dates, checkering, engraving.. Find at www.savagelevers.com
P
P
The four locks on the SKB case are fine.

The guys I prairie dog shoot with has the same cases and have had no problems.

I like to run a chain through the handles and put a pad lock on mine but it is not required.

You can also put a pistol in a case and pack it in your regular suit case. You still have to declare it and go through TSA of course. Then lock the pistol case and suit case and you done!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

120 members (44mc, 7887mm08, 2500HD, 35, 16 invisible), 1,515 guests, and 1,027 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,951
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.