Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
#5358477 06/22/11
M
Mdc Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Hi all. I just picked up a savage 99 in 300 savage. It was a 'gunsmiths special' with mismatched wood, drilled and tapped for scope and also refinished at some point in its life. The serial number dates it to 1928.
I have a question concerning the wood. The forend is plain walnut but it's in a style I would call benchrest or varmint. The bottom is almost 3 1/2" across. The buttstock is the prettiest high grade fancy walnut I've ever seen outside of pictures. It's got a california style high rollover comb on it. Any ideas where either of these pieces might have come from? I've never seen anything like them on a lever gun.
Thanks,
Mike [Linked Image] [Linked Image]

GB1

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
Interesting wood...nice grain. Not sure the high comb would suit my needs on a 99, but you can't tell 'til you shoot it! Keep us posted on how it works for you, and welcome to the forum! John

Endure Fortis
Marte Suo Tutus
T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
Gunstocksinc.com has replacement stocks in several grades of wood.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
That would be a beauty of a stock if you ground off that god awful tumor thats on it !!!!!! a high comb like that is just plain ugly on anything,and worse on a savage 99 !!!!! Don

T
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
T
The site has about any style of butt and forend that the 99 had including the "perch belly". They say 90% inletted but a lot of fitting is required for that 10%.

IC B2

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Originally Posted by Mdc
Any ideas where either of these pieces might have come from?

No, but I wish they would go back! grin

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
M
Mdc Offline OP
OP Offline
M
Both pieces are going on ebay this weekend. The comb is just about perfect height for scope use but personally I rank scopes on a lever gun right up there with light beer. This was a classic 'opportunity' purchase. Wasn't looking for it, but there it was. I plan on putting decent wood and a peep sight on it.
Mike

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
look for the flashing flag by my stuff
norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
"god awful tumor"

Well, just spit my coffee on my keyboard smile

"I hunt not to kill, but rather to have not played golf.."
-Orlando "Squawfish" de Gasket
Chainsaw Artist/Philosopher
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Flintnocker
"god awful tumor"

Well, just spit my coffee on my keyboard smile

I also found that an apt discription ,,
look at your PM Flintnocker

norm

There is not enough darkness in all the world to put out the light of even one small candle----Robert Alden .
If it wern't entertaining, I wouldn't keep coming back.------the BigSky

IC B3

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
Norm, Nothing a saw and a rasp couldn't take care of,then it would look really nice, its a nice piece of wood. grin Don

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Originally Posted by Mdc
Both pieces are going on ebay this weekend. The comb is just about perfect height for scope use but personally I rank scopes on a lever gun right up there with light beer. This was a classic 'opportunity' purchase. Wasn't looking for it, but there it was. I plan on putting decent wood and a peep sight on it.
Mike
I would advise you to sell the whole thing. Re wooding is more than you think it is. What you have there is a gunsmiths special, that is all it will ever be. It can be costly and time consuming or you can move on, spend your efforts where they will bear fruit. thank me later.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by lauren
I would advise you to sell the whole thing. Re wooding is more than you think it is. What you have there is a gunsmiths special, that is all it will ever be. It can be costly and time consuming or you can move on, spend your efforts where they will bear fruit. thank me later.

Well said.

Wouldn't add a thing

"You cannot invade mainland America. There would be a rifle behind every blade of grass"
~Admiral Yamamoto~

When the people fear their government, there is tyranny; when the government fears the people, there is liberty. ~Thomas Jefferson~
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I don't think removing that tumor will help. Look at the comb line behind it, and carry that line forward. Looks to me like it's altogether the wrong angle to end up with a normal comb after the cheek piece is gone. Appears to be a very fancy grade of firewood (or knife scales or pistol grips).

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty

Moderated by  Rick99, RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

221 members (1OntarioJim, 22kHornet, 06hunter59, 320090T, 257 roberts, 3dtestify, 21 invisible), 1,179 guests, and 963 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,093
Posts18,522,161
Members74,026
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.