-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just bought a CZ 550 American with a Kevlar stock and it's the most perfect rifle I have ever owned. I also have many Ruger M77 that work just fine. The CZ is a little rough but if I could only own one the CZ would be it. First goup was 3/4 inch at 100 yards. Workmanship is flawless and it came with rings. The trigger pull is excellent out of the box.

"If you could kick the person in the pants responsible for most of your trouble, you wouldn't sit for a month." -Theodore Roosevelt
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
PatrickJames - I have the same exact CZ on order w/ETA mid-September. Hope my experience matches yours. Going to mount a 3X9 Leupold with German #4 to complement my Ruger "African". Homesteader.

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Originally Posted by fatjack34
Good Luck finding a Ruger 9.3x62!

No kidding. I have an FFL and just checked 4 sources; Jerrys, RSR, Sports South and Buds and no one has one.

Here is my suggestion.

Obtain a Pre 64 M70 action (1950ish), a 24", #3 Pacnor barrel, a D'Arcy Echols Legend stock and send it all to Redneck, here on the 24HCF. Let him chamber it and do the metal work and initial inletting. Then have Lee (Redneck) send it off to Charley Santoni of http://riflestockpainting.com/paint.html and let him finish the inletting, bed it, paint the stock and coat the metal with Midnight Purple Cerakote (looks more like a blue than a matte Cerakote). Send Charley some bases/rings and a scope of your choosing so he can Cerakote the rings/bases and put it all together.

The final product.

[Linked Image]

For bigger and better detail, click below.

http://riflestockpainting.com/images/AG9362.jpg

[Linked Image]

Then, if you want to reach out, have Leupold (VX3 1.75-6) add their CDS elevation turret (500', 5500' and 10,500') and you're covered for world wide hunting out to about 500-600 yds when using the 250 Accubond running 2600 fps with 60 gr of Varget. grin

[Linked Image]

Alan

Last edited by GSSP; 08/07/11.
F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
GSSP...I must say, that is a helluva rifle set up! I just am not a fan of PLASTIQUE! I am a wood guy.

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
GSSP...I must say, that is a helluva rifle set up! I just am not a fan of PLASTIQUE! I am a wood guy.

Me too! grin
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Tried posting this earlier but my Photobucket was froze. Cooper 57M 22LR Custom Classic with upgraded French walnut.

[Linked Image]

The 9.3x62 was purpose built for the Alaskan bush thus I felt it needed to be as carefree as possible.

Alan

Last edited by GSSP; 08/07/11.
IC B2

F
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
F
Originally Posted by GSSP

Me too! grin
[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

The 9.3x62 was purpose built for the Alaskan bush thus I felt it needed to be as carefree as possible.

Alan

Now that is what I am talking about!

Kindness invites abuse
du ma nhieu
S
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
S
One thing that is often overlooked with the 9.3X62 is how easy it is to get one by simply rebarreling about any 30-06.
I want to make one for myself in the coming year, and I will build the whole rifle from a GEW length M98 Mauser. But I also have 3 friends that want 9.3s and all have said they will just have me swap out their existing barrels on their 2 30-06s and one 270. Fast, easy and fairly inexpensive to do.

I am now "poking" Green Mountain Barrel Co. They told me that if they got a call for 100 of them they would tool up and make them.
So it's probably worth your time to make a phone call to them and tell them you are interested if you want one.

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I did rebarrel a sako long action to 9.3x62.

Out of the two you mention I'd pick the ruger, I had a CZ... a tad too heavy, and cumbersome.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I think I'd try the CZ. But I'd handle both first. The Ruger 416 Safari stock fits me well, but the 77 7mm RM did not. After saying that I don't have a scope in the Safari. The 77, I do. I think the Rugers stock looks great but is designed for open sights. I restocked the 77 and all is well now. The 77 with the new stock allows my eyes to line up perfectly. Before the comb would be away from my face if I were looking thru the scope. I would rather shoot my 416 Rigby Ruger with open sights than my 77 with a scope, that is until I restocked the 77. That Ruger stock was brutal to me when using the scope.

Secondly, I believe the CZ has more surface on the extractor, that is more contact on the head of the brass.

Thirdly, the CZ would be easier to glass bed, I think.

Finally, I'm not a fan of the red pad. I prefer a little cushion. But arthritis and bersitus are two problems for me. Maybe you'll never have these issues.

I prefer classic.
Semper Fi
I used to run with the hare. Now I'm envious of the tortoise and I do my own stunts but rarely intentionally
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Originally Posted by szihn
One thing that is often overlooked with the 9.3X62 is how easy it is to get one by simply rebarreling about any 30-06.
I want to make one for myself in the coming year, and I will build the whole rifle from a GEW length M98 Mauser. But I also have 3 friends that want 9.3s and all have said they will just have me swap out their existing barrels on their 2 30-06s and one 270. Fast, easy and fairly inexpensive to do.

I am now "poking" Green Mountain Barrel Co. They told me that if they got a call for 100 of them they would tool up and make them.
So it's probably worth your time to make a phone call to them and tell them you are interested if you want one.

Or just send your '06 to JES Reboring, provided your existing barrel is sufficient O.D., 225 bucks and two weeks and you'll be shooting your new 9.3x62.

Trump Won!
IC B3

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
By far the easiest solution of all, and you not only end up with an excellent cut-rifled bore but a barrel that still fits the forend.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Sure enough MD, especially if the barrel already has a really nice set of sights and barrel band sling swivel. wink

Trump Won!
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I mirrored the length of the CZ on my build - 23 inches, or 23.5.

She cloverleafs with Barnes TTSX.

Last edited by Spotshooter; 12/29/16.
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
I held a reworked CZ by that cat out West, IIRC, American Hunting Rifles, good God that thing was sweet!

It would have left with me were it for sale, and I already have a Custom Heym Mauser in 9.3x62.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by szihn

Off topic, but the easiest way to end up with a 9.3x62mm when a 30-06 is involved is by sending it to JES. They will re-bore your 30-06 to 9.3x62mm lickity fu ckin split. The cost is a hellofalot less than re-barreling too. However, you are a newbie and pretty late to this game. Or so it seems... wink. Since this is an old thread, I've probably already voted, but if I haven't I'll vote CZ for accuracy, and Ruger m77 for simplicity. I prefer the safety and trigger on the Ruger over the CZ, but the CZ is going to kick the Rugers azz when it comes to consistent accuracy. My last CZ550 was a 9.3x62mm and I sent it packing because around here, the mighty 30-06 loaded with 200gr. partitions will do anything the 9.3 will do... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Ah - an old post coming back to life! I bought a CZ 550 Lux 9.3x62 around 12 years ago, and then a Ruger African 9.3x62 when they came out. I like them both and they both shoot great. I do tend to hunt with the CZ more, I suppose because it's about 1/2 lb lighter (at least that's the only reason I can think of). The Ruger seems more comfortable to shoot off the bench, likely due to stock shape.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
Originally Posted by gunner500
I held a reworked CZ by that cat out West, IIRC, American Hunting Rifles, good God that thing was sweet!

It would have left with me were it for sale, and I already have a Custom Heym Mauser in 9.3x62.

I've been tempted by their makeovers - they are sweet!

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
...and some of the Rugers had nice lumber (main reason I bought the Ruger when I already had the CZ).

[Linked Image]
[Linked Image]

G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Nice looking Ruger there Mr. Gray.

Trump Won!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Jgray: That sure is a nice Ruger. How much does it weigh? I'm surprised it weighs more than your CZ. My CZ550 American was a tank. The things I didn't really like about it, was the weight and the balance wasn't quite right. I also don't like the safety lever. Nevertheless, it was a real shooter...

[Linked Image]

I could carry (what is now Gunners 375H&H) my 375H&H all day long more easily because it was balanced better and felt better in the hands. Even though it was over a pound heavier:
[Linked Image]

Sometimes (for me) weight of the rifle is not the deciding factor..... wink

Originally Posted by raybass
I try to stick with the basics, they do so well. Nothing fancy mind you, just plain jane will get it done with style.
Originally Posted by Pharmseller
You want to see an animal drop right now? Shoot him in the ear hole.

BSA MAGA
Page 4 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

214 members (12344mag, 160user, 10Glocks, 2500HD, 1eyedmule, 2UP, 17 invisible), 1,672 guests, and 1,010 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,800
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.