Print Thread
Hop To
P
Pat85 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Not only he has to deal with melanoma, this poor guy tested positive for lymes.

[Linked Image]

Going to start treating this week, for the next month. It was only a matter of time before some one got it. The ticks are all over this year. I pull one off me almost every day. None dug in me yet this year.

GB1

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
Do you use Repel-X or Wipe-X?

I believe they work on ticks.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
P
Pat85 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
How does that stuff hold up when they are all sweaty?

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
What part of the country are you in? I got back from a MN a couple weeks ago and theticks were everywhere.

Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
I use it for about three days straight and then every few days thereafter. That seems to work against mosquitoes. Van't say about ticks - we don't have them here.

If you take the time it takes, it takes less time.
--Pat Parelli

American by birth; Alaskan by choice.
--ironbender
IC B2

P
Pat85 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I'am from the eastern side of Pa. They been bad for a few tears now. Going to get about six of those guenia chickens, people I know who have them don't have tick problems.

C
C
Pat I'm in Eastern Pa also(near Pottsville)
My wifes horse got lymes 2 years ago. We did everything exactly like our vet told us and with the exception of a few preventive changes to his diet he is OK I don't think he could handle hard core gaming anymore but the wife isn't into that anyway.
He gets a joint supplement, very little grain, easy on lush grass, vet also says a little skinny is better than a little heavy after lyme's and also our farrier keeps his feet in good shape

P
Pat85 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
I started him on Doxycycline, 100 pills a day for 30 days. The vet also vaccinated the three with a dog vaccine, the other two tested negative for lymes.I don't mind spending the money to take care of this guy. He is 16 now, owned him for nine years and always took care of me and who ever was on his back.

C
C
Pat
What I thought was interesting was when our horse got lymes 1 of our dogs test positive also. 2 diffenrt vets and the horse care was 1/4 the cost of the dog care. If your horse wont take the pills ourr vet told us to mix them in applesauce.
Sounds like you will give him whats needed and he will be fine.
Some of the people where we board our horses act like lymes is the end of the world but we followed all the vet directions and he is fine.

Good Luck

P
Pat85 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Grind the pills to power, mix in applesauce, load in a syringe and shove it in his mouth. Really no big deal, just can't miss a dose for the next 25 days. Talked to several other people, and they treated their horses for lymes so its not uncommon in our area.

IC B3

P
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
P
Pat85,

Doxy has a side effect of making people or animals sun sensitive. If your horse has a lot of exposed pink skin on his face and nose you may need to put sunblock on it or it will blister bad. Good luck with his treatment!

P
Pat85 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
He is a grey horse and already has melonoma. I noticed he likes to keep under cover during the afternoon. Thanks for that info, make it a point to keep out of the sun as much as possible when I take him for a ride.

P
Pat85 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
15 days on the doxy, I can tell he is feeling better. Instead of lumbering from the pasture at feeding time, now he runs down with the others. Another 1500 pills and the treatment is completed. Just hope the lymes is out of his system when done.

K
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
K
What are the symptoms of Lyme in a horse? I have three horses here in SC, and lymes is everywhere. Is there a vaccanation?

Thanks in advance

keith

P
Pat85 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by keith
What are the symptoms of Lyme in a horse? I have three horses here in SC, and lymes is everywhere. Is there a vaccanation?

Thanks in advance

keith

Sore joints, tired. We found it in a lymes test when they had their annual shots. Before he started on the pills, the other two would come running out of the field at feeding time while he would just lumber down. He also wasn't stepping off right, he is getting better with that. My vet vaccinates with a dog vaccine, claims lymes cases are way down with his clients horses that are vaccinated with it.

A
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
A
Originally Posted by ironbender

Pat85,

We use Repel-X on our horses and it works great for ticks and flies. We apply it when they are dry, so it sticks better. In times when the ticks are real bad, I will back-brush the coat as I spray to make sure it penetrates.

It lasts for about a week, even though the label says 10-14 days.

Best wishes for your horse!

Ed

"Not in an open forum, where truth has less value than opinions, where all opinions are equally welcome regardless of their origins, rationale, inanity, or truth, where opinions are neither of equal value nor decisive." Ken Howell

P
Pat85 Online Content OP
Campfire Outfitter
OP Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
P
Originally Posted by APDDSN0864
Originally Posted by ironbender

Pat85,

We use Repel-X on our horses and it works great for ticks and flies. We apply it when they are dry, so it sticks better. In times when the ticks are real bad, I will back-brush the coat as I spray to make sure it penetrates.

It lasts for about a week, even though the label says 10-14 days.

Best wishes for your horse!

Ed

I bought permethrin.10 at tractor supply, mixed per instructions and spray their legs heavy before each ride. Rode the same tick infested trails and so far found only one tick on my brown mare and it was dead. I spray once a week when out in pasture. These ticks are a real pain in the butt and can cost money to treat the horses. Really need to get a handle on them and take the proper percautions from now on.

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

325 members (1lesfox, 257 mag, 160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 270wsmnutt, 31 invisible), 2,024 guests, and 1,085 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,451
Posts18,528,894
Members74,033
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.