Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 693 of 1,842 1 2 691 692 693 694 695 1841 1842
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
MCT3,great looking camp!I'll bet the hunting is good.

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
GB1

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Very nice setup MCT3.

TJAY,oks like you had another successful trip.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
Thanks guys and ditto to all the great camps shared on this thread.

"Good judgment comes from experience but unfortunately, experience is often derived from a series of bad judgments"
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
I put on the serious face today for a moment to reflect on the life and ways of a man. A great man that unknowingly became the bonding source that drew a rag tag crew together in Minnesota's north woods. A broad range of ages spanning multiple generations. This crew came together with one thing in common. A great loss, pain, a void in our hearts.

It's all still there, the pain and the void. But we've leaned on each other for 4 years now and we will continue.

4 years ago we huddled clumsily together looking for a direction that could help carry us forward from a great loss. We've all fought our own battles internally, privately. But we have formed a unit in which we work together to find good times, adventure, fun etc.

We built a shack in the woods, it started with that. A deer camp. But it became so much more than a deer camp. It became a hub, a place to get together. Construction, maintenance, ATV rides, snowmobiling, berry picking, fall colors and small game hunting, deer stand work, trails, game cam experiments...

And that's just the stuff we did at the shack in the woods called Camp Chickenbuck.

As a group away from the shack we've ice fished, sturgeon fished, tournament fished. We've hunted elk in Colorado, we've explored several different areas within the boundary waters canoe area. These things and many more.

We're strong, we're living and doing new things, fun things. We laugh, we think, we plan, we do. We do things, we�re out there living life.

I'm proud of everybody, you all know who you are because your hearts are heavy on this day. If you are looking here for something on this day, I'm here and I'm looking too. I'm out here for you though, and I will be for as long as my life permits.

For the parents that lost a son, children that lost a father, wife that lost a husband, sister, cousins, friends.. I want to say nice work everybody. I'm proud of our accomplishments over the past 4 years and I know Waylon is too.

It's important to remember, it's natural to hurt, but it's also important to keep moving.

So remember the man with his work ethic, a provider with a vision. A father with patience and affection. An outdoorsman with bear hunting, deer, waterfowl, archery, fishing and many more interests. A friend that would help you shingle a roof, move to a new house, fix a car or whatever you needed. A proud man that didn't take any handouts, hard working and patriotic.
Full of humor and love for life, he had a great big smile and a great big laugh. And he used both quite regularly.

Hoist a drink, say a prayer, plant a flower, do whatever you like but don�t forget to give yourself a pat on the back too.

Move forward and incorporate his strengths into your life. He had many strengths so it really isn�t too difficult to choose some. (one that I choose is showing affection and having patience with children. Waylon was a blackbelt ninja master in this area)

Here�s to the life of Waylon, lost too soon but not lost on us and certainly not lost in us.

Now I�ll take the serious face off as he wouldn�t care too much for it.

There�s a long weekend coming up and an open invite for some cabin time that could include an ATV ride, deer stand inspection/work, relaxing, bonfire� Some world class panfishing at a nearby state park lake if we so choose. Many options I can think of and I'm open to any other plans as well.

I�m winging it, open to ideas and suggestions, just plain open I guess.

Dave

Something clever here.

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Originally Posted by northern_dave
I put on the serious face today for a moment to reflect on the life and ways of a man. A great man that unknowingly became the bonding source that drew a rag tag crew together in Minnesota's north woods. A broad range of ages spanning multiple generations. This crew came together with one thing in common. A great loss, pain, a void in our hearts.

It's all still there, the pain and the void. But we've leaned on each other for 4 years now and we will continue.

4 years ago we huddled clumsily together looking for a direction that could help carry us forward from a great loss. We've all fought our own battles internally, privately. But we have formed a unit in which we work together to find good times, adventure, fun etc.

We built a shack in the woods, it started with that. A deer camp. But it became so much more than a deer camp. It became a hub, a place to get together. Construction, maintenance, ATV rides, snowmobiling, berry picking, fall colors and small game hunting, deer stand work, trails, game cam experiments...

And that's just the stuff we did at the shack in the woods called Camp Chickenbuck.

As a group away from the shack we've ice fished, sturgeon fished, tournament fished. We've hunted elk in Colorado, we've explored several different areas within the boundary waters canoe area. These things and many more.

We're strong, we're living and doing new things, fun things. We laugh, we think, we plan, we do. We do things, we�re out there living life.

I'm proud of everybody, you all know who you are because your hearts are heavy on this day. If you are looking here for something on this day, I'm here and I'm looking too. I'm out here for you though, and I will be for as long as my life permits.

For the parents that lost a son, children that lost a father, wife that lost a husband, sister, cousins, friends.. I want to say nice work everybody. I'm proud of our accomplishments over the past 4 years and I know Waylon is too.

It's important to remember, it's natural to hurt, but it's also important to keep moving.

So remember the man with his work ethic, a provider with a vision. A father with patience and affection. An outdoorsman with bear hunting, deer, waterfowl, archery, fishing and many more interests. A friend that would help you shingle a roof, move to a new house, fix a car or whatever you needed. A proud man that didn't take any handouts, hard working and patriotic.
Full of humor and love for life, he had a great big smile and a great big laugh. And he used both quite regularly.

Hoist a drink, say a prayer, plant a flower, do whatever you like but don�t forget to give yourself a pat on the back too.

Move forward and incorporate his strengths into your life. He had many strengths so it really isn�t too difficult to choose some. (one that I choose is showing affection and having patience with children. Waylon was a blackbelt ninja master in this area)

Here�s to the life of Waylon, lost too soon but not lost on us and certainly not lost in us.

Now I�ll take the serious face off as he wouldn�t care too much for it.

There�s a long weekend coming up and an open invite for some cabin time that could include an ATV ride, deer stand inspection/work, relaxing, bonfire� Some world class panfishing at a nearby state park lake if we so choose. Many options I can think of and I'm open to any other plans as well.

I�m winging it, open to ideas and suggestions, just plain open I guess.

Dave

Well said my friend. I read this with a heavy heart today. Thank you for being "the guy" to pull it all together Dave. You truly are an amazing person. One Waylon would be very proud of.

I happen to be coming up your way on saturday for a baptism. I think I'll throw the wheeler and a fishin pole in the back of the truck. You know....just in case I find somewhere to put them to use... whistle

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

IC B2

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Thanks bud, shoot me a txt and we'll figure it out. grin

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Nicely said Dave. You do a great job remembering him. I have thoroughly enjoyed the tiny role I play here!

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Your role is appreciated, the humor, the input and the biggest thing I can think of is sharing the story of Cole and the hope that the story installs in us all. I know I'm not the only one that loves hearing updates on Cole.

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Wahl den, how about anudder Cole update: I havent seen him in a week. Oh, you want more than that? grin

I know he has a big scan coming up in July. So we will be praying for that.

I know he was in a basketball camp last week (although he is a fanatic for hockey, so I cant see the pumpkin pushing lasting long) and I am sure I will see him over the 4th. Hard to believe it will be 2 years ago in August this whole thing started.

What you do today is important, you are trading a day in the rest of your life for it.
T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
Thank you Dave and all for sharing this story. Your unselfish actions have been an insperation for all of us. You have given us more than you can know and we can only hope to pass it on.

IC B3

R
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
R
Prayers sent for good results B man.

The deer hunter does not notice the mountains

"I fear all we have done is to awaken a sleeping giant and fill him with a terrible resolve" - Isoroku Yamamoto

There sure are a lot of America haters that want to live here...

G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Dave, I'm sure that Waylon as been looking over your shoulder these past four years and helped you chose the path you've taken.

Here's to you Waylon.

Keep us posted about Cole BM.

Contractor finished installing the windows today. Still needs to foam and trim them out. They'll start siding on Wednesday.

What doesn't kill you makes you stronger. Except for bears. Bears kill you.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
:-)

Wood is Good.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
:-)

Something clever here.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
The true measure of a man is how he is remembered by those he touched along the way.
Well put Dave.I know how you feel.I have walked that path.
I treasure what I have found here.Chickenbuck forever!

Stan in SC

The more I listen,the more I hear....and vice versa.

45/70,it's almost a religion.

If you have to take a second shot then you probably shouldn't have taken the first shot.
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
We went out to camp last night and did some mowing. Wow is it wet out there!

It's just wet everywhere though, county road ditches are full, fields are wet in farm country, rivers are high, haven't seen things this wet mid summer for a long time.

Weezy was down in the Detroit lakes area yesterday so I called L&M Fleet and paid for an electric trolling motor over the phone and had her pick it up for me.

I have a 14' lund fishing boat with a 15 horse motor on it, neat little boat that I bought from my dad last year. Up close to deer camp we have a small state park lake that doesn't allow gas engines. But it's a reall pretty little lake full of panfish and bass, northerns etc. So we are planning on trying some fishing with the little boat and the new elect trolling motor later today.

That is if the state doesn't shut down over the budget issues.

In that case state parks will close at 4:30 today.

Something clever here.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Shhhhh...... That's spose to be a secret lake.

Do not feed the bear!

White Bear sometimes treads on thin ice...
N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
oops, well I didn't give coordinants.

grin

Something clever here.

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
ND,
your lake comment got me thinking....I only have a very general idea of where Chickenbuck is and I bet others dont either. Knowing Minnesota, I know within a hundred miles of where it is probably. What would you think about posting a map of Minnesota with a big star or something on the approximate location? Not detailed enough that anyone could drive there, but to give Stan and some of the others a look at where all of this takes place? Just a thought.

N
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
N
Sure.

[Linked Image]

grin

Something clever here.

Page 693 of 1,842 1 2 691 692 693 694 695 1841 1842

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

81 members (007FJ, 35, 444Matt, 7mm_Loco, 6mmCreedmoor, 1_deuce, 11 invisible), 1,456 guests, and 820 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,370
Posts18,488,306
Members73,970
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.