Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
I just received my CO cow tag in the mail. I remember buying a CO Habitat stamp also when I applied for the cow tag. Is the habitat stamp a separate (physical) tag or is it implicit that you purchased the required habitat tag if you hold a drawn tag?

thanks,

"...buzzards gota eat same as worms" Josey Wales
NRA lifer
Hunting is Conservation
RMEF Member
GB1

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

claybreaker:

There is no separate habitat stamp in Colorado. You should see a capital H on your license. That indicates that you have met your habitat stamp requirement.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
I see that they went to a one stamp a year for $10 and not the first two tags for $5 each. Though I haven't looked at the price since the first year they came out with the habitat stamp. I just went ahead and purchased the lifetime stamp for $200, looks like it was a wise investment since they went up to $300 for the lifetime. I wonder how long it will be until they raise the price on the yearly habitat stamp.

T
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
T
There is a capital H on mine! Would have been nice if they had explained that so we wouldn't all wonder!

Venor ergo sum
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
I thought mine last year listed the habitat stamp separately. I had the same question thus year. Got the H so all is well. Except I still don't know where to apply for deer with the leftover draw letter....

"A government that robs Peter to pay Paul can always depend on the support of Paul."
IC B2

F
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
F
LOL... wish they would stick with one way... I bought my habitat stamp first and have a seperate stamp in hand.. send to me a couple months ago... My elk license does not have the "H" on it, but i have another stamp.. Thanks know now what to look for in the future...so many stamps so little time ...

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Just another revenue stream for the DOW.Once again the hunters are shouldering all the cost. Nonhunters don't buy them.Same thing with the Search and Rescue feee. A hunter pays it every tinme they buy a tag, so I have to buy 6 a year.The nonhuinter usually does not buy any.Figures show a paultry number of hikers/nonhunters buy them and yet they are never charged for the seach and rescue if they don't have one.
If caught by a DOW officer on land that requires a Habitat stamp,they just ask you to leave,no citation.

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Seems like the search and rescue fee at a minimum, would be required by ANY user of the public lands.... but don't try to apply common sense.

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
C
Thanks for the replies,...mine has the "H".

Dear CO DOW,
I little extra ink would have help me and others.

smile

"...buzzards gota eat same as worms" Josey Wales
NRA lifer
Hunting is Conservation
RMEF Member
C
C
Just as a quick side bar....The Colorado Division of Wildlife is entirely funding through the purchase of tags, stamps, licenses, gear, etc. They have no line item on the State general fund. Seems to me, it's worth the investment to keep DOW afloat.

Also, the search and rescue fee goes into a fund that is used by search and rescue organizations for funding. Generally, there is no fee for a search and rescue. Each county sheriff has a statutory obligation to provide search and rescue in Colorado. Most of the county sheriffs use all volunteer groups, who purchase thier own equipment and receive very little funding from the counties. They can apply for funding to the state search and rescue board for money, and that comes from the S&R surcharge.

- Randy

IC B3

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Colorado Oakie.The problem is that a lot of those funds go towards nonhunting expenditures which non hunters do not contribute to.They therefore get a free ride on the backs of hunters. Of course that isn't anything new.

Typical example.Every hunter has to pay the S&R and education fee with every license they buy. Non hunters,typically do not pay the seach and rescue fee even once and typically very few ever get charged for being rescued

If God wanted you to walk and carry things on your back, He would not have invented stirrups and pack saddles
C
C
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Colorado Oakie.The problem is that a lot of those funds go towards nonhunting expenditures which non hunters do not contribute to.They therefore get a free ride on the backs of hunters. Of course that isn't anything new.

Typical example.Every hunter has to pay the S&R and education fee with every license they buy. Non hunters,typically do not pay the seach and rescue fee even once and typically very few ever get charged for being rescued

Saddlesore,
True enough that the funds support a wide range of activities the DOW is involved in. Research, education and hunter outreach, among others. I volunteer in the DOW's hunter outreach program. This comes at no cost to the participants. While I appreciate your viewpoint and understand your frustration, I believe very deeply in the outreach program, as it helps develop ethical hunters who might not have the chance to experience the great outdoors otherwise. Also, I believe the research and conservation is necessary (as is hunting) to preserving the wildlife for future generations to enjoy. I don't mind paying for it a little. smile

As far as non-hunters not paying the education and S&R fee? What do you mean? I've got both on my fishing/small game license.

- Randy

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
Randy.The fishing/small game license is a "hunting" license. The Out Reach program is for hunting.

What I am talking about is al the people who don't have to buy a habitat stamp or S$R fee ,and yet benifit from those who do.

KC Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker

Originally Posted by rost495
Seems like the search and rescue fee at a minimum, would be required by ANY user of the public lands.... but don't try to apply common sense.

rost495:

I agree that all who enjoy the wilderness should bear an equal share of the burden for S&R operations. The problem is how to charge the fee to nonhunters who hike, climb, camp, backpack, sightsee, etc., on public land. There's no vehicle currently existing to charge nonhunters and maybe that's in our (hunters) best interest.

IMO it's a good idea that hunters pay all the burden of wildlife management and search and rescue operations because we can always use that to illustrate our commitment to wildlife and wilderness. PETA and tree huggers pay nothing towards those efforts. All they offer is lip service. So long as hunters pay for wildlife management and S&R we will be able to enjoy our sport because it's the only vehicle available to generate a revenue stream for those efforts. Maybe we ought to keep it that way.

KC

Wind in my hair, Sun on my face, I gazed at the wide open spaces, And I was at home.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
A fishing license includes the S&R fee, as does the habitat stamp.

Anyone using state lands needs to buy a habitat stamp. Not just hunters.

It's true that hunters (and fishermen) shoulder the majority of the load for wildlife management and conservation. That's something that hunters can be proud of and we should also let the general public know at every opportunity, more as a positive reflection on hunters than a negative reflection on the general public. That's just not gonna be productive.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by KC
The problem is how to charge the fee to nonhunters who hike, climb, camp, backpack, sightsee, etc., on public land. There's no vehicle currently existing to charge nonhunters and maybe that's in our (hunters) best interest.

Actually, there are two, the Habitat Stamp and the CORSAR card:

http://dola.colorado.gov/dlg/fa/sar/sar_purchase.html

A wise man is frequently humbled.

C
C
Originally Posted by saddlesore
Randy.The fishing/small game license is a "hunting" license. The Out Reach program is for hunting.

What I am talking about is al the people who don't have to buy a habitat stamp or S$R fee ,and yet benifit from those who do.

Gotcha. I see your point.

-Randy

C
C
Originally Posted by smokepole
A fishing license includes the S&R fee, as does the habitat stamp.

Anyone using state lands needs to buy a habitat stamp. Not just hunters.

It's true that hunters (and fishermen) shoulder the majority of the load for wildlife management and conservation. That's something that hunters can be proud of and we should also let the general public know at every opportunity, more as a positive reflection on hunters than a negative reflection on the general public. That's just not gonna be productive.

+1

G
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
G
Smokepole - FYI in 2009, Gov. Ritter signed SB 235 repealing the requirement for folks (non-hunters/anglers) using state lands to purchase habitat stamps (http://www.csmla.org/wildlife/Final_SB_235_Sent_to_Gov.pdf)
There is a provision for "non-sportsmen" to voluntarily purchase a Colorado Wildlife Passport for $25. That said, my local DOW doesn't know anything about the passport and where to buy.

I agree with Saddlesore, Smokepole and the rest in that hunters and anglers are carrying the financial load for the rest of the outdoor recreationalists.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Hunters actually carry the load, hunting fills shortfalls in the angling. There was a voluntary line on the state tax form, may still be there, for people to give funds to the DOW. That was put there for non-hunter/anglers to help out. You can guess how that worked out, along with any other voluntary thing that greenies could help out with.

No fear, no doubt, all in, balls out.

"America"

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

125 members (14idaho, 10gaugemag, 1beaver_shooter, 24HourCampFireGuy50, 16penny, 21 invisible), 1,428 guests, and 1,010 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,864
Posts18,478,655
Members73,948
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.