Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >
Topic Options
#5375331 - 06/29/11 12:51 AM CANOE ADVICE
BikerRN Offline

Loc: State of Discombobulation
Howdy all,

Wife is wanting to get some form of watercraft and our financial situation being what it is we settled for a canoe. We will be camping at local lakes and I'll do some fishing by myself while she does whatever it is she does. She wants to paddle around on the water a little and just have some fun. We will also do some class 1 and 1+ stuff nearby on a local river.

Niether of us has canoe expirience, but that will change shortly. I've been looking at two different canoes and need help making up my mind. Do I get the Mad River Adventure 14 or the Old Town Guide 147? Please tell me why you selected what you choose. Thanks in advance for your help.

Biker

CI16728
#5375356 - 06/29/11 02:15 AM Re: CANOE ADVICE [Re: BikerRN]
Dan_Chamberlain Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: Illinois, by Missouri
I have an Old Town, but it's the one with three seats, cup holders, rod tiedowns and a wide stable platform. I wanted to do fishing in mine and in the end, built a stern trolling motor mount and even purchased a set of outrigger floats so I could stand up and cast. My wife, daughter and I spent 3 hours in it on Sunday. They read while I caught bass.

Dan

#5375359 - 06/29/11 02:28 AM Re: CANOE ADVICE [Re: BikerRN]
Lslite Offline
Campfire Regular

Loc: Texas
Unless ya'll are both small folks,move up to at least a 16' with a 17' being even better.We had a 14' Mad River and it was a nice canoe but too small for us along with a cooler and a days gear.Any of the mid range canoes from either company are fine products.Research their websites to pick the boat best suited to your needs and type of water.Paddlingnet.com is a good source of reviews on differant canoes.Some dealers will have rentals so you can give some models a test run.

"Barefoot girls dancin' in the moonlight" The secret to a happy life in the words of a CCR song.

#5375368 - 06/29/11 02:56 AM Re: CANOE ADVICE [Re: Lslite]
northern_dave Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Minnesota
If I was looking old town I'd get the "camper"

#5375382 - 06/29/11 03:12 AM Re: CANOE ADVICE [Re: BikerRN]
Dan_Chamberlain Offline
Campfire Tracker

Loc: Illinois, by Missouri

Here's my solo set up for an all day on the water fishing trip. For a quick dip the paddle trip, I don't take the outriggers or the motor.

Dan

#5375401 - 06/29/11 03:34 AM Re: CANOE ADVICE [Re: BikerRN]
Birdwatcher Online   content
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: San Antonio TX
We got our little 13'3" Old Town as a gift. Its flat bottomed and dead stable but at 36" wide is dog-slow to paddle.

My nephews up in New York still use the 17' canoe I bought in high school. A longer canoe holds a bunch more, is intrinsically more efficient to paddle, and transports about as easy as a shorter one; get the longest canoe you can afford.

What separates canoes is the shape of the bottom; flat bottoms are dead stable in calm water but track poorly, OTOH while all canoes have a shallow draft, flat bottomed canoes will float in mere inches of water, sometimes a blast in swamps and wetlands.

Rounded bottom canoes are "livelier" and track better, they also paddle more efficiently.

If you are going to power it I ain't sure it matters WHAT hull shape you get since you'll be powering it past the intentions of the hull design anyhow.

Birdwatcher

#5375412 - 06/29/11 03:44 AM Re: CANOE ADVICE [Re: BikerRN]
Pugs Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Originally Posted By: BikerRN
Wife is wanting to get some form of watercraft and our financial situation being what it is we settled for a canoe. We will be camping at local lakes and I'll do some fishing by myself while she does whatever it is she does. She wants to paddle around on the water a little and just have some fun. We will also do some class 1 and 1+ stuff nearby on a local river.Biker

While I've spent a lot of time in canoes and need to get another because I do like them but for what you're looking at doing you'll likely have a lot more fun with a couple 10-12 foot recreational kayaks. Fishing solo out of a canoe designed for two works fine until wind comes up and then it's just frustrating and having two independent boats to go for a paddle on the lake is much more fun than the canoe where someone is always stuck in front and the person in back can't hear you unless you're talking loud.

We have an Old Town Dirgo and a Wilderness Designs Pungo and we're very happy with them.

#5375426 - 06/29/11 04:03 AM Re: CANOE ADVICE [Re: Pugs]
Birdwatcher Online   content
Campfire Kahuna

Loc: San Antonio TX
Quote:
having two independent boats to go for a paddle on the lake is much more fun than the canoe where someone is always stuck in front and the person in back can't hear you unless you're talking loud.

Apples and oranges. My wife likes to stretch out like a princess in ours while I labor away/operate the motor/whatever in back. Plus you can fit a large cooler, fishing rods, two dogs and a teenager as well as you and her in a canoe (once in that mode in our 13 footer, on Lake McQueeney crowded with high dollar power boats, some guy opined that we looked like the African Queen grin )

Birdwatcher

#5375445 - 06/29/11 04:23 AM Re: CANOE ADVICE [Re: Pugs]
northern_dave Offline
Campfire Oracle

Loc: Minnesota
My own personal "dream canoe" is a Souris river QT-17.

It's a 17' tandem, my layup choice would be their "el tigre" kevlar in a red or natural color. Weight is around 45 pounds with portage pads and the hull is a well thought out shape that fits in the "general purpose" category nicely.

Birdwatcher explained the hull designs nicely. We have a 19' wenonah sundowner at home that fits closer to the "racing" category. It lays in the water like a floating sewing needle. It's crazy fast and tracks straight. It's awesome for getting across a lake fast, but it's not any fun in small tight winding rivers and it's no damn fun to fish out of.

We had a smoker craft that was the complete opposite, it had rocker and width, it turned better than it tracked and it laid in the water like a garbage dumpster. Good to fish out of... and I guess it floated. Those are the only nice things I can think to say about it.

The old grumman aluminum canoes have a strong following for good reason, good quality and effective general purpose hull shape.

I would liken the water manors of the Souris river qt-17 to that of an old alum grumman 17 foot double ender but at roughly half the carry weight.

And at roughly quadruple the price frown

I'm getting wordy, sorry for that but I have one more I'd like to mention. I'd feel bad if I didn't mention the alumacraft QT 17. I've used them a lot and feel they are quite a value. The hull shape gets the nod for nice general purpose water manors, quality and durability are there, weight is manageable at around 65 lbs and they are quite affordable.

like others have said, I personally wouldn't have a 14' canoe even if it was a center seat solo, certainly not as a tandem.

#5375446 - 06/29/11 04:23 AM Re: CANOE ADVICE [Re: Birdwatcher]
Pugs Offline
Campfire 'Bwana

Originally Posted By: Birdwatcher
Quote:
having two independent boats to go for a paddle on the lake is much more fun than the canoe where someone is always stuck in front and the person in back can't hear you unless you're talking loud.

Apples and oranges. My wife likes to stretch out like a princess in ours while I labor away/operate the motor/whatever in back. Plus you can fit a large cooler, fishing rods, two dogs and a teenager as well as you and her in a canoe (once in that mode in our 13 footer, on Lake McQueeney crowded with high dollar power boats, some guy opined that we looked like the African Queen grin )

Birdwatcher

The answer is clearly a canoe and a couple kayaks. smile

Page 1 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 >

Moderator:  RickBin, SYSOP 
Support Our Sponsors 1
Who's Online
248 registered (28lx, 2crow, 257_X_50, 12Oclock, 1minute, 222Rem, 37 invisible), 847 Guests and 294 Spiders online.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Support Our Sponsors 2
Forum Stats
51382 Members
72 Forums
652521 Topics
9382561 Posts

Max Online: 4830 @ 12/01/14 06:45 PM
Support Our Sponsors 3

Copyright © 2000-2015 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.