Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
I am replacing the braided line on my spinning rig and wonder how others go about getting the line to not slip after loading the spool.

I realize there are pro's and con's to the superbraids I think the con that irritates me the most is the line loosening up on the spool and then Murphy steps in when you have a fish on and all of a sudden no drag!

The line coming off had no backer just braid on the spool.

Do you start with a mono backer then the braid or is there another method?

Thanks,

Mack

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
there's a knot my buddy uses for attaching braid on a spinning reel, that doesn't slip. i haven't learned it yet. you might try google to find the knot.
i use a little mono first.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
When I spool braid on my spinning reels, I always use a mono backer of about foot or so. That usually gives me about three or four spool turns. I use about 10# test or so, nothing too thick. I attach the mono to the spool and splice the braid to the mono using two uni-knots. I've never had a problem with slippage. I do the same thing with GSP backing on my fly reels. The only downside I can see if if something spools you and breaks the light mono, but if the fish has gone that far into your backing, things don't look very good anyway.

S
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
S

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A little tiny piece of masking tape over the knot and around the spool and you are good to go. Will stick and you can start putting on the rest.

Otto is my co-pilot.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
My friends fish braid salt water for everything up to Bluefin tuna. I'll tell you they all put mono first. You don't want your spool to start spinning and line to pay out and out and out. Braid has no bite. Braid also has no "give" and can crush a spool. Mono underneath acts as a cushion. I used braid on one rod for cod jigging because it's deep water and thinner line is less drag in the current, and less stretch means less line to wind in. I use P Line Extra Tough on my other reels and have had great luck with it.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Nathan nailed it, tape will hold it while you spool up and it won't slip while fighting fish either.

JOC was right. The 270 Winchester on a Model 70 is a great combination as is the 30/06 and 375 H&H

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by rob p
My friends fish braid salt water for everything up to Bluefin tuna. I'll tell you they all put mono first. You don't want your spool to start spinning and line to pay out and out and out. Braid has no bite. Braid also has no "give" and can crush a spool. Mono underneath acts as a cushion. I used braid on one rod for cod jigging because it's deep water and thinner line is less drag in the current, and less stretch means less line to wind in. I use P Line Extra Tough on my other reels and have had great luck with it.

It's true braid has no bite, but by the time you get to the end I'm guessing you are goign to loose the fish anyway.

Anyone ever recovered a fish after getting down to the last 5% of the spool? Just curious.

Otto is my co-pilot.
T
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
T
Originally Posted by SonnyO

Nice tip. Thanks.

"Be sure you're right. Then go ahead." Fess Parker as Davy Crockett
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Another of the qualifiers to my tag line is that I am hopeless with knots. (Note to those who would be helpful: illustrations are of no use - I am dislexid or something in regards to them, but thanks in advance for trying.) I have mastered the bare minimum to keep me functioning. One that I have not mastered is a good arbor knot. I have an ancient casting reel of my father's. The maker of this reel was wise enough to provide a hole going through the axle at a right angle to it. The line could be passed through this and knotted so that it had a positive grip on the axle. This should be mandatory on all casting reels. I am not sure what similar feature would work on a spinning reel, but there should be something. The present set-up is ridiculous.

Not a real member - just an ordinary guy who appreciates being able to hang around and say something once in awhile.

Happily Trapped In the Past (Thanks, Joe)

Not only a less than minimally educated person, but stupid and out of touch as well.
IC B3

S
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
S
Start with a mono backing, then spool the braid. No reason to spend the money filling any reel full of braid. Any reel I use with braid gets filled about 1/2 way with mono, then I attach the braid to the mono using a double uni knot.

M
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
M
Well I used the link provided and I have some backer mono so I think I am gonna load some backer and then use an Albright Knot to join the mono to the braid. Thanks for the advice gentlemen and if you have any other general fishing tips feel free to post them here.

Mack

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I have never been able to put line on a spinner as well as the shop can. If you put too much tension on the line, the line will bunch up at the front of the spool, not enough tension it will slip.

I do my ten or so conventionals myself, I take the spinning reels to the shop.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by NathanL
Originally Posted by rob p

It's true braid has no bite, but by the time you get to the end I'm guessing you are goign to loose the fish anyway.

Anyone ever recovered a fish after getting down to the last 5% of the spool? Just curious.

I've had it spin on my TLD 20 long before that. You keep cranking the handle and the spool just spins and spins. I put down some mono. I also put a good 20 feet of mono for a shock tippet. I popped Power Pro over and over again until I started using a big piece of mono at the end.

"I didn't get the sophisticated gene in this family. I started the sophisticated gene in this family." Willie Robertson
W
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
W
I've seen the spool on baitcasting reels a couple of times and gotten the fish in. I was lucky too on one occasion because when I filled the reel I didn't tie the line to the spool, I just ran it through the hole in the spool and filled it up.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Woodsmaster
I've seen the spool on baitcasting reels a couple of times and gotten the fish in. I was lucky too on one occasion because when I filled the reel I didn't tie the line to the spool, I just ran it through the hole in the spool and filled it up.

You are pretty lucky. I've never done it. I ran the spool out on a King while fishing for reds and PING at the end lol. I've done it a number of times saltwater fishing.

Never done it in freshwater. I think mostly because freshwater here if you have out more than you cast it's going around a stump or something else to break it off.

Otto is my co-pilot.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
The only time I've gotten down to the spool in freshwater was when fishing the tailrace of a dam. Fish hit and ran straight downstream.....never slowed and kept taking line until there were maybe two or three wraps on the spool. Fortunately we were able to pull anchor and follow until I'd gained a bit of line.

After a fight of nearly an hour....all the while following the fight with the boat.....we landed the fish.....all 69 pounds of Blue Catfish!!

I was VERY lucky because the fish stayed in the center of the river chanel and never wrapped the line around anything. If we'd not been able to follow in the boat, or if he'd ever found an underwater object.....it would have all been over as the reel was spooled with just 12# mono!

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
I have almost always used a mono backing before loading superlines on my reels. Usually cheaper that way and I can get many refills out of bulk spools which is the only way I buy it. Switched to superlines many years ago when competing on the Walleye tour as it was very helpful to not have to re-spool all of your rods each week right before a tourney.

On smaller reels where I needed maximum line length I just used a piece of tape on the spool/knot to hole it. Never had a problem with braided line crushing a spool, but then again the biggest fish I've taken is about a 200# Goliath Grouper....

~Molɔ̀ːn Labé Skýla~
Campfire 'Bwana
Online Content
Campfire 'Bwana
had a 16/0 stripped down to about 200yds of line left on the reel. it was spooled with 1700 yd of mono. the hooks straitened and pulled out before the shark took all the line.

God bless Texas-----------------------
Old 300
I will remain what i am until the day I die- A HUNTER......Sitting Bull
Its not how you pick the booger..
but where you put it !!
Roger V Hunter
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by stxhunter
had a 16/0 stripped down to about 200yds of line left on the reel. it was spooled with 1700 yd of mono. the hooks straitened and pulled out before the shark took all the line.

That would've been the answer to the fishermans prayer. "LORD let me catch a fish so big I ain't gotta lie about it"...

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

580 members (12344mag, 1lessdog, 1234, 17CalFan, 160user, 10Glocks, 60 invisible), 2,363 guests, and 1,158 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,518
Posts18,490,962
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.