Hop To
C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Gents,

I'm getting into duck hunting this fall. What type of decoys and calls do you recommend? I'll be hunting on saltwater tidal flats in SE Alaska. I will also have to pack the gear through to the woods to get to most of the hunting spots.

Thanks!

GB1

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
My guess is that there's not going to be too much pressure and "wise" ducks in coastal Alaska.

You might want to consider some lightweight silouettes and a good carrier.

You didn't mention what species of ducks you'll be planning on hunting?

Get back to me here on this and perhaps I can come up with some recommendations.

Bill C.-sbio
C
Calvin Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
C
Common ducks, sea ducks, geese, and brants. I hear at least 1 mojo decoy is a must.

B
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
B
While I like hippers BEST for most of my hunting that involves long walks...up in soggy Alaska (like here in soggy W. Orygun) you'll often suffer from wet butt.

To this end I've found self-boot 5mm neoprene WAIST high waders to be real handy, less sweaty, and easier to get around in than full length waders.

Of course for deeper or unknown water and if only ONE pair is part of the consideration, then 5mm neoprene waders get first nod.

I'm thinking that the LIGHTEST dekes are going to be an asset up there, where you'll probably be hiking/boating into various places, mudflats and small marsh potholes or the edges of bays etc.

Carrylites are light, but I don't own any...everybody I know that does doesn't have any paint left on their's! They're terrible that way.

I'm thinking about some "floating" silouettes, but I'm not at home right now, so don't have all my resources in front of me...

Also, for Mallards, you're going to want to probably buy only HEN dekes, as your early Mallards up there still have hen-like summer plumage on the Drakes...might have to make a "deal" with whatever manufacturer to get Hens only...

As far as calls, for Geese, for big Canadas I really like the Giant Killer call. For the smaller races, I think the Basin Abomination Cackler Call from those guys in Klamath Falls, Oregon is the best I've heard, and what I use. For Snows and Specks I'm just using a Tim Grounds Snow Goose call...there might be better Speck calls around, but I can make 'em work with the inexpensive Grounds call just fine.

Duck calls right now are a Foiles "Timber Rattler" set up with a single reed (they come as singles or doubles) as my "quiet" call and a RNT "Daisy Cutter" as my loud/all around call.

That Daisy Cutter is absolutely the best call I've ever blown and I have a drawer full of "other" (some other expensive) calls to boot!

I'll get back to you on the dekes later...

Bill C.-sbio
CAS Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A new dog, and now you've got the fever. I completely understand.

Effective decoys can be area specific, so I'd ask some experienced folks there about choices.

As for calls, I can't recommend JJ Lares calls highly enough. I've been using them for a long time, as have most of my buddies. They are a great call, and Joe is a great guy to do business with.

I just placed another order with Joe a few weeks ago for an A-5 and a T-1. Both sound fantastic, as do my other calls from him. One of my buddies also has a set of his goose calls, and they also are better than great.

IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
It sounds like you'll be hiking in to hunt tidal areas, which is what I do alot of , I have about a half mile hike to the tide flats behind my house. First suggestion, Cabelas breathable bootfoot waders, they are like hiking in hunting boots and pants. With a pair of polar fleece liners they are very warm, I stand in the water alongside logs or stumps through a full tide change and don't get cold and I hunt right throught to the end of Jan. Hiking any distance neopreme is one misserable afair to me.

For decoys and rigging, I use a 2# lead ball and 100' of 1/4'' hard braid camo rope (easy to untange with cold hands). I put 2' drop lines on my decoys and a longline clip. At low tide I stretch the rope out and clip the decoys to it at 6' intervolds. As the tide comes in I just move farther up the tide flat and drag the whole rig with me. Most ducks will be flying parallel to the shore so the 8 decoys (six large ducks and 2 teal closest to shore) perpendicular to the shore really stands out. And when you decide to call it a day just stand there and pull the decoys to you .

Greenhead Gear makes some sturdy inexpensive mallard dekes use the hens as is and paint the drakes all black and use them for scoters or bluebills if your getting alot of seaducks or divers in.

I took an old pack frame and lashed my decoy bag to it, it make carrying a load alot easier on the back.

Good Luck
erich

Last edited by erich; 08/02/05.

After the first shot the rest are just noise.

Make mine a Minaska

Heaven has walls and rules, H-ll has open borders

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

664 members (007FJ, 01Foreman400, 10gaugemag, 117LBS, 10Glocks, 68 invisible), 2,775 guests, and 1,291 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,639
Posts18,512,234
Members74,010
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.