Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
T
tt35 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
My nephew took a rockchuck at 1264 yards yesterday.

Here's the pic. (Red arrow shows the location of the rockchuck.)
[Linked Image]

And, now the story.

It's getting close to the time our rockchucks will be going down for the year so I wanted to make a hunt this week. My son, Ben, is out of town visiting his brother so I asked my nephew, Gus, if he wanted to go along. He was game so we headed out to try to get to a promising looking canyon I'd seen while Ben and I were hunting last week. The road was horrible but we eventually made it to within a short hike of the canyon.

We set up on one rim of the canyon and began glassing. Eventually I spotted a couple of rockchucks beyond the far rim of the canyon standing up in the grass. They offered good shots but poor spotting. Gus ranged the area with his Leica 1200 at around 1250 yards. He only had ten rounds of ammo for his .308 with him. He told me that the previous two rounds had scored on two sage rats and one bear and he wanted to keep his string going. I suggested that if that was the case, he probably wouldn't want to start shooting at 1200 yard rockchucks. Being the sensible young man that he is, he decided he might as well take a poke at them anyway.

Gus had not shot the particular load he was using past 500 yards and the longest kill he'd made with the gun previously was around 550 yards on a prairie dog on our Wyoming trip two summers ago. With no drop chart we just discussed things and took a guess based on my drops. I told him to dial in 48 minutes of angle elevation and five MOA of wind. I told him I hoped I could see his shot in the field of view of my spotting scope which didn't instill a lot of confidence in him concerning our dope.

Shooting location.
[Linked Image]

Gus shoots a Remington 700 SPS in a B&C stock (I think) with a Leupold Mark 4 4.5-14X scope. It definitely wasn't too much magnification for the situation! He told me later that the horizontal crosshair was covering the whole 'chuck. He dialed up, settled behind the rifle and squeezed off the shot. I was actually able to call the shot. It was within about one minute on windage and several feet low. I told him to take one minute of wind out and come up another six MOA. That got us in the ball park on the next shot and he ended up with 58 1/4 minutes of elevation in the scope and three minutes of wind.

The shots from that point on were all very close. He was close enough that he was scaring the rockchucks off with each shot and we'd have to wait to find another in a position where I could spot the shot before he could loose another round. Long story short, on round number seven I saw no dust and the rockchuck took off like a scalded cat across the rocks and onto an angled face of a ledge where it launched itself into the air off a 40 foot cliff! We could see it wasn't running correctly but didn't know whether Gus had just hit it in the leg or what. He felt good enough about it to want to go check. I on the other hand wasn't nearly as excited.

One challenge of long range shooting is the retrieval. This 'chuck was a long ways away and across the canyon and, because of the rimrock, I didn't know how far we'd have to go just to get to the bottom of the canyon which happened to have a good sized stream running through it. But, being the good uncle I am, I went along. It took us over a half mile and one very large rattle snake to get to a spot we could descend into the canyon. When we got to the stream, the run-off made it more like a small river and that was where the whole Good Uncle thing gave out. smile

Gus stripped down to his skivvies and carried his pants and shoes across the swollen creek. I didn't know if he was going to be able to stay upright in the current but he's shaped like Gumby so he doesn't displace lot of water. smile He made it out, got dressed and headed up the other side of the canyon. I watched through the spotting scope as he climbed up to the bottom of the bluff and a minute or so later he was holding up his 1264 yard rockchuck! Turned out to be a centermass hit with close to a one inch exit. I think the rockchuck was dead before he hit the ground.

Gus refording the creek with his trophy.
[Linked Image]

It took nearly three hours to get to the 'chuck and make it back to our shooting location where we finished the "photo shoot".

Gus is really looking forward to rubbing his new record in his cousin's face. Ben had pretty well stopped reaching out past about 1100 yards thinking his family record was safe. I can already envision Ben's drive to move beyond 1264 yards. He's got his work cut out for him but somehow I think he's up to the task!

I never fired a shot but it was good day with a good kid and and one exceptional shot.

Tim

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Congratulations on some fine shooting.

Member: Clan of the Turdlike People.

Courage is Fear that has said its Prayers

�If we ever forget that we are one nation under God, then we will be a nation gone under.� Ronald Reagan.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Nice write up and a great shot! Thanks for sharing that.

J
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
J
That's teamwork. Good job guys.

FVA Offline
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That is great! Thanks for the write up and congrats to your nephew on a shot that will be hard to beat.

IC B2

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Tim - a killing shot at 1264 yards is worth getting BLUE gonads! Homesteader.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
AWESOME shot!

T
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
T
Awesome team shot. smile Awesome telling of the tale. Thanks for sharing!

Tom

Anyone who thinks there's two sides to everything hasn't met a M�bius strip.

Here be dragons ...
M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
Great shooting and teamwork!

M
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
M
What load was your nephew shooting?

IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
That's awesome cool

Brett
S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
+1 on all the above !!

T
tt35 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
Thasnks a lot, guys!

MountainMarine: I'm not sure of the exact load but it was a 175 gr Sierra Match King at around 2700 fps. WW case and Fed 210 primer.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great shooting and supreme effort to get the dead chuck! Must be nice to be young and so full of energy.:)

That was one of the best stories I've read on here recently, thanks for sharing.

S
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
S
That really is! The retrieval is my favorite part--a trophy picture, hard-earned.

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
awsome, just awsome. give that young man a big hug for me also.
also give yourself a hug for without you it couldnt have happened.
this is long range hunting at its finest in my opinion.
this is how i learned over 40 years ago in pa.
and this is how it is still done by successfull hunters there.
it will work every where its tried.
the key to success is not the gun, its not even the shooter.
its the spotter. without him its over before it begins.
now if you want to improve on this, ace the spotting scope and borrow ss coyote's kowa highlanders.
at least put another spotter in a bracket.
let the pinheads argue over ballistics and first shot hits.
this is where the rubber meets the road.

T
tt35 Offline OP
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
T
That Kowa Highlander is a Beast! I'll send sscoyote my address! wink

Y
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Y
Originally Posted by tt35
That Kowa Highlander is a Beast! I'll send sscoyote my address! wink

for sure they are, and for sure he wont loan them.
there are other good options however.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Great shot and best story I've read in a looonnng time! My favorite part is that the young man did what it took to confirm his kill. He's a born hunter, and he's gonna do alright as a man.

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
I bet he will remember that shot forever. He has a lot of fortitude to ford that stream as snow waters are very cold. Your Ben will be trying to figure out how he can make a longer shot and I would not be surprised if he does. Isn't life wonderful when you can see young men who take up the challenge. Best money you ever spent for the rifles/accessories to keep a kid interested in something fun.

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

406 members (17CalFan, 10gaugemag, 10ring1, 19rabbit52, 10gaugeman, 160user, 45 invisible), 3,427 guests, and 1,143 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,638
Posts18,533,576
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.