Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
R
Campfire Member
OP Offline
Campfire Member
R
It would seem to me that for this forum to be beneficial, one should know who is giving the advice to the unwashed.

We all have read enough to know that some "gunwriters" are little more than shills for firearm and equipment manufacturers. Some are knowledgeable and some fall in between. Although some commentators are quick to identify themselves as non-gunwriters, is there a process to keep out interlopers?

Is there a list one can consult to see who "ol' fire 'n smoke" really is or is that insider information?

GB1

S
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
S
Click the little red X on the upper right of your computer, that should give you all the info you need.

"Dear Lord, save me from Your followers"
P
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
P
Check out the "Gunwriter Backgrounds" thread in this forum.

The view one sees is his own
Practitioner of the ancient art of skank fu
M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
You may consider me a member of the "unwashed", though I did shower this morning.

I post here occasionally and have never claimed to be a gun writer. Most often I pose a question and I care not who answers it, gun writer or rank and file shooter and/or hunter. I weigh the answers against my experience and common sense and take what I need from the information. On occasion I post a comment when I think I have something to of value to add. I guess I am an interloper.

Mart

Chronographs, bore scopes and pattern boards have broke a lot of hearts.
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
robert,

This forum started out many years ago as "Ask Ken Howell," who's the editor of SMOKELORE magazine, which you'll find of the home page. He formerly edited some paper gun magazines, and as has published articles and books.

As 24hourcampfire grew, some other gun writers started posting here, so the name of the forum was changed. At that time it was also decided to let any member post, to keep information flowing. So there are no "usurpers," but looking at the "gunwriter background thread" can help in deciding who everybody is.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
IC B2

F
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
F
Guys,

With respect I'm in awe of most of the regular gun writers in major magazines wheather or not I agree with their view. Just the fact that they've gotten publised regularly is very cool in my book, so despite the original post, I'm always excited when I'm able to decipher who a writer is from their screen name, or when its common 'fire knowledge.

Unreconstructed to the End.
Dum Vivimus Vivamus
Death smiles at us all...but only FMF Corpsmen smile back
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Guilty of posting here occasionally.....

Usually forgetting that I am on the Gunwriter's forum.

Am not a gunwriter, nor slept at a holiday Inn lately.

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
It was decided long ago that anybody could post on this forum. That helps keep the gun writers more-or-less honest!

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
L
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
L
I once fantasized about being a gun writer and my college professor's said that I graduated with honors due to my ablities as a writer. Other than that, I'm merely a world-class lover and a bull-shooter.

S
Campfire Outfitter
Online Happy
Campfire Outfitter
S
I doubt that many gun writers will respond to this thread. It's not snobbery, but there are people around that delight in taking cheap shots. You have to be thick skinned.

[Linked Image]

Burma Shave

[Linked Image]

Safe Shooting!
Steve Redgwell
www.303british.com

Get your facts first, then you can distort them as you please. - Mark Twain
Member - Professional Outdoor Media Association of Canada
[Linked Image from i.imgur.com]
IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
The ability for us READERS of the gunwriters to actually visit with them is worth the price of a computer and an internet connection, in my view. I've had questions answered by some of my favorite writers....that's a privilege, in my opinion.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Plus, our interaction with them provides tons of material for the writers to joke about among themselves whenever they get together. laugh

(That was told to me by a bona fide gunwriter. wink )

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Apparently the OP (robertkirksey) wasn't really all that interested in any answers to his question. He hasn't even been on-line since he posted it.

John Steinbeck
S
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
S
Originally Posted by 300_savage
The ability for us READERS of the gunwriters to actually visit with them is worth the price of a computer and an internet connection, in my view. I've had questions answered by some of my favorite writers....that's a privilege, in my opinion.

+1.

A wise man is frequently humbled.

B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Swampy says 700s and core-lokts are the best in the world. This forum should probably be shut off as far as anything else rifle related. We have it all.

laissez les bons temps rouler
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I'm not a gun writer, and don't necessarily think those who are are the libraries of knowledge. They're good writers, and some of that experience naturally translates, but I'm not in awe of anyone in particular.

I go here because the Hunter's Campfire is full of rabidly negative and not the kind of folks I'd want around my camfire.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Campfire Tracker
Online Content
Campfire Tracker
I go here because the Hunter's Campfire is full of rabidly negative and not the kind of folks I'd want around my camfire.

I agree with what Gene L said! I have answered a few questions here and there, but usually hesitate unless I see that it has been a few days and the original poster is not getting answered. I have also questioned a few posts when my experiences differed, but I have always qualified my answer by stating that I wasn't a gun writer.

Being able to spin a good yarn doesn't make someone an expert in any particular area. We are fortunate in having a current crop of gun writers that have some great experiences to draw on, seem to be very knowledgeable in the areas they write and are willing to share with us, almost real time or like "around a campfire." Wish more would join in! Wish we had a forum and the technology back when Skeeter Skelton and Bill Jordan were writing...

Harry
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
It's probably a good thing Charles Askins, Jr. doesn�t post here. If someone flamed him, he�d hunt them down and kill them!

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Mule Deer & Others :

I've stated this before and would like to take the opportunity

to let you know my feelings & attitude haven't changed.

I APPRECIATE the opportunity to participate, discuss, and intermingle with the Gun Writers and others who have experience in our sport.

I've learned from threads that I haven't posted in, from those who have experience or experienced different things or with different rifles/calibers.

What do you call a fire addict? Arsonist?
I'm a Campfire Addict aka arsonist. I might consider changing my handle.

THANKS FOR LETTING ME PARTICIPATE! ! Jerry

jwall- *** 3100 guy***

A Flat Trajectory is Never a Handicap

Speed is Trajectory's Friend !!
M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
Jerry,

I've said this before here: I get as much out of "Ask The Gunwriters" as anybody. Often the discussions bring out some aspects I haven't considered before, plus I find out what's on the minds of rifle loonies!

John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

540 members (257Ackley, 1beaver_shooter, 22kHornet, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257Bob, 62 invisible), 2,562 guests, and 1,286 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,694
Posts18,534,578
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.