Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
J
Joe Offline OP
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
J
What have you found to be the best leather dressing for your slings and holsters and how often do you apply?

Shew me thy ways, O LORD: teach me thy paths.
"there are few better cartridges on Earth than the 7 x 57mm Mauser"
"the .30 Springfield is light, accurate, penetrating, and has surprising stopping power"
GB1

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
mink oil, and twice a year

IF GUNS KILL PEOPLE, MINE ARE ALL DEFECTIVE ..... TED NUGENT
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
Neatsfoot oil.

Not many problems you can't fix
With a 1911 and a 30-06

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Along the same line of thinking. How do you keep the green stuff from forming around the snaps. miles

Look out for number 1, don't step in number 2.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Obenauf's. Great on boots, should be the same for slings. Although I usually just use gun oil most of the time.

laissez les bons temps rouler
IC B2

H
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
H
Redwing Boot Oil.

Its all right to be white!!
Stupidity left unattended will run rampant
Don't argue with stupid people, They will drag you down to their level and then win by experience
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Danner boot dressing; brown, black or clear.
http://www.danner.com/accessories/boot-care/

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
Originally Posted by Joe
What have you found to be the best leather dressing for your slings and holsters and how often do you apply?

I make no claims to being a gun writer nor an expert but I'm quite sure there is no best and doubly sure there is no best across applications.

There are two streams of holster making in the United States today - the old west

(need not be old west in geography, there was once and may still be a great saddle maker/leather shop in southeastern Ohio but then again that was the North West Territory)

saddle maker tradition (e.g. Tio Sam Myres of Three Person holster design fame)

and the European shoemaker tradition often seen around New York state (Chic Garlord, Paris Theodore, Lou Alessi - again need not be physically in the east see also Bruce Nelson, Milt Sparks/Tony Kanaley et. al.)

much like chrome tanned, vegetable tanned and silicone treated waterproof boots responding to different leather dressings so too the holsters respond best to different treatment - Tony Kanaley touts Renaissance Wax and nothing more for the holsters from his own shop. Given an aging and likely dried out collectible holster by Heiser out of Denver and the saddle maker tradition I would very likely use an oil based product. Might even have snow in the name and the consistency of petroleum jelly.

Similarly I might have a Brownell's Latigo sling for carry, an oiled leather from
Andy Langlois again for carry, an older Safariland carry strap with velcro adjustment or a dedicated tight loop shooting sling each of which gets a different treatment.

Fiebing's makes good stuff and I have a variety of products on hand - often choosing to use whatever comes first to hand. Capitalism works and most anything used in accord with the label and advertising is better than nothing - except for the holsters in the Italian shoe maker tradition where nothing is sometimes better.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Kitchen grade olive oil....works as good as anything out there. The price ain't bad either!

Luck....is the residue of design...
[Linked Image]
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
I make handmade hunting knives for a hobby (closing in on #2000 now) and have used everything under the sun on my leather sheaths I make.

I always seem to go back to neatsfoot oil...just an old reliable in my book. If you are storing anything in your leather, ie" knives, pistols, etc...the object is NOT to make the leather waterproof, as it will cause the metal to rust if it is put into the sheath/holster wet, or even damp. Slings and such obviously are a different story.

I have taken a recent liking to Red Wings pump spray can of silicone spray...very nice stuff as well. Really nice to use on old, dried out leather....great stuff.....about $7 a bottle.

Mink oil stinks too much for me...and, again, in my business I'm not trying to waterproof the leather, just make it flexible, etc.

Good luck!

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
IC B3

B
Campfire Regular
Online Content
Campfire Regular
B
Buffalo Butter

Give me land, lots of land, under starry skies above. Don't fence me in.
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
What would you consider the best for a inside the pants holster that is against your skin all day and every day?

A Doe walks out of the woods today and says, that is the last time I'm going to do that for Two Bucks.
G
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
G
bea175, I would go with the Redwing silicone spray.....not as messy. Less chance of staining your clothes

You only live once, but...if you do it right, once is enough.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by backtobethel
Buffalo Butter

KY Gel.... also works for those inside the pants applications

Thank me later

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Originally Posted by ClarkEMyers
Tony Kanaley touts Renaissance Waxand nothing more for the holsters from his own shop.

Recently did a new Montana Sling with Renaissance Wax and it seems to be working well. Sure softened the leather up.

...and he that hath no sword, let him sell his garment, and buy one. - Luke 22:36
G
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
G
Olive oil, its a plant based oil that doesnt spook game and protect's leather, I know it sound's stupid Men, but it really does work.
Not to hi-jack, but use it on Your rifle's and bow's to.

Gunner

Trump Won!
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
What is Kentucky Gel?

M
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
M
pure 100% neatsfoot oil when needed. just cover don't soak.
Rub it in. Been around a long time. Great stuff.
Mouse

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Originally Posted by 1234567
What is Kentucky Gel?

KY Jelly. Very useful product..... grin

μολὼν λαβέ
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
I use Lexol-nf for all my saddles and leather gear. When I make a new saddle I use 100% neatsfoot oil to get the color I like and then the lexol-nf. The lexol-nr has neatsfoot oil in it but it does not darken as you use it and really softens the leather .
The best is bear fat rendered to bear oil.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

547 members (25aught6, 10Glocks, 270wsmnutt, 160user, 257Bob, 257 roberts, 62 invisible), 2,541 guests, and 1,284 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,375
Posts18,527,446
Members74,031
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.