Hop To
Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Gath_Sten
Originally Posted by The Real Hawkeye
Your way has been tried, e.g., Bob Dole, John McCain.

And what about Bush 43? Do you count him as a conservative? Dole and McCain lost because they were dull old men with no vision for the future, not because they were moderate. Reagon was close enough to the center to win over many democrats.
George W. Bush, in his first run, fooled an America desperate for a return to Ronald Reagan that he was a Reagan style conservative. He fooled just barely enough to get in. It was only his incumbency status, and our nation being "at war" (9/11 was still fresh in America's memory), that squeaked him through the second time. Anything but a landslide in either case.

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Hawk,
I do not believe the American electorate will re-elect BHO. He is to our detriment and to the detriment of our country and has failed to do the job he was elected to do. He had no leadeship ability coming in due to his lack of executive experience and he has displayed through his appointments and his decision making that on the job training has not worked either.. One only has to look at his list of czar appointees, some in his cabinet, and his closest advisors to determine what he knows and who he is.
Hopefully and prayerfully the Republican party will nominate someone with the ability to communicate to all of those in America that vote but do not know how to do their own research and listen to what either someone tells them or to a talking head on TV or Radio.
The Vann Jones saga (which continues), Obama's history with Jerimiah Wright, his appointments of Kevin Jennings, Cass Sunstein, Robert Creamer, John Holdren, and Eric Holder to name a few ought to be enough to disqualify him with voters. Now throw in 8% or higher unemployment and a $100 bill that is worth about 75% of what it was when he took office and his incumbant advantage is gone IMHO.
Michelle Bachman can beat this guy if she "takes the gloves off" and pounds him on his record and his lack of leadership. I am a little concerned that our country is not ready to elect a women president though. I hope I am wrong because she has more "fire" than Mitt. . All points purely my observations and my opinions.
BTW and FWIW "I have not officially endorsed a candidate yet."

Dave

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I'd vote for Bachmann if she was the only choice against what's his name, but truth is she's fluff as far as I'm concerned. She was IRS and I despise IRS and anyone low enough to work for the Service. People ought to have a little more honor than that.

Current contenders are either not electable or not someone I could for for as opposed to voting against the other choice. I might could get behind Alan West if he ran but there's much I don't know about the man.

Anyway, I don't want two fuggin' Micheles in the White House back to back.

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
George W. Bush, in his first run, fooled an America desperate for a return to Ronald Reagan that he was a Reagan style conservative. He fooled just barely enough to get in. It was only his incumbency status, and our nation being "at war" (9/11 was still fresh in America's memory), that squeaked him through the second time.

So fooling the public allowed Bush to win the first time. Who would have thought a politician would stoop to fooling the public? Then circumstances allowed Bush 43 to win reelection. News flash, circumstances always play a major role in presidential elections and they are not looking to be in Obama�s favor in 2012.

There�s no Reagan in the line-up this time, but there are dull old men with no vision, far right-wingers, kooks, airheads, and maybe 1 or 2 guys who could win the center and beat Obama. Some of current crop of potential Republican candidates would not only lose the center they would lose moderate Republicans and give Obama a landslide.

There�s no need to energize the republican base, Obama has already done that. Whoever wins the center wins the election; it really is that simple. That�s why I and many other well-right-of-center voters are going to support a moderate Republican as long as they are not some dull old man like McCain.

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
I'd vote for Bachmann if she was the only choice against what's his name, but truth is she's fluff as far as I'm concerned. She was IRS and I despise IRS and anyone low enough to work for the Service. People ought to have a little more honor than that.

Current contenders are either not electable or not someone I could for for as opposed to voting against the other choice. I might could get behind Alan West if he ran but there's much I don't know about the man.

Bachmann's not my pick either. I'd much rather see a Paul/Johnson ticket, but I would vote for Bachmann.

IC B2

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
There�s no need to energize the republican base, Obama has already done that.
Being willing to vote for anyone but Obama is not the same as being enthusiastic. The former just tells you who the base will vote for. The latter tells you that the base will interest independents into also voting their way. We need the latter not the former.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
Right now Bachman is the only frontrunner for me. Romney and Huntsman are out as Rino's. Newt shot himself in the foot with his comments on the budget as did Pawlenty with his cowardly showing at the last debate against Romney. I like Paul but he is unelectable and don't really know anything much about Johnson. I like Cain but he doesn't seem to be getting any traction, but then again that is the MSM for ya.

Of all the things I've lost, I miss my mind the most. - Mark Twain.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Originally Posted by Bristoe
Bachman was a tax attorney enforcer for the IRS.

She's "big government" to the core.

No thanks.

Just because she worked for the IRS between 1988-1993 doesn't mean anything "big government". You know there is a need to pay SOME taxes so just because she worked for them in some capacity doesn't mean she is tainted goods.

You couldn't be more wrong about her being "big government"! She has been a Tea Party member from the start and holds many Libertarian views. She wants to slash government spending, lower taxes to businesses and individuals and make government smaller. You can debate other issues but her being "big government" is one that is completely wrong.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B

You lost any credibility you had making this statement. What the hell does the name have to do with anything?

For those who are getting hung up on her 5 year ('88-93) IRS tenure, you are making a foolish generalization. Why did she quit after 5 years? Maybe she saw the waste, fraud and abuse and wanted out? Maybe she wanted to go to Congress and do something positive? Having worked for the IRS gives her MORE "street cred" when she calls them out for the bloated bureaucracy they are!

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by amax155
I like Paul ... and don't really know anything much about Johnson.
Gary Johnson 2012

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
This isn't addressed to you big but isn't the "middle" a continuously growing base of voters? If I'm not mistaken the last election cycles saw a big increase in voters identifying themselves as independent.

"I Birn Quhil I Se" MacLeod of Lewis
I Burn While I See
Hold Fast MacLeod of Harris
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by bigwhoop

Just because she worked for the IRS between 1988-1993 doesn't mean anything "big government". You know there is a need to pay SOME taxes so just because she worked for them in some capacity doesn't mean she is tainted goods.

You couldn't be more wrong about her being "big government"! She has been a Tea Party member from the start and holds many Libertarian views. She wants to slash government spending, lower taxes to businesses and individuals and make government smaller. You can debate other issues but her being "big government" is one that is completely wrong.
Agreed. In fact there are former IRS workers out there who are part of a movement advancing the position that there is no law requiring anyone to pay personal income tax to the IRS. They assert that when asked to show the law requiring it, they researched it and could not produce a single such law, causing them ultimately to resign from their jobs with the IRS. This is about as radical an anti-IRS position as can be imagined, yet they too are former IRS employees. Being a former IRS employee doesn't equate to being pro-IRS.

P
prm Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
P
Having some time in the IRS could be a good thing. Possibly a bit more insight and desire to make it go away. I can't make too much of a short stint there either way. At least she had a job. That puts her above Obama. Has there ever been anyone less qualified for anything than Obama????

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

You lost any credibility you had making this statement. What the hell does the name have to do with anything?

For those who are getting hung up on her 5 year ('88-93) IRS tenure, you are making a foolish generalization. Why did she quit after 5 years? Maybe she saw the waste, fraud and abuse and wanted out? Maybe she wanted to go to Congress and do something positive? Having worked for the IRS gives her MORE "street cred" when she calls them out for the bloated bureaucracy they are!
Seems reasonable to me.

Campfire Member
Campfire Member
Being willing to vote for anyone but Obama is not the same as being enthusiastic. The former just tells you who the base will vote for. The latter tells you that the base will interest independents into also voting their way. We need the latter not the former.

The left wingers will all vote for Obama and the right wingers will all vote for anyone but Obama. The center votes their pocket book when that�s the issue and it will be in this election.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna

Credibility was never a deep concern of mine. So far as the "Micheles" remark, you need to work on your sense of humor.

As far as her tenure with IRS, I rather imagine that's a lot like trying gay once then claiming your not. The problem there isn't the length of career, it's the mindset that allows one to enter the field to start with. It reeks of Big Government mentality. Don't trust Bachmann and never will. Fluff, no substance, sort of like Barry....

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by Mac84
This isn't addressed to you big but isn't the "middle" a continuously growing base of voters? If I'm not mistaken the last election cycles saw a big increase in voters identifying themselves as independent.
That's a consequence of the Republican Party's controlling establishment having been taken over by neoconservatives. Many of the Reagan/Goldwater/Taft type Republicans became disgusted and started calling themselves Independents. We have, largely, the George W. Bush administration to thank for this. This is hardly an argument, however, for the Republican Party moving even further from the Reagan/Goldwater/Taft base. Just the opposite.

O
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
O
Originally Posted by Paddler
So now it comes down to eye candy. She might steel some of the woman’s vote from Obama, but she's too right-wing to win.

It seems to me guys here on the 'fire fall for eye candy, all show and no go. Wonder why that would be.

Bachmann is too much of a nut job to win. I think that's what you meant to say. Same with Palin. Nominating either of them will be a guaranteed defeat. Most Americans want a more centrist and intelligent candidate.

I have endorsed a candidate.....wait for it........Obama!!!

eek Americans have proven they don't want an intelligent candidate. Case in point the idiot holding the office now. wink GW

If an injury has to be done to a man it should be so severe that his vengeance need not be feared. MACHIAVELLI
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T

The left wingers will all vote for Obama and the right wingers will all vote for anyone but Obama. The center votes their pocket book when that�s the issue and it will be in this election.
The center is largely made up of people who are not strongly political in their thinking, i.e., they don't have a strongly developed political view or position. Therefore they are subject to be swayed one way or the other. One is more likely to be swayed when one sees enthusiasm and excitement among those who advocate a political view. They want to know what all the excitement is about, and excitement is contagious. McCain couldn't have that effect because he himself was not a true believer in conservatism (he was a centrist, like the sort of candidate you're recommending now), and therefore excited no one. The base, in fact, was disgusted. This disgust was observed by independents, with predictable results.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

She was a litigator FOR the IRS for cryin' out loud! If she were a Nazi, or any other bad thing (a litigator FOR the IRS is bad enough), she'd still be popular with a certain element because she says the things that that particular element can be whipped into a frenzy about. If you think she's going to appeal to the moderates, and the independents (who are going to play a major role in the next election), then you're [bleep] in a flat hat. I don't know what the answer is, but I know what it's not...it's not Obama and his ilk...and it's not more of the same that we've been getting from the Republicans. I think we're just f*cked!

Every day on this side of the ground is a win.
Page 5 of 15 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 14 15

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

475 members (06hunter59, 12344mag, 219 Wasp, 2ndwind, 1badf350, 257 roberts, 48 invisible), 1,765 guests, and 1,226 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,036
Posts18,520,993
Members74,023
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.