Print Thread
Hop To
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4
M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Dave,

He's been trolling for years in the optics forum and we've been chasing the bait like a dog chases a car. Sly old fart.

GB1

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Originally Posted by JGRaider
Originally Posted by Foxbat
I'd bet if you could do a blind test....cover up the scope except for being able to view through it you'd not find a nickle's worth of difference between a Conquest, VX3, Meopta, Elite 4200, Nikon Monarch, Pentax Lightseeker, or a Burris Signature Select.

I do not understand for, the life of me, why Leupold doesn't have some sort of hydrophobic lens coatings on at least the VX3/FX3 series.

In daylight, I'd bet you're right.

I'd be willing to bet in all legal hunting light situations. For instance, last November we had a mule deer hunter with some sort of custom gun wearing a S&B Klassic 4-16x50 with that circle reticle (whatever you call it). Sweet rig, and great glass to say the least. My buddy had his 7STW with a VXII 3-9x40. He killed a 185 class buck at very, very last legal light. I had my buddy's gun beside me while watching the killing through the spotter. I could have killed that buck with the Leupy also, no problem at 300 yards. The S&B was a little brighter and somewhat sharper, but, surprisingly to my eyes not enough that I couldn't have killed that buck too.

Well, we'd have to decide whether "a nickles worth of difference" equates to "I could have still killed it".

Where 7 different scopes at noon can leave someone scratching their head for a difference, may be a different story at 15 minutes after sundown. And while you may be able to kill something with any of them at that time, people pay a lot of money for subtle and maybe not so subtle, differences.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
Right on Foxbat. Can't argue with that. I'm just one of those who believe brand bias talks us into believing what may or may not be there. I can honestly say I have zero brand bias or loyalty. Would you believe it if I told you that a very well respected, knowledgable, and veteran hunter, a guy who has tested dozens of hunting scopes over the years and lately, recently told me that a FX3 6x42 recently tested ever so slightly a notch below a Zeiss Diavari optically? True story. He tests them the exact same way every time.

It is irrelevant what you think. What matters is the TRUTH.
D
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
D
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Dave,

He's been trolling for years in the optics forum and we've been chasing the bait like a dog chases a car. Sly old fart.

I like him even if he's fishing. wink

The Karma bus always has an empty seat when it comes around.- High Brass

There's battle lines being drawn
Nobody's right if everybody's wrong
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Foxbat says,

Well, we'd have to decide whether "a nickles worth of difference" equates to "I could have still killed it".

Where 7 different scopes at noon can leave someone scratching their head for a difference, may be a different story at 15 minutes after sundown. And while you may be able to kill something with any of them at that time, people pay a lot of money for subtle and maybe not so subtle, differences.

Let me put a couple brands on that. No one can see any difference between my 6500 and my z5 during the day. But only a died in the wool Bushnell lover would tell us the 6500 is as good as the Swarovski when the sun goes down. There is just no comparison.

I worked out a simple solution for this problem. I put the Bushnell on a heavy varmint rifle that works only the day shift. The Swarovski goes on the hunter rifle.

Anyone else with brands they will tell us about?

"Only Christ is the fullness of God's revelation."
Everyday Hunter
IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by Dave_in_WV
Originally Posted by Magnumdood
Dave,

I like him even if he's fishing. wink

Only problem is it's hard to take him seriously about anything else. I used to think that he offered up some good info on bino's but now I starting to wonder about those reviews. I guess that's the chance you take when you post nothing but foolishness.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Right on Foxbat. Can't argue with that. I'm just one of those who believe brand bias talks us into believing what may or may not be there. I can honestly say I have zero brand bias or loyalty. Would you believe it if I told you that a very well respected, knowledgable, and veteran hunter, a guy who has tested dozens of hunting scopes over the years and lately, recently told me that a FX3 6x42 recently tested ever so slightly a notch below a Zeiss Diavari optically? True story. He tests them the exact same way every time.

I'm the same way. I have no brand loyalty when it comes to optics. I have 6 different brands of binoculars and 6 different brands of scopes currently and have owned several other brands.

It doesn't hurt my feelings if one brand is better than another at low light, just means the better one is going on my rifles that I use at dusk and the other will be relegated to daylight service.

[Linked Image]

M
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
M
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Only problem is it's hard to take him seriously about anything else. I used to think that he offered up some good info on bino's but now I starting to wonder about those reviews. I guess that's the chance you take when you post nothing but foolishness.

While I think he's a lot smarter than his on-line persona, I'm not ready to send him an application to the Mensa Society either. I think he enjoys stirring the pot, and apparently, written abuse has little or no effect on him.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I wonder how the new vx6 will compare to the Meopta.

R
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
R
I sure did open a can of worms with this post, bea175, I too was always a Denver Redfield man, I bought them rebuilt for pennies on the dollar with a lifetime warrenty from Gaines Chestnut when he was CEO at Redfield and I was a student at CST and remained loyal all the way to the late '80's.
There are other options now for me, Redfield is probably a very viable one as is Leupold, Kahles ,Swarovski and Leica the problem lies in the fact that i like fixed power and they are far and few now.
I am not bashing anyone's choice, all I did was ask for a comparison and I appreciate all replys and those that came today from a person in the form of a PM, albeit too late to do anything but boost my confidence in my decision to buy 2 Meoptas.
280 Ackleyrized had some good thing to say before the OP was made and I paid attention.
Every person has their preference as do I, but I have no brand loyalty anymore, I look for what fits my needs for the rifle I chose for the hunt.
I thank each and everyone that has responded to this post, and particulary Pete and 280 A.

CO School of Trades, Gunsmithing, '76
Clemson University '74
Go Tigers
IC B3

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Bwilliams1848
I wonder how the new vx6 will compare to the Meopta.

if the price isnt descent, i wont be compairing it to my meopta anyways

Loving life in the Great North West one day at a time.

sounds like its time for a new gun.
K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
I'm interested in the meopta 3-12x56 for a 35 whelen cva apex and a browning a bolt 270. My only concern is whether the meopta will have enough eye relief for the 35 whelen. If I did buy a Meopta it would be the 4B, however I don't know anyone with that Reticle and it concerns me that it may be too busy to able to use. I've only used a leupy with standard duplex. Anyone have any experience with the 4b Reticle? Any advice on the eye relief?

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Bwilliams, I have the 50mm version and find no problem with eye relief. Your CVA might be light enough to offer a nice kick, especially with 250g, but I would believe that 3.5" is just about right. Mine has the #4 reticle, which the thick posts of the reticle come in very close to the duplex, which I prefer. The duplex is hair thin (actual subtensions are impossible to find on the 'net). I can't speak for the 4B though.
Also it looks as if the 56mm is a first focal plane scope which may negate all that I just stated smile
But, I really love mine, it's a pleasure to look through every time. Mechanically, I can find a fault.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
Originally Posted by Bwilliams1848
I'm interested in the meopta 3-12x56 for a 35 whelen cva apex and a browning a bolt 270. My only concern is whether the meopta will have enough eye relief for the 35 whelen. If I did buy a Meopta it would be the 4B, however I don't know anyone with that Reticle and it concerns me that it may be too busy to able to use. I've only used a leupy with standard duplex. Anyone have any experience with the 4b Reticle? Any advice on the eye relief?

Long eye relief is no substitute for good shooting form.

I My buddy who purchased the meopta before me put it on a 9.3x62 steyr which is like a 35whelen on horse steroids. This is a fairly light rifle and neither he nor I had a problem with the scope catching us on the brow.

Can't comment on the 4b as my freinds and i have purchased 4C reticles which are great for hunting, not so great for the tightest group shooting due to the focal plane.

unfortunately we purchesed ours for 799, the price has gone up in many stores.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Is the VX6 supposed to be better than the vx3 and mk4 or just newer.(hopefully it is better at that price since the glass i've looked through has been overpriced) Even though I just spent a grand on a 40mm variable i can't say that i'll be in the market to do it again any time soon. I did it this time because of limited oppourtunity and nearly unanimous quality reviews.

it is kind of interestin, putting out a 6x mag variable to keep up with the 5 and 6 of other brands, but they did them all with 30mm tubes...interesting.

Last edited by jagd; 07/05/11. Reason: cuz i'm illiterate

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I am not familiar with the 4C. I have a Meopro with a 4, and I like the bolder outer lines, but the inner lines are very thin, and I wonder if you would be able to see them in dim conditions.

Regarding eye relief, the Meopros have nice long eye relief, and I have read the Meostars had the eye relief extended recently.

J
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
J
4C
[Linked Image]

4B
[Linked Image]

4K is like 4C but the actual crosshairs light up in the center, not just a dot. cant find a goodsized pic of one right now.

B
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
B
Unless I'm mistaken the new VX6 is supposed to replace the VX7 line as leupy's top end scope.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Be interested to see how things look through one at last light and in pre dawn hours. But I'd bet the 4-12x50mm Meopro will keep pace without breaking a sweat. And for about half the price. Leupold could become a viable option if they weren't so full of themselves. But like other product manufacturers, they are pricing themselves out of the market.

Crossed Arrows Archery LLC
Authorized Obsession Bows Dealer
Custom Strings/Tuning
www.crossedarrowsarcheryllc.com
Black Eagle Arrows Pro Staff, Montana Black Gold Shooting Staff, Dead Center Archery Products Shooting Staff
E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
Oh, I see. A VX3L is the same scope as a VX3. Even though the name is different.
You never did answer my questions of your focusing method or the fact that Leupolds test virtually as well under twilight conditions as they do in daylight.
Leupolds work fine at night or during twilight. Unless the operator does not know how to adjust them. E

Last edited by Eremicus; 07/06/11.
Page 3 of 4 1 2 3 4

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

550 members (1minute, 1234, 1badf350, 007FJ, 06hunter59, 10Glocks, 57 invisible), 2,476 guests, and 1,251 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,560
Posts18,491,767
Members73,972
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.