-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 16 of 30 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 29 30
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
This is from back before I got interested in all this old stuff. Life with the Thunderbirds SUX sometimes. I decided to break for lunch after flyin' in from Wright Patterson one day. I had a wrist watch RC controller so nobody was hurt and nothing was bent. The CO chewed on my butt a little though.

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

GB1

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I think I know how Swamp feels. Just like the unit on the right side of this pic... Life can be overwhelming sometimes.

[Linked Image]

I am..........disturbed.

Concerning the difference between man and the jackass: some observers hold that there isn't any. But this wrongs the jackass. -Twain

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
You girls don't bother me.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lots of old junk.

1st Special Operations Wing 1975-1983
919th Special Operations Wing 1983-1985 1993-1994

"Manus haec inimica tyrannis / Ense petit placidam sub libertate quietem" ~Algernon Sidney~
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
It appears someone might be close to havin' a stroke. Swamp even sez his self that "700 ML SUX Blue monkey butts".

Another convert to the old true path....I'm all misty eyed...

I am..........disturbed.

IC B2

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Is that a distant scream of anguish I hear? Faintly, ever so faintly in the distance????

I am..........disturbed.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Yep to all accounts, including the latter.

If three or more people think you're a dimwit, chances are at least one of them is right.
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by DigitalDan
Tell me, with more modern metallurgy and being able to machine to closer tolerances do the newer rifles shade the old ones by much, if any, given comparable sighting equipment?

Tough question that. My gut says it's an even race. Most of these things, given good handling, will shoot quite well. Difference in the rifles is probably small, and the necessity to be on top of the game is large. Especially when the wind blows. Record scores run in the single digit range for 20 shot strings as I recall, many of them very, very old.

As far as barrels go, which is the most important component of a MZ, hand lapping with a cast lead lap and an abrasive compound is what makes a great barrel. It doesn't require the lastest in technology to achieve extremely tight tolerences.

When did they first started hand lapping barrels? I don't have a clue.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
You said: "I worked on Rem's junk for years as a professional ..."

You work where ? Just exactly how many Remingtons have you fixed ? Your professional training was at ?

Amazing that the US Military got along for DECADES with a 700 as the primary sniper rifle. The USMC sniper platoon leader I roomed with during TET (you can look it up) had nothing but praise for the 700 and all the bad guys it had sent along to Viet-Cong heaven.

That 721 will still be filling freezers long after you are worm food.

B
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
B
as far as hand lapping goes, i normally just run 60 strokes of jb bore paste on a lightly oiled patch. Bergara Barrels really makes a good clean bore but you just never know if there may be a burr or something that the naked eye cant see. The jb paste does a really good job.

IC B3

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Harry Pope maintained that lapping a barrel wasn't necessary if one took the care that one should in reaming and rifling. Results from his barrels give mute testimony to that statement.

When y'all say you are lapping your bores, are you casting a lead slug on a rod and infusing it with lapping compound to be pushed through the bore? That I think is the classic definition (and overly simplified description) of lapping. To put something like JB Paste on a patch and pushing it back and forth through the bore is more properly called polishing, and doesn't provide the even removal of metal that a properly set up lap will.

When you stop and think about it, lapping or polishing by it's very nature removes metal. Granted, not much, but some. I wonder how many bores have had their accuracy lives shortened by overzealous lapping and or polishing. A tiny bit goes a long way.

Personally if I spent hundreds of hard earned dollars on a custom barrel and it arrived in a state requiring lapping or polishing, I would send it back with a request for a refund. On the other hand I wouldn't be surprised to learn that most barrel guys routinely lap/polish before delivering a barrel.

"You can lead a man to logic, but you cannot make him think." Joe Harz
"Always certain, often right." Keith McCafferty
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
+1 on that.

I am..........disturbed.

C
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
C
Thinkin' there might be enough interest in this stuff for a separate thread, what ya think? RB/Picket/Slug Rifles?

Damn right! Some of us here don't know everything and would like to learn a little more. Keep it coming.

G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
Yes a separate thread would be in order. It's not right to lump these fine rifles in with poking sharp sticks at buffoons.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
I only mentioned lapping in reference to the question of modern cnc machining methods vs old tech. There are hand "machining" methods that involve skilled craftsmanship that are extremely accurate. It's wasn't about hand lapping barrels in general.

In the hands of a true craftsman a lead lap is the most accurate method of finishing a barrel to achieve very fine tolerences. It can involve lapping before and after the barrel is rifled and it does, to a degree, make up for less than perfect machining. It's a low tech process that works and as far as I know isn't duplicated by any machine.

I was just throwing in a guess as to why the fine rifles DD posted are as accurate as modern rifles. As I said though, I don't know the history or details on how they were made.

And .... I wasn't, by any stretch, suggesting lapping a finished barrel.

Last edited by fish head; 07/08/11. Reason: sp
G
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
G
I hear you, and I wasn't implying that lapping/polishing is a bad thing necessarily- just when done improperly or when not needed.

C
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
C
if you all want to start a new thread , count me in . but i will not continue to banter on the subject of this post .

[Linked Image]
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by goodiewrench
Amazing that the US Military got along for DECADES with a 700 as the primary sniper rifle. The USMC sniper platoon leader I roomed with during TET (you can look it up) had nothing but praise for the 700 and all the bad guys it had sent along to Viet-Cong heaven.

That 721 will still be filling freezers long after you are worm food.

Flew F-105's for 3 tours in the Nam AND bunked with Marine Snipers... her imagination runneth deep...

The 721 may still feel freezers after Blackheart is gone but it won't be by your decrepit hands... Your clock is ticking Fool...

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Not a response to "I am a guide/I am an outfitter/I am not either"
as he is having a time out in the ignore room.

Rather just a general question,

Blackheart is silent. You don't suppose all that badmouthing Remingtons was just a baseless rant ?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Jealous that I am everything you always wanted to be and more...

2nd place doesn't mean you were second best... It means you were the first loser... Story of your useless existence Lawrence...

Page 16 of 30 1 2 14 15 16 17 18 29 30

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

598 members (160user, 2500HD, 10gaugemag, 257 mag, 1936M71, 06hunter59, 51 invisible), 2,637 guests, and 1,203 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,781
Posts18,477,104
Members73,942
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.