Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
nsaqam Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Went around and around about what scope mounts to get for my M70.

It came down the the known quantity of the Talley LW's or the unknown quantity of the S&K scopemounts.

I ended up ordering both.

Who's used the S&K's before and how'd you like them?

I really like the looks of the Conetrols I have on my 700 KS but wanted to try the S&K's since IMO the bases are even better looking than the Conetrol bases.

The Talley LW's are stupid strong and retard simple but they look like hell.

I'll likely list the loser in my little competition here on the classifieds.

The Chosin Few November to December 1950, Korea.
I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
GB1

A
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
A
Ken, I have a hunting partner in MT who uses them, they look great and are easier to set up than Conetrols, I'm sure you will be happy with them!

H
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
H
Here they are on my 1958 M70 300 H&H SG,( lower rifle) so far I'm liking them.
[Linked Image]

O
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
O
I have the S & K...and like them. I also have Conetrols(s).about 4-5 mounts..and like the S
&K better

I don't always venture out into the sub-freezing darkness, but when I do, it is deer hunting season, and I carry a Remington. Stay hungry my friends.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have yet to run a set.
But I have been over to the shop.
Met the guy and talked.Hes very knowledgeable and I found that they make scope mounts for just about everything.
Seems like a good guy to deal with.
First rate machinest.
Just waiting for the right project to try a set.

dave

[Linked Image]

Only accurate rifles are interesting.
IC B2

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
I had a set on a nice '03 sorter - all steel and not the lightest (but a 50's vintage '03 sporter ain't gonna be a fly-weight no-how). My FIL has one of the scout mount setups on a Nagant anb it is a superior setup, very rugged...makes the B-square setup look like a booger.

Psalm 19:14-May these words of my mouth and this meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.
_
Humble servant of Jesus Christ. Living His plan and praying to show it in name, word, body, and light.
nsaqam Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Thanks guys.

I appreciate all the responses so far.

Handwerk, superb rifles there! I really like the looks of the projectionless rings whether they're Conetrol or S&K.

I'm not one of the Chosin Few but no more remarkable group of Americans ever existed.
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I have one set currently, on a LH M70, and will be getting another set for an upcoming LH M70 project. I really like them! A great combination of light weight, looks and strength.

After years of using Talley LWs, I doubt I'll ever buy another set. They are light... and that's about it.

Originally Posted by Llama_Bob
I've seen more well-shot game lost with TSXs than any other premium bullet.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular

Not the most up to date photo, the scope's now a VX3 2.5-8, but...
[Linked Image]

nsaqam Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Sweet Wrongside!

Mine are going on a LH M70 too.

What stock is that?

I'm considering a McMillan Hunter's EDGE or the Bansner (High Tech Specialties) for mine.

IC B3

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Thanks! I like it a ton.

The stock is a McMillan Compact Hunter's EDGE. I like it enough that I have another one ready for the next project. That stock helps to keep the weight down around 7.4 pounds w/ sling, no rounds.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I just picked up a new set of the S&K Kontoured bases and rings for a lightweight M94 swede I'm having reworked. They're kinda spendy but they sure look nice.

nsaqam Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Happy B'day LD!!

Mine should get here Thursday or Friday.

$73 for M70 bases and low rings.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I didn't even notice the cake. Those rings and bases, along with getting it drilled and tapped and the rear hump removed was my BD present to myself. I got the rings and bases thru Brownells and they were over $100. Sure look nice.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I've used all three systems (SKulptured bases & rings, Conetrol & Talley LWs) and I prefer either LWs or Conetrol. I presently have 4 rifles with LWs (another set is coming from Talley--they are drilling them for 8X40 base screws) 2 sets of Conetrol bases & rings and a single set of S&K bases and rings sitting on the bench for the present. The S&K bases/rings are not nearly as light as the LWs and IMO the S&K rings are not nearly as good looking as the Conetrol rings. Regardless which set up you choose, I doubt you'll be disappointed.

Originally Posted by Mule Deer
Suck bullets simply suck.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Using them on CZ550 and Husqvarna 1640, like them a lot for skulpted look on those rifles, bit leaner to the eye. Like S&K for sorta traditional-looking rifles. Like the setscrew windage adj. for setup. Hunted the CZ last year, no issues (or deer). Using conetrol on a sako, think those bases would be nice on a M70, just not a fan of the kinda bubbly shaped rings. Haven't warmed up the LW's.

Golldammed motion detector lights. A guy can’t even piss off his porch in peace any more.

"Look, I want to help the helpless. It's the clueless I don't give a [bleep] about." - Dennis Miller on obamacare.

T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T

Put a set of S&K's on a friends Pre '64 Mod70 similar to handwerk's, except a two screw rear base. Scope slid back a skosh first range trip out, put a little rubber cement under rings; so far holding like a champ with no movement. 30-06 BTW

Rem Ti w/centered front base. Not as light as Talley's, but not heavy weights either.

[Linked Image]

"I predict future happiness for Americans if they can prevent the government from wasting the labors of the people under the pretense of taking care of them." - Thomas Jefferson
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Those are halfway between Talley LW and the Leupold DD.

Talleys typically go about 2 oz. per pair and the dual dovetails run 4 onces per pair, that's including bases.

This is for lows, btw, obviously medium or highs will weigh a tad more.

Gunnery, gunnery, gunnery.
Hit the target, all else is twaddle!
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

I have a set on my 30-06 and have had zero probelms.

[Linked Image]

Randy
NRA
Patriot Life Benefactor

nsaqam Offline OP
Campfire Ranger
OP Offline
Campfire Ranger
Well I just got my package from Brownells containing both the S&K Kontoured bases and low rings and a set of Talley LW extended lows.
Put them on my scale and the S&K set weighs 3.2 oz. while the Talleys weigh 2.3 oz.

I'm going to install the S&K's and if they work the way I think they will then the Talleys will be sold here in the Classifieds.

I'll take some pics too.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

182 members (2ndwind, 10gaugemag, 338reddog, 450yukon, 1_deuce, 45_100, 34 invisible), 2,217 guests, and 1,068 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,191,387
Posts18,469,704
Members73,931
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.