Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
incan: It used to be made in USA, then they started making it in Canada. Didn't know they started making it south of the border. crazy

GB1

S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have used them both for years, I have all KOM stuff but for Indian bomber hat , lucky hat! as i out grew the KOM stuff I bsold it and bought bigger new syn. kom I didnt like it and sold it all after one season, have replaced it with the older stuff, have a heavy set, blowdown, and a liter pair of pants and a trapper pull over,in the green! iam 53 and this should last me till I cant hunt anymore! screw the new stuff!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
I have both; my KOM is about 8-9 years old.

I like SI better,,,always have.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
B
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
B
Good info by BobinNH posted earlier. I bought a set of SI at least 15 years ago. I wear it during the Nov. MN. deer season which is an all day treestand endeavor. I have taken a couple of the garments to New Mexico, Colorado and AK. They are heavy and are too warm when you are in elevation and hiking.

SI branched off from KOM when there was a difference of opinion.
If you take care of the clothing and do not gain weight, it will outlast you! While there are other synthetic technical clothes, they are also very expensive and have an unknown longevity. Remember when Gore Tex became the rage?

Wool is the 7x57 of hunt clothing while the new synthetics are the wizzums of the clothing world. There is room for both.

My home is the "sanctuary residence" for my firearms.
Campfire Kahuna
Online Content
Campfire Kahuna
It would be way too warm for me. I wear light milsurp wool dress pants that are good down to about 20. Poly pro long johns under those go down another 20 to 30 degrees. I've never been cold in them. They cost $10/pair. They aren't pretty, BTW.
On top, I wear a good wool or wool blend shirt, Woolrich or something else that's washable (no dry cleaning for me), and a light weight, packable synthetic jacket. I have an uninsulated fleece waterproof parka to put over it all if the wind or rain kick up. I've kept plenty warm in that combo down to -20 with wind.

β€œIn a time of deceit telling the truth is a revolutionary act.”
― George Orwell

It's not over when you lose. It's over when you quit.
IC B2

B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
I have a Bushman shirt I bought for cold weather in Canada stand hunting. I bought it a size larger than I normally wear and use wool , Ulffrotte underwear, the actic fishermen use. Then if is really cold I use a light weight down jacket from Cabelas under the Bushman shirt. Plenty of room to more, very warm and quiet. Wool stays warm if it gets wet! I woulds buy it again as my main piece to layer around. Another must is a hat/balacava with nose and mouth breathing holes. You stop a lot of heat loss with this. I use a synthetic one I bought for $20+ dollars. Buckfever1

C
Campfire Greenhorn
Campfire Greenhorn
C
One thing I have noticed on most "wool vs. synthetics"-type threads is where people are from and/or where they hunt. When I hunted whitetails in Michigan and Wisconsin I used mostly wool; Woolrich Malone pants, Woolrich red/black coat, Sorel boots, etc. Hunting in the west requires a totally different strategy because of the exertion levels required even if walking slowly. The only time you really need warmth is when you stop to glass for a period of time or if it is REALLY cold.

I love wool and how it feels and as someone earlier said, I hate plastic clothing. But if you go with wool for the west, lighter-weight stuff works the best. I have gone to whipcord pants for the quietness of wool, and still wear my LL Bean wool shirt. After that, it's layers of polarfleece and a down vest for me. Heavier wool is just to much to carry on my pack.

A
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
A
The best wool in the world is Merino. The Australian and New Zealand economies were built on it untill they foolishly tried to "help" under privaleged countries by giving them stock and intillectual property to generate what is now competition.

I recommend you take a look at a NZ company called Swan Dri. Locally it is pronounced "Swanny". They make a range of garments made of pre-shrunk Merino wool.

John

When truth is ignored, it does not change an untruth from remaining a lie.
B
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
B
Originally Posted by COmarshrat
One thing I have noticed on most "wool vs. synthetics"-type threads is where people are from and/or where they hunt. When I hunted whitetails in Michigan and Wisconsin I used mostly wool; Woolrich Malone pants, Woolrich red/black coat, Sorel boots, etc. Hunting in the west requires a totally different strategy because of the exertion levels required even if walking slowly. The only time you really need warmth is when you stop to glass for a period of time or if it is REALLY cold.

I love wool and how it feels and as someone earlier said, I hate plastic clothing. But if you go with wool for the west, lighter-weight stuff works the best. I have gone to whipcord pants for the quietness of wool, and still wear my LL Bean wool shirt. After that, it's layers of polarfleece and a down vest for me. Heavier wool is just to much to carry on my pack.

I agree with COmarshrat....the heavy wool stuff stays at home for most western state hunting....for me it's the exertion and that dry air and strong mid day sunshine,which makes it uncomfortably hot.

Cold damp,snowy conditions,wool is great....I leave a set of Malone bibs in Wyoming for when it gets that way,which it sometimes does.

The 280 Remington is overbore.

The 7 Rem Mag is over bore.
S
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
S
I have a Swan DRi top also! great stuff but it runs small, I ware a Xl-XXl and have to have a 3X top!

Deer Camp! about as good as it gets!
IC B3

D
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
D
I just cannot believe anyone would spend $360 on a pair of pants...I have a pair of Codets, and pair of Cabelas that have lasted years, and were like $40.

J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
I have started threads on the KOM stuff at least a few times. I eventually got a BushShirt off a member here. I really love the camo pattern, as most do.

But is it worth $267 or more? Not to me. I have had the Columbia Gallatin wool shirt. It's VERY impressive(to me) for $74 vs $300. Your mileage may vary. Obviously others like it. I don't dislike it at all. But I am not seeing several hundred dollars worth of difference.

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
I
I
Actually the KOM Bushman shirt is $367 now.

C
C
Originally Posted by Jesse Jaymes
I have started threads on the KOM stuff at least a few times. I eventually got a BushShirt off a member here. I really love the camo pattern, as most do.

But is it worth $267 or more? Not to me. I have had the Columbia Gallatin wool shirt. It's VERY impressive(to me) for $74 vs $300. Your mileage may vary. Obviously others like it. I don't dislike it at all. But I am not seeing several hundred dollars worth of difference.

While I think the Sleeping Indian and King of the Mountain wool products look great, they are cost prohibitive to me. I agree with what is said above...I have the Columbia Gallatin wool series, and Cabelas Whipcord pants and have to say that I'm very happy. I hunt Western Colorado and I've been very comfortable in all weather conditions in this gear. I do make sure that I keep a set of un-lined gore-tex rain gear on hand.

Seems to me that $800-1000 is better spent elsewhere in my hunting obsession.

- Randy

D
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
D
I have some of the Cabela's wool camo pants and have used them for the last couple of years. They seem pretty good so far, for way less money. They are also heavy, however.

A
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
A
I had a Columbia Gallatin wool suit and it was pretty comfortable and reasonably well made. However, a cold wind would cut through it pretty well and I would get cold sitting on my stand after a while. I have a set of the Browning Highland wool now and I like it better. It has a wind blocking layer built into it. It also had a removable hood which the Columbia did not. My brother ordered some sort of high end wool suit (I can't remember which brand) so I'll be interested to compare it to the Browning this fall.

L
Campfire Outfitter
Online Content
Campfire Outfitter
L
As far as a value, I'd say KOM is pretty good stuff. I've had lots of it and sold off much of it but I still have my Bomber hat (3/1989) Bunwarmer pants (6/1994) and hooded, uninsulated sweatshirt (9/1999) and wouldn't sell them for twice what I paid.

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I have the Columbia Gallatin wool pants and Browning highland wool parka. Love them both! The Columbia pants are almost too hot for most of my hunting, but when the temp drops they are worth their weight for sure!

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm sitting here on about the 16th 102+ day since I returned from Colorado and you guys are talking wool! Just couldn't get into this thread--check back with me in October...

Ben

Some days it takes most of the day for me to do practically nothing...
J
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
J
As a near Bootheel transplant, I can't say I envy you. We did a 3D shoot up here today and it was 48 when we started the shoot. Still nice and "toasty" right now at 82.

Please God, give me some good tags this year....
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

578 members (16gage, 10gaugeman, 10ring1, 10gaugemag, 12344mag, 52 invisible), 2,488 guests, and 1,269 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,193,051
Posts18,501,050
Members73,987
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.