-->
Previous Thread
Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Hey guys, missed you all. I'm on leave right now to fly down to Florida to see the space shuttle launch. I want to get as close to the launch as possible. Wondering if anyone from the area has any advice. I know it will be crazy down thwre, expecting about a million people to come watch.

Semper Fidelis

Campfire Outfitter
Online Confused
Campfire Outfitter
Excellent! Please post pics if you make any.

GOA
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Been wondering about you...don't be such a stranger.

The only thing worse than a liberal is a liberal that thinks they're a conservative.
T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
That's IF the shuttle launches on schedule. My daughter took vacation for the last launch....and then they kept delaying it until she had to go home.

No wonder they are canceling the program....even trains can run on time mostly......but not the "peak" of our technology.

I hate change, it's never for the better.... Grumpy Old Men
The more I learn, the more I realize how little I know
B
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
B
Weather not looking good for a launch, supposed to be big rain storms coming

IC B2

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
They delay a launch when it isn't safe to go. Would you have it otherwise?

Shootinglady, there is a launch schedule and list of viewing sites on this WEBSITE

Good luck!

Cleverly disguised as a responsible adult.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Hey SL, GREAT to see you posting, you are missed around these parts Ma'am.

You will get a great view of the launch any where withing 50 miles of KSC. I can see the fire trail all the way over here if it ain't overcast.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
I'm in Florida !!!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Allow me to be the first to congratulate you on seeing it, SL. I know positively that you were gobsmacked by the experience.

Campfire Tracker
OP Offline
Campfire Tracker
Omg. That. was. amazing!

I didn't get much as far as photos, I decided to leave that to the professionals with the professional equipment so I could actually live in the moment of it happening instead of watching it through a camera screen.

IC B3

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
That's exciting, I tried to watch here on the TV, but missed actual lift off. The local station actually went to a commercial with 7 seconds left on the count down. There was a quick WTF?!?!? moment. Which left me searching for a new channel to watch and I caught them just after lift off. Time to go let the air out of some tires in the CBS parking lot.

Deal with it.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by ShootingLady
Hey guys, missed you all. I'm on leave right now to fly down to Florida to see the space shuttle launch. I want to get as close to the launch as possible. Wondering if anyone from the area has any advice. I know it will be crazy down thwre, expecting about a million people to come watch.

Semper Fidelis

Good that your going to see it. I watched a local news program this AM. With one of the heads of Arnold Engineering & Development Center here in the mid state, talking about the research, engineering and testing, that went on over the years there, with the shuttle program.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
SL, tell us where you were and a few more of your impressions - such as what you felt when the sound hit you.

I witnessed almost 30 launches from the press site, and from three miles away, the very ground moves with the rumble. You can actually feel your innards moving. Unforgettable.

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Good for you, SL. We got to see the launch in June 2008. Watched it from a city park in Titusville - basically straight west of KSC. Took a few pics, but too far away to see any detail.

Here is one pic . . . note : it was a long way off (10 miles +/- maybe?) and the sound still shook the ground.

[Linked Image]

Someday I hope to be the person my dogs think I am . . .
The only true cost of having a dog is its death.
Someone once said "a nation of sheep will beget a government of wolves."
Shiloh Sharps . . . there is no substitute.
NRA Endowment Member
R
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
R
Shame I didn't know earlier... probalby could have hooked ya up to an airboat out in the marsh as close as allowed...

Glad ya got to see it though!

Good to hear from ya again too!

Jeff

We can keep Larry Root and all his idiotic blabber and user names on here, but we can't get Ralph back..... Whiskey Tango Foxtrot, over....
C
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
C
Originally Posted by RockyRaab
SL, tell us where you were and a few more of your impressions - such as what you felt when the sound hit you.

I witnessed almost 30 launches from the press site, and from three miles away, the very ground moves with the rumble. You can actually feel your innards moving. Unforgettable.

Good News SL
I was hoping for you that it would go today.

When you get time , please tell us all about it.

"wanna hear God laugh? Tell Him you have complete control now!"
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Originally Posted by ShootingLady
Hey guys, missed you all. I'm on leave right now to fly down to Florida to see the space shuttle launch. I want to get as close to the launch as possible. Wondering if anyone from the area has any advice. Semper Fidelis

Put an MP arm band on. Carry a stick and start moving to the front whacking people on the elbow as you go. Repeatedly holler out, "CHESTINE PULLER COMIN' THROUGH!,.....MAKE WAYYYYYY!,....MAKE WAYYYYYYY!!"

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Congrats SL, I was unable to see it from here due to overcast, I was quite disappointed.

If you wander down the west coast gimmie a shout, I'll spring for lunch.

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In the middle sixties I lived in Jacksonville and I took t5he wife and my two boys down to Titusville and camped out on the causeway to watch one of the Apollo launches and it was absolutely stunning to see even then. So it must have been even more so watching a shuttle launch. Let's just say that you just don't get the full effect of a launch unless you are there, TV coverage doesn't do justice the atmosphere of a launch.

de 73's Archie - W7ACT

[Linked Image]

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

642 members (10gaugemag, 160user, 10ring1, 12344mag, 007FJ, 1234, 74 invisible), 2,886 guests, and 1,357 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,232
Posts18,485,687
Members73,966
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.