Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I am ready to buy a scope for my Rem LVSF 22-250. It is gonna be a Zeiss Conquest 4.5-14x44 or a Leupold VX3 4.5-14x50.I plan on using it for coyote hunting. Which is better? Any info would be help-ful. Thanks Tom.

GB1

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Zeiss, I have had both and it's not even close to me.

1 and done
T
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
T
Zeiss... better optics, clearer in low light.... better scope all around

K
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
K
Leupold and Zeiss each have their places. For your purpose, that conquest would be hard to pass up. However, I really, really like the 10.5oz Leupold 6x36 for lightweight rifles

E
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
E
Like the previous posters, I have had both models you mention and would choose the Zeiss Conquest hands down. I find that as I age, I need clarity and superb resolution to clearly make those longer shots at small targets. The Zeiss does that for me. It addition to the optics and features the Zeiss 4-14 gives you, I find the Zeiss scopes track perfectly. So perfectly it takes the challenge out of zeroing the scope! I could never say this about any Leupold I have ever owned. This isn't intended to start a flaming war.....just my honest experience.

IC B2

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
If you're looking to save ounces (about 2-3 that is) go with the Leupold. If not and you want better optics, go with the Zeiss.

E
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
E
The best information I have from testers who understand how to test indicates that the Leupold VX3 line is every bit as sharp as the Zeiss Conquests. We apparently still have some that believe that all you can focus with a Leupold is the reticle but not the image.
With the new dual spring adjustment dials, the VX3's track as well as anything.
That particular Leupold is a 50mm vs. a 44mm Zeiss. That means it can use more magnification under low light conditions and thus see further than the Conquest can.
Leupolds also have other desirable features. Their oculars lock and don't change nearly as fast once set. This is nice for those of us that have had such thing move on us while packing the rifle. Nobody wants to try a quick shot with an out of focus image.
The other is the fact that the VX3's use super hard coatings which resist degradation of the scope's fine optics from cleaning and abuse.
And let's not forget the differences in eye relief and eye box. Both are better on the Leupold. E

P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by Eremicus
The best information I have from testers who understand how to test indicates that the Leupold VX3 line is every bit as sharp as the Zeiss Conquests. We apparently still have some that believe that all you can focus with a Leupold is the reticle but not the image.
With the new dual spring adjustment dials, the VX3's track as well as anything.
That particular Leupold is a 50mm vs. a 44mm Zeiss. That means it can use more magnification under low light conditions and thus see further than the Conquest can.
Leupolds also have other desirable features. Their oculars lock and don't change nearly as fast once set. This is nice for those of us that have had such thing move on us while packing the rifle. Nobody wants to try a quick shot with an out of focus image.
The other is the fact that the VX3's use super hard coatings which resist degradation of the scope's fine optics from cleaning and abuse.
And let's not forget the differences in eye relief and eye box. Both are better on the Leupold. E
e you think you know everything and leupold is the best. get over it. you know nothing and everyone wishes you would go away. that goes for optics talk as well

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
The Leupold is not every bit as sharp as the Zeiss... I have never had leupolds track as well as Zeiss and I have owned alot of them. The zeiss has better glass, tracks better,etched reticle and a side by side comparison of the two is not even close in favor of the Zeiss. Compare them side by side and see for yourself how much difference there really is. E I am not sure how you could be more way off. But I do like your determination about hunting, we just have a huge difference of opinion when it comes to scopes.I have heard alot of complaining about Leupolds the last couple years and really think Leupold needs to step it up to compete with the quality of some of the others.

1 and done
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
My experiences in the matter are that the Conquest will be clearer, brighter, and track great. Unless you are building lightweights the Conquest is the way to go at the price point.

The CENTER will hold.

Reality, Patriotism,Trump: you can only pick two

FÜCK PUTIN!
IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Lots of Zeiss lovers here!

I've heard from those who know because precision scope mounting is their business, that the Zeiss Conquest is about the worst they've tested in regard to click values, reticle subtensions.

ie. when you dial 7 MOA does the reticle move precisely 7 MOA?

There's a lot more to a scope than glass clarity. It needs to function properly so's you can hit what you're shooting at!

Originally Posted by Bristoe
The people wringing their hands over Trump's rhetoric don't know what time it is in America.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
The Zeiss Conquests that I've used all seem to pass the box test with flying colors...

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by highridge1
E I am not sure how you could be more way off.....

He's only guessing about the Zeiss Conquest. He was even offered by many to "test" a Conquest and he declined. That allows him to remain in the dark.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Zeiss. The end.

Teach every child you meet the importance of forgiveness. It's our only hope of surviving their wrath once they realize just how badly we've screwed things up for them.
P
Campfire Member
Campfire Member
P
Originally Posted by RDFinn
Originally Posted by highridge1
E I am not sure how you could be more way off.....

He's only guessing about the Zeiss Conquest. He was even offered by many to "test" a Conquest and he declined. That allows him to remain in the dark.
e is a blowhard azz hole

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'll buck the trend, 3.5-10x40 VX3 with M1 vertical turret.

F
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
F
Never done a box test with my Zeiss' but I have shot from 100, to 500, to 200, to 700 to 100 and the turrets always hitting where need be!

That said, my predator AR has a Leupold on it (just because I personally cant justify that much scope on a predator rifle). But my serious big game rifls all wear Zeiss.

I am a Zeiss man through and through. The 4.5-14x44 with added turrets is THE gift of the optics God to hunters everywhere.

M
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
M
Originally Posted by rcamuglia
Lots of Zeiss lovers here!

I've heard from those who know because precision scope mounting is their business, that the Zeiss Conquest is about the worst they've tested in regard to click values, reticle subtensions.

ie. when you dial 7 MOA does the reticle move precisely 7 MOA?

There's a lot more to a scope than glass clarity. It needs to function properly so's you can hit what you're shooting at!

I have never owned a Zeiss that was anything but precisely on the money whether it moved inches per click or centimeters per click. I have never heard of one that did not either. I have heard of a couple that broke and couldn't adjust properly.

Names these people who know please.

M
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
M
I know one Conquest that doesn't track. Last week a friend of mine who doesn't shoot much asked me to help him sight in his rifle. He had burned up a couple boxes of ammo trying to get it set 3" high at 100. He has a Zeiss Conquest variable that tops out at 10X. Long story short-the crosshairs don't always move when you turn the knobs. When I saw what was going on I had him turn it up a couple minutes past where he wanted it and then come back down to the new setting. That worked.

The scope is a fine piece of glass and its nice to look through but it doesn't track!

M
Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
M
In my tests, on average several Conquests have been slightly brighter and sharper than several VX-3's, but it's close enough that there's some overlap.

Same deal with the adjustments. Both have been pretty darn repeatable, but how closely each click matches the advertised amount has varied a little.

The Conquests have been a little better in consistent eye relief from low to high magnification, but the VX-3's have been fine there too. The most variation I've measured is about 3/4" from high to low, with the X-3's closer to 1/2", which is meaningless.

The Leupolds weigh somewhat less, which may or may not be important to some hunters.

“Montana seems to me to be what a small boy would think Texas is like from hearing Texans.”
John Steinbeck
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

513 members (10gaugemag, 01Foreman400, 1234, 160user, 10gaugeman, 12344mag, 68 invisible), 2,415 guests, and 1,233 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,320
Posts18,487,413
Members73,969
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.