Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
S
Campfire Regular
OP Offline
Campfire Regular
S
I've owned a lot of different handguns over the years but I think that I would like to buy my first 1911. It will likely be a full size 5" barrel model. I don't have any plans to carry this gun, so it will mostly be used at the range.

I think I would like either the Kimber Custom TLE II or the Sig 1911 Stainless or Nitron. I can probably buy either of these for under $1,000. Would it be worth spending a little more for a Les Baer Ultimate Tactical Carry or a Thunder Ranch, which is more in the $1700 range?

I understand that you get what you pay for, but what are some of the benefits over the Kimber/Sig should I expect to see by spending a little more for the Baer?

The Kimber seems to have a good reputation, the Sig seems to be well made and pretty, the Baer seems to be a little lower priced than some of the other custom makers, are there any other models I should be looking at?

GB1

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
In the $1000 price range, I think Colt has the best batting average, IMO, and I think you will be well pleased one at the range. I believe S&W and Sig also have a good reputation, but I lean toward the new Colts. I do own a Kimber, too, but would rank them below Sigs and S&W's.

Baers are special things, too. There is a perceptible difference in precision - yet they also run reliably.

"...the designer of the .270 Ingwe cartridge!..."

O
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
O
If you've got the means, then go with a Baer or other high end semi-custom. In the $1000 range I agree that new Colts are the way to go.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Colt, Sig, or Springfield should get the job done. Just make sure you have adjustable sights.

Don't vote knothead, it only encourages them. Anonymous

"Never underestimate the power of stupid people in large groups." Anonymous

"Self-reliance, free thinking, and wealth is anathema to both the power of the State and the Church." Derby Dude

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Kimbers have MUCH better tolerances, much better triggers, generally better accuracy out of the box and far better out of the box equipment than a Colt. Colt has only the famous name and logo. For under $1,000, Kimber all the way.

for more than that, spend what you want but it is DEFINATELY a case of diminishing returns. If you really want to and can spend more than an even grand, get a higher end Kimber, especially one with Crimson Trace Lazer grips. Even these models will be less than $1,700 by quite a margin.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
IC B2

T
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
T
Dan Wesson Valor, you won't be dissapointed!!!

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
Springfield is a good option. The Loaded model is particularly enticing for your price range. The SIG is a nice looking piece, but I've never owned one and can't comment directly. Colt's are overpriced and $1000 is getting in at the low end of their 1911 series.

This next may not make sense. I'd avoid Kimber's because I've heard of too many people having to send them back endlessly to get them right. They are a high-dollar gun for a production piece and should run well right out of the box. I've never owned one though. I have owned a Taurus and it was great, especially if you want a rail, which is not a bad idea. I only traded it because I had a Springfield and didn't need two 1911's and I wanted another gun more than a second 1911. I could honestly see little difference between it and the Springfield. I have heard some bad stuff from dealers about Taurus', but have owned three and still have one. I've never had a bad experience with them.

Ruger has a new 1911 out which is getting good reports, especially on this forum. It has only been out a couple of months though and I think you need about a year to wring out the glitches and see what's what. Unless you're adventurous, that is. You sound like you want one that is proven and you're in it for the long haul. I'd recommend the Springfield Loaded as my top pick with the Taurus coming in hard on its heels, especially if $1000 is your absolute top end and you'd really like to spend less. If you don't like it you can trade it and probably not be out over $100.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=241066078#PIC

Try this one on Gunbroker. I bought an NM coded Springfield Loaded Stainless from this dealer. It's my second Springfield Loaded, and for the money they're hard to beat; well under $1,000 too. The one I bought has low profile Novak sights; this one has target sights. He said he had 3 more like the one I bought. Jeff

Retired and Loving It!!
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ
T
Campfire Sage
Campfire Sage
T
Originally Posted by TomSmith
I've owned a lot of different handguns over the years but I think that I would like to buy my first 1911. It will likely be a full size 5" barrel model. I don't have any plans to carry this gun, so it will mostly be used at the range.

I think I would like either the Kimber Custom TLE II or the Sig 1911 Stainless or Nitron. I can probably buy either of these for under $1,000. Would it be worth spending a little more for a Les Baer Ultimate Tactical Carry or a Thunder Ranch, which is more in the $1700 range?

I understand that you get what you pay for, but what are some of the benefits over the Kimber/Sig should I expect to see by spending a little more for the Baer?

The Kimber seems to have a good reputation, the Sig seems to be well made and pretty, the Baer seems to be a little lower priced than some of the other custom makers, are there any other models I should be looking at?
Les Baers are excellent. I have their SRP, and it's flawless. Besides that, their parts are all forged steel, no MIM. Of the others you've mentioned, I like the Kimber Custom TLE, but if the II designation means that it has an external extractor instead of the internal one that God and J.M.B. intended, then I'd pass if I were you. Kimber had a lot of problems with their external extractor models. If it has an internal extractor, though, the TLE is the best Kimber model they ever made. Has MIM parts (as do most 1911s out there, which is why they don't all cost $1,700.00 or more), but of the MIM parts guns, it's a great one. What you'd be paying extra for with the Les Baer would be the extra hands-on time by a skilled custom gunsmith, and all parts being made from forged steel.

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Here's some reference info on Colts:

Materials used in Colt's pistols:

Made From Forged Steel:

Slide, Frame, Barrel

Made From Machined Barstock:

Barrel Bushing, Slide Stop, Extractor, Ejector, Firing Pin, Hammer, Recoil Plug, Barrel Link, Plunger Tube, Grip Screw Bushings, Sights, Series 80 Plunger, All Pins

Investment Cast:

Thumb Safety, Grip Safety, Mainspring Housing (Series 70 Models)

Stamped Steel:

Firing Pin Stop, Leaf Springs, Series 80 Actuation Levers, Trigger Bow (alloy or steel finger pad)

MIM (Metal Injection Molded):

Magazine Catch, Mag Catch Lock, Sear, Disconnector

Molded Nylon:

Mainspring Housing (Series 80 1991 Models)

link:

http://forums.1911forum.com/showthread.php?t=15201

IC B3

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Originally Posted by safariman
Kimbers have MUCH better tolerances, much better triggers, generally better accuracy out of the box and far better out of the box equipment than a Colt. Colt has only the famous name and logo. For under $1,000, Kimber all the way.

for more than that, spend what you want but it is DEFINATELY a case of diminishing returns. If you really want to and can spend more than an even grand, get a higher end Kimber, especially one with Crimson Trace Lazer grips. Even these models will be less than $1,700 by quite a margin.

I will have to respectfully disagree here - I have owned or shot 5 different Kimbers, and 2 of that 5 were not reliable. The one I have left, a 10mm, is an okay, fun pistol, but a little tempermental about magazines. The most expensive gun I have ever bought was a Kimber Gold Match, which had several problems and was sold in favor of a Gold Cup. The GC was just as accurate, totally reliable, and cost $500 less. I'm not saying all Kimbers are junk, but other brands seem to have better rates of happy owners. KImber's big claimed to fame is they don't rattle when shaken - but that one feature does not guarantee reliability, or accuracy.

[Linked Image]

J
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
J
I have had two Kimber's the full size stainless gun ran fine, sold it as it was heavy to carry and got a 4 inch alloy Kimber with a digital laser grip, the gun would about once every box or two of shells not go into full battery, replaced the springs with Wolf recoil springs and it runs just fine, the Kimber springs are not strong enough for this pistol. I have owned several Colts, some have worked and some have not, Colt has no monopoly on success, nor does Kimber, SIG etc.

JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
In the $1,000 range I don't think there's a $100 difference between the usual suspects. I have my preferences, but that's all they are. There are things I like and don't like about them all.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
JOG Offline
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Kimbers have MUCH better tolerances, much better triggers, generally better accuracy out of the box and far better out of the box equipment than a Colt. Colt has only the famous name and logo.

I'm speechless, which is probably a good thing.

Forgive me my nonsense, as I also forgive the nonsense of those that think they talk sense.
Robert Frost
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I'm no expert, but I would have to say that for $1000+ you'll likely not go wrong with whatever you pick.

I recently bought a new Kimber Pro Crimson Carry on Gunbroker for $955 + $25 shipping + $25 to my FFL. So it was in my hands for $1005. It runs flawlessly with Kimber mags (the one that came with the gun and with KimPro Tac Mags). Safariman has the same gun (I think). Jamie has the 5" Crimson Carry and he is having no issues with his.

And again, I'm not saying that Kimbers are the best or even the best value for your money. Rather, I think you'll be happy with the TLE if that's the route you choose.

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by Waders
I'm no expert, but I would have to say that for $1000+ you'll likely not go wrong with whatever you pick.

I recently bought a new Kimber Pro Crimson Carry on Gunbroker for $955 + $25 shipping + $25 to my FFL. So it was in my hands for $1005. It runs flawlessly with Kimber mags (the one that came with the gun and with KimPro Tac Mags). Safariman has the same gun (I think). Jamie has the 5" Crimson Carry and he is having no issues with his.

And again, I'm not saying that Kimbers are the best or even the best value for your money. Rather, I think you'll be happy with the TLE if that's the route you choose.

Maybe its just the WA Kimbers that shoot properly .... it seems with 1911's on the HG forum is a LOT like Leupold-Zeiss on the Optics forum.

George
Associate Gypsy
Order of Sleepless Knights

Originally Posted by GOD
... That is when I carried you ...
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
I tend to avoid the Optics Forum, but I can guess what you're implying! smile

Hopefully, "1911 Holy War" won't break out here! smile

Wade

"Let's Roll!" - Todd Beamer 9/11/01.
M
Campfire Ranger
Online Content
Campfire Ranger
M
Tom,

As you can see, people are all over the map when it comes to making recommendations.

Rather than give you a brand recommendation,

I would suggest that you visit the Brian Enos forum.

http://www.brianenos.com/forums/index.php?act=idx

This is a forum where IPSC shooters hang out.

With respect to our friends here at the campfire, no group of sport shooters runs their 1911s harder than your top class IPSC guys.

Spending some time reading posts there and asking some questions from guys who burn 30k to 50K rounds a year through their 1911s will likely give you some food for thought.

With that in mind, I know we have some competition shooters here as well and some very informed and experienced individuals, but a visit to the other forum might cut through a lot of huffing and puffing.

In regards to 1911s, a casual sport shooter will never shoot in a lifetime, what an average A class competition shooter will shoot in one year.

Knowing what I know now, with more 1911 manufacturers to choose from, and more discretionary funds available, for me the choice would be a no brainer. When I first started shooting IPSC my options were limited.

Due to career issues I have not been able to participate in IPSC for a while now, but it is still a great way to wring out any flaws in equipment in short order.

Cheers

THE CHAIR IS AGAINST THE WALL.

The Tikka T3 in .308 Winchester is the Glock 19 of the rifle world.

The website is up and running!

www.lostriverammocompany.com

Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by tex_n_cal

I will have to respectfully disagree here - I have owned or shot 5 different Kimbers, and 2 of that 5 were not reliable. The one I have left, a 10mm, is an okay, fun pistol, but a little tempermental about magazines. The most expensive gun I have ever bought was a Kimber Gold Match, which had several problems and was sold in favor of a Gold Cup. The GC was just as accurate, totally reliable, and cost $500 less. I'm not saying all Kimbers are junk, but other brands seem to have better rates of happy owners. KImber's big claimed to fame is they don't rattle when shaken - but that one feature does not guarantee reliability, or accuracy.

[Linked Image]

Nice bunch of pistols, all 45ACP?

"Knowledge is good"
� Emil Faber
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
two 10mm's, three .45's

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

546 members (24HourCampFireGuy50, 270wsmnutt, 10gaugemag, 1234, 257Bob, 58 invisible), 2,793 guests, and 1,108 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,194,597
Posts18,532,523
Members74,041
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.