Next Thread
Print Thread
Hop To
byc Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Headed down late July.

Anyone fishing the jetty's at Garden City and Murrells Inlet this season? If so, are you catching anything besides sharks? Has to be a ton of flounder in there.

Shrimp and blue crabs maybe?

Thanks,

David

Proud to be a true Sandlapper!!

Go Nats!!!!

GB1

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Wish I could offer some info, but we didn't go this year(economy and 2 girls getting out of grad school).
I do need some rub and advice on brisket in a smoker.

CO School of Trades, Gunsmithing, '76
Clemson University '74
Go Tigers
byc Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Call me this afternoon Claude.

David

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
I lived there for 6 years and fished that area more than anywhere else. Too early for the really good mullet action. Should see some small schools sporadically. Spanish and blues always seemed to cruise within casting distance of the weirs during low light levels early and late. Mostly late in the afternoon on moving tides.

Jigging plastic swim grubs tipped with a small strip of squid should get your flounder, as will small spoons fluttered around the pilings and rollers. Reds and trout should be good on the north jetty. Watch the south side to see what happens on each tide. Sometimes it is worth the walk up Huntington Beach to fish that side particularly on a falling tide. The sand fleas can be bad though.

I have caught some small kings on the same jetty mid to late summer on live mullet rigged to stay on the surface. Seems to keep the sharks away that way as well.

Last year we did well on whiting with squid strips on falling tides by getting loonngg casts with superlines out as far as we could cast. No one was catching them in close on the beach, we loaded a cooler.

Good luck. Check back to let me know how you do. I should be down that way Aug 14-20th

Nothing is fool proof for a sufficiently talented fool !!

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

byc Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Headed down Saturday for the week. Thinking I'll focus on blue crabs, flounder, and maybe a shark or two at the jetty. Yeah, we hit blues, mullet and bait during the day. So easy to see them heading to the rocks with no way out. Casting net for sure. And watching for the shark that always stirs them up right in front me. Will be sure to post up after!

Great avatar btw! Go Gamecocks!

Go Nats!!!!

IC B2

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
My sister is at Marlin Quay this week on vac. ,go figure she lives 1 block from the Wacha Wachee marina, she doesn't fish unless she goes with me and I can't make this year, so I can't offer any advice.
I will be deer hunting 8/17-8/21 at our place in Chas.
Good luck David, hope you get a boat load of flatties.
Will there be a Eastern Gathering of 24 CF this year, we need to get Fyshbum down ? I will bring some Applejack, Duke's and fried bologna.

Clemson University '74
Go Tigers
byc Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Is your sister good looking? wink I may just have to take a stroll up to the marina for one of those large bags of ice!! Thanks for the good fishing wishes Claude.

We should hold a local event. I know several from this site who would attend.

btw had a fried bologna sandwich at the Asheville Farmers Market last week. Forgot just how good they were!

See ya' when I return.

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rrconductor
My sister is at Marlin Quay this week on vac. ,go figure she lives 1 block from the Wacha Wachee marina, she doesn't fish unless she goes with me and I can't make this year, so I can't offer any advice.
I will be deer hunting 8/17-8/21 at our place in Chas.
Good luck David, hope you get a boat load of flatties.
Will there be a Eastern Gathering of 24 CF this year, we need to get Fyshbum down ? I will bring some Applejack, Duke's and fried bologna.

I say it is about time we Easterners had that rendevous.

Hadn't heard Marlin Quay and Wacha Watchee in a while.

Used to wait tables at Sunnyside back in the day in Murrels Inlet.

We would pick up boaters from Wacha Watchee for dinner service.

Pick a date and lets sit a spell....

"Keep your booger hook off the bang switch until your sights are on the target".

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
Did you wait tables for Johnny and Bubbie Vereen?

Clemson University '74
Go Tigers
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Bubby and Angie 1992-95; while I finished my degree from USC Coastal. I was their only male waiter. Bartended part time as well at the Side Porch.
Lived in Conway in Myrtle Greens from 1990-1995. Worked at Rolands before that on 501 with Bill and Roger after Roland sold the place. I was on the archery pro staff.
I was one of the directors of Sandune Archery Club in Myrtle Beach. Member at Winyah Archery Club in Georgetown. I have very fond memories of living there, we just could not get good enough jobs to stay, or we would have.

IC B3

R
Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
R
let's try and get together in the fall and catch some trout, and spottail bass.

Clemson University '74
Go Tigers
byc Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by fyshbum

Good luck. Check back to let me know how you do. I should be down that way Aug 14-20th

We hit gold soaking pots in and around docks on the back creeks. Lots of blue fatties that were about 6+ inches wide. Used menhaden and mullet in the pots. In fact, we caught so many jumbos that we couldn't even eat them all. So we turned them back to The Maker **sigh**. Fishing was a bit slow but aside from 2 days of really bad flies and skeeters the week was great. I always believed when the winds are in from the West the insects find Murrels Inlet.

Back to fishing we pulled in some nice reds and smaller flounder but did the right thing and gave them back. Mud minnows and live bait were in abundance but the big boys escaped us. Even the boaters were missing, which made me feel better. wink

My feet look like a piece of strip steak as result of fighting the barnacles on the jetty's so take some sort of footwear if you plan to hit the rocks. Mid week I just waded out to the North jetty and stayed the tide. I do love that jetty and Garden City/Murrells Inlet.

This months South Carolina Sportsman Magazine has a great article on fishing that area of Murrells Inlet. You can grab a free a copy at the bait shop just inside of 17 business at Murrells.

http://www.southcarolinasportsman.c...ory=103&region=&byline=&key=

Saltwater Series: Making the Most of Murrells Inlet
By Dan Kibler
You can�t blame Englis Glover for expressing his love � loud and long � for Murrells Inlet. After all, he grew up barely a long cast from its waters and, except for an interruption of several years while chasing and hitting a little white ball as a golf pro, he�s always called the little fishing village on the lower end of the Grand Strand home.

Go Nats!!!!

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It always amazed me how many crabs are in the back creeks. Nobody seems to go after them. I watched one gentleman gig them off of the pilings and break off the claws for the cook pot and throw the rest of the crab back into the creek!!

Between Murrels and Georgetown you can lose a lot of blood to the bugs with no wind or wind from the wrong direction.

I always used to keep all leather "jetty shoes", tennis shoes, to try to keep the barnicles at bay.

"There goes the neighborhood" eek

Did you have any problem with fishing room?

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
Originally Posted by rrconductor
let's try and get together in the fall and catch some trout, and spottail bass.

Sorry, it took me a little time to get back to you.

I would love to give it a try. Do you have a boat? What time period are you thinking? How do you like to fish for them?

byc Offline OP
Campfire 'Bwana
OP Offline
Campfire 'Bwana
Originally Posted by fyshbum

Did you have any problem with fishing room?

None whatsoever! The locals, (including me), down this way are pretty good about that.

Hope you catch a ton!

Go Nats!!!!

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

84 members (35, Akhutr, 10gaugemag, akrange, 15 invisible), 1,659 guests, and 853 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,628
Posts18,492,940
Members73,977
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.