Print Thread
Hop To
Page 1 of 2 1 2
K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
Admirable, in many ways, in my book. 8:40 mark for the actual stop.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=176_1310452930

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
Good way to get killed..whether he's in the right or not!

Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger
We have open carry here in Wa as well, and I have a CCW permit but I take care most of the time to not have my firearms show out openly. To get the masses who do not carry all fired up unecesarily is not the best way to keep open carry legal in my view. Rights do come with a few responsabilities as well. I have been known to carry a rifle or two in a scabbard or in my Eblerelstck backpack when on my motorcycle a time or two so I am not afraid at all to be seen gun in hand, I just try not to be overly 'in your face' about it so as to keep our image as responsable gun owner citizens in tact. If I were to see a person walking in a highly populated region with a presumably loaded AK or similar I would follow him closely from behind with my hand on or very near my yet holstered cocked and locked Kimber 45 so that in the event he WAS a nutball bent on mass murder I could hopefully put a stop to such early on.

Legal, probably. Admireable? Not in my book. Adviseable? Also a big NYET in my view.

LOVE God, LOVE your family, LOVE your country, LIKE guns and sports.

About 2016 team "R" candidates "We definitely need a crew with a sack of balls the size of hot water bottles, bloviated estrogen leaking feel-gooders need not apply." Gunner 500
R
Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
R
He's not doing the second amendment any favors. If a statement needs made, I don't believe he's the one to make it.

We may know the time Ben Carson lied, but does anyone know the time Hillary Clinton told the truth?

Immersing oneself in progressive lieberalism is no different than bathing in the sewage of Hell.
B
Campfire Oracle
Campfire Oracle
B
Foolhardy.

It should have been a FAL.

IC B2

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
It should have been a FAL.

Yeah, and a .358 Win. FAL at that.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Those that go looking for trouble will find it eventually. All it will take is some young officer not fully up on the law, or one that interprets his back and forth as escalating hostility, then these videos will end rather abruptly.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
Originally Posted by kamo_gari
Admirable, in many ways, in my book. 8:40 mark for the actual stop.

http://www.liveleak.com/view?i=176_1310452930

While it may well be legal it was not wise. He came across as a nut case to me. In my opinion he was unnecessarily provocative. In today's climate I have no intention of drawing attention to myself. I have a CCW permit but take great pains not to be obvious while carrying.

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
Stupid.

No reason to draw attention to yourself, unless you're looking for attention.

JEff

K
Campfire Outfitter
OP Offline
Campfire Outfitter
K
I agree that what he did wasn't the best way to do it, but again, think it somewhat admirable to risk a confrontation to solidify his rights, so to speak.

For several years I took a whole lot of harrassment from Boston area LEOs, many of whom wanted me hauled off in chains--and said so, in no uncertani terms--for hunting waterfowl in urban areas, despite my knowing it was 100% legal. Had I let them run me off, there would've been a poor message sent to the local hunters: don't bother standning up for your rights, as it's a nuisance, unsafe and can get you into heaps of big trouble.

Instead, I stood my ground, handed over the applicable statutes, insisted the EPOs get called, and *proved* to the local city cops I was in the right, time and time again.

I went from being hassled by authorities, some with guns drawn, from 5 separate agenices/municipalities in the first couple of seasons, to *none* in the ten years since. Once it was clear to the *authorities* that I was duly licensed, had all proper stamps, tags, permits and was within my rights, and was nothing more than a waterfowler doing my thing, I was left alone. It went from looking to arrest me as a common criminal and to confiscate my arms to a casual wave and an odd smile if any police responded to gunfire.

In some ways I feel like I did the other sportsmen who now enjoy being able to hunt in these areas without getting hassled or threatened a favor, at my own peril. Had I backed down and not stood my ground, well...

Sometimes it takes some drastic measures, or a persistent, stubborn SOB to make a point and get things done. Agree that the fellah with the AK was pushing it, but confess to being somewhat glad for that guy's fellow citizens who wish to exercise their right, and applaud him.

IC B3

Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
As a fan of open carry I think we need more people doing it to help raise the public and the law enforcement communities education on it. However this guy isn't the spokesman/poster boy I'd like to have out there.

Bottom line beggers can't be choosers and I'm glad he is doing what he is doing.

Campfire Regular
Campfire Regular
It is ALWAYS prudent in the world of today to be less "flash & dash" and more low key. I have a carry permit here in NY, but you would never know I even own a gun. If I carry, it is subliminal & concealed even though I can carry openly. Why aggravate circumstances? I live across the road from my business. Several years ago, I needed gasoline for my mower at the business & stood near the road at 6AM with a gas can, waiting for traffic so I could cross the road. In about 10 minutes, a NY State trooper cruised into the parking lot but I was out of sight getting ready to mow. In another 10 minutes 2 armed county sheriffs were walking in & saw me mowing. They stopped me and demanded ID & info. Eventually they realized my "Crime" was nothing. They then revealed that they had received a call about a man crossing the road with a gas can!! Wow-are we all in a different world !!

Campfire 'Bwana
Campfire 'Bwana
kamo gari san....the two situations are not really comparable. you have no choice but to be openly blazing away at those poor ducks if you want to kill them, and doing it on the legal waters of the commonwealth because that's where they were and where you wanted to hunt. the video guy seemed to pretty much just gin up a controversy just for the sake of doing it.

Proudly representing oil companies, defense contractors, and firearms manufacturers since 1980. Because merchants of death need lawyers, too.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Poor ducks, he said. They bite, y'know! wink

N
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
N
Hey, you're lhonda again. WTF, over.

George

�Out of every one hundred men, ten shouldn't even be there, eighty are just targets, nine are the real fighters, and we are lucky to have them, for they make the battle. Ah, but the one, one is a warrior, and he will bring the others back.�
Campfire Ranger
Campfire Ranger

Originally Posted by NH K9
Hey, you're lhonda again. WTF, over.

George

Ah,..he's on his phone again...

In this day and age, I WANT the cops to stop and hassle somebody carrying an AK-47. Too many wackos out there living on the edge. If they're legit so be it and let them walk.

And I believe that if you're open carrying and AK you should be prepared for the cops to question you. Although it's perfectly legal, its not something at most folks "normally" do.

Campfire Kahuna
Campfire Kahuna
I don't go looking for trouble, he was I believe. There are better ways of handling the issues.

What you did was a different story, as Steve said, ya had to be blasting the poor ducks and gunfire usually draws attention in other than rural or known hunting areas. But the cops SHOULD have known the law!

George Orwell was a Prophet, not a novelist. Read 1984 and then look around you!

Old cat turd!

"Some men just need killing." ~ Clay Allison.

I am too old to fight but I can still pull a trigger. ~ Me

R
Campfire Outfitter
Campfire Outfitter
R
Just this week, at the local Walgreens, there was a sweeeeeeet young thang shopping around the joint with a Glock on her hip, and a couple of spare mags on her belt, too. To tell the truth, other than notice her obvious charms, I didn't think much about it, Kentucky has open, OR concealed carry, though Louisville frowns on open carry, as it upsets the ninnies and nannies. Louisville is a pretty liberal town in a vast sea of red.

I dunno, she might have been an off-duty cop-ette, but she was wearing Uncle Mike's cheapazz holster/gear, so I kinda doubt it.

You can roll a turd in peanuts, dip it in chocolate, and it still ain't no damn Baby Ruth.
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
Originally Posted by Steve_NO
kamo gari san....the two situations are not really comparable. you have no choice but to be openly blazing away at those poor ducks if you want to kill them, and doing it on the legal waters of the commonwealth because that's where they were and where you wanted to hunt. the video guy seemed to pretty much just gin up a controversy just for the sake of doing it.

Bingo, therein lies my point. It's a far cry from taking a few waterfowl with a shotgun, as opposed to walking the streets back and forth with an AK seeking a confrontation with police officers.

For me, my choice was to move back to the country where I can walk right out my backdoor and shoot as much as I like.

"If dogs don't go to heaven, when I die I want to go wherever they went." -Will Rogers

"If you have a lot of self control you don't need a lot of government control" - Thomas Sowell
W
Campfire Tracker
Campfire Tracker
W
Was he just standing up for his rights to open carry?? Or was he standing up for OUR RIGHTS as well??

Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderated by  RickBin 

Link Copied to Clipboard
AX24

119 members (470Evans, 44mc, 375TN, 7887mm08, 35, 21, 14 invisible), 1,555 guests, and 973 robots.
Key: Admin, Global Mod, Mod
Forum Statistics
Forums81
Topics1,192,243
Posts18,485,956
Members73,967
Most Online11,491
Jul 7th, 2023

Fish & Game Departments | Solunar Tables | Mission Statement | Privacy Policy | Contact Us | DMCA
Hunting | Fishing | Camping | Backpacking | Reloading | Campfire Forums | Gear Shop
Copyright © 2000-2024 24hourcampfire.com, Inc. All Rights Reserved.